E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 06:55 PM   #61
q0192837465

My Ride: 99.4 A4, 03 330xi
Send a message via ICQ to q0192837465
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogg320 View Post
Hey, if it works, it works

I had a little bit of the same baked-on crud on my VANOS unit, I don't think it's anything to worry about. If your VANOS starts to go bad, then you have a problem. Until then, don't worry about it

Also note the lack of chocolate milk in my engine. Here's a closeup of where there isn't chocolate milk:

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the valve cover itself, but I assure you there was no chocolate milk there either

Wow, ur engine is clean. BTW, can u re-use all the screws/bolts/nuts & wut not? Do we need to buy new ones?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:44 AM   #62
frogg320

My Ride: 2000 323i
Yeah, unless they're screwed up (no pun intended) they're fine. I cleaned each one off with a rag before I reinstalled it, you want to make sure the threads are clean before you try to bolt them back in. And new valve cover nut gaskets, obviously...that's actually where my leak started from (although I caught it well before anything was burning off)
frogg320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #63
i0kr1sol

My Ride: 330ci
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of doing this DIY - everything is off except the crankcase vent tube. I can't seem to pull it off. Can I spray something like brake cleaner or WD40 on it? Or what do you suggest?

i0kr1sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:04 AM   #64
frogg320

My Ride: 2000 323i
Pull harder?
frogg320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:51 AM   #65
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0kr1sol View Post
Hey guys, I'm in the middle of doing this DIY - everything is off except the crankcase vent tube. I can't seem to pull it off. Can I spray something like brake cleaner or WD40 on it? Or what do you suggest?
I'd probably spray a little WD-40, but mine came out quite easily. Just make sure to firmly pinch it to release the clips and wiggle it loose if it is tight.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #66
i0kr1sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogg320 View Post
Pull harder?
LOL, I did. Pulled so hard that I cracked the little spinning thing a little.

Quote:
I'd probably spray a little WD-40, but mine came out quite easily. Just make sure to firmly pinch it to release the clips and wiggle it loose if it is tight.

So you think its safe to spray a bit of WD40? Mine does not want to budge.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:05 AM   #67
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by i0kr1sol View Post
LOL, I did. Pulled so hard that I cracked the little spinning thing a little.

So you think its safe to spray a bit of WD40? Mine does not want to budge.
Yours is probably old and brittle from the years of heat. These end up cracking on a lot of people. Maybe just use some force to get it off and buy a new one which should be good for another 5-10 years.

And WD-40 is a pretty safe, and this breather hose is only to remove blow-by gasses anyway.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:25 AM   #68
i0kr1sol

thanks for the quick reply's mkodama, will try the wd40 tomorrow and when I get the car running, ill run to the dealer and get a new one and replace it.
Old 05-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #69
Sharky06

My Ride: 06 ZHP 6-SP
Send a message via AIM to Sharky06
subscribed
Old 05-24-2009, 01:04 PM   #70
rmavin

My Ride: 2003 330i
Hi guys

This is my first post so please be gentle. I just finished changing my valve cover gasket on a 2003 300i. The gasket was very hard and brittle. It was almost impossible to take off without cracking it and having pieces flying around and some did, they were about 1/8" x 1/8".

One piece fell into a spark plug well into the combustion chamber. A few landed on top of the cylinder head. Should I be concerned?

My gut tells me that the piece that landed in the combustion chamber would just get burned and blown out. The cylinder head pieces would either get crushed by the camshaft/etc or caught by the oil filter. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks
rmavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:12 PM   #71
inlinesicks

My Ride: E46, Jeep, Subaru
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmavin View Post
Hi guys

This is my first post so please be gentle. I just finished changing my valve cover gasket on a 2003 300i. The gasket was very hard and brittle. It was almost impossible to take off without cracking it and having pieces flying around and some did, they were about 1/8" x 1/8".

One piece fell into a spark plug well into the combustion chamber. A few landed on top of the cylinder head. Should I be concerned?

My gut tells me that the piece that landed in the combustion chamber would just get burned and blown out. The cylinder head pieces would either get crushed by the camshaft/etc or caught by the oil filter. Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks
I would be worried about the piece that went in the combustion chamber, there is a pretty good chance that would damage the rings and/or cylinder wall, I would try anything to get it out maybe a vacuum and make some sort of long thin hose to suck it out through the spark plug well.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:39 PM   #72
rmavin

what about the pieces on top of the cylinder head? And just for reference, the pieces are about the size of an oatmeal flake.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:43 PM   #73
inlinesicks

Quote:
what about the pieces on top of the cylinder head? And just for reference, the pieces are about the size of an oatmeal flake.
Well its never good to get any kind of debris in you engine so you should try to get it out but if its not possible I wouldnt really worry about it to much, like you said it will probably just end up in the oil filter.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:45 PM   #74
inlinesicks

Oh and by the way, welcome to the forum
Old 05-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #75
mkodama

Quote:
Hi guys

Thanks
This is why never do work on the engine with the head ports uncovered or spark plugs removed.

I would just hope for the best since the only way to get them out would be to remove the head which is $$$$.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:15 PM   #76
inlinesicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
this is why never do work on the engine with the head ports uncovered or spark plugs removed.

I would just hope for the best since the only way to get them out would be to remove the head which is $$$$.
+1
Old 05-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #77
rmavin

So yeah, I am hoping for the best now. It would be a real bummer if something bad happens. I turned on the ignition, and so far so good. The engine revs fine and I don't hear any weird noises.

What should I be looking for? Or is it one of those problems that doesn't present itself immediately and I have to wait a few months/years before something happens?
Old 05-24-2009, 03:42 PM   #78
mkodama

Quote:
So yeah, I am hoping for the best now. It would be a real bummer if something bad happens. I turned on the ignition, and so far so good. The engine revs fine and I don't hear any weird noises.

What should I be looking for? Or is it one of those "hidden problems"?
Well, if your engine already started up and is running, than you should be good. The little bits of what not probably just got melted and burned away. Hopefully you have learned your lesson though. If it was something like a bolt or nut, then you would have had to completely remove the head to retrieve it, or possibly use some weird contraption to remove it.

Old 05-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #79
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci
great write up. Ill be doing this soon.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:03 PM   #80
mkodama

Thank you!