E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #1
SotaWerks

My Ride: 325xi
e92 M3 wheels on e46 xi?

I am looking to get a new set of wheels for my 2002 xi and I really like the looks of the e92 M3 wheels.

Is it ok to put new m3 reps on an old xi?
Should I go ahead and throw an M3 badge on the trunk while I am at it or am I ok?

If those wheels are a no-no for my car then do you have any suggestions for a similar style wheel that would look good?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Attached Images

SotaWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by SotaWerks View Post
I am looking to get a new set of wheels for my 2002 xi and I really like the looks of the e92 M3 wheels.

Is it ok to put new m3 reps on an old xi?
Should I go ahead and throw an M3 badge on the trunk while I am at it or am I ok?

If those wheels are a no-no for my car then do you have any suggestions for a similar style wheel that would look good?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Is that a joke or are you serious?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 AW 325ci
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Depending if its the proper width and offset, the wheels may or may not fit. Post specs and we can help you out.

-Charles@VMRWheels

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:54 AM   #4
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
OE E46 M3 wheels will not fit due to the offset on the rear wheels being too low.

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:28 PM   #5
SotaWerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
The M3 badge is a joke. I am basically wondering if putting M3 reps on my xi would be comparable to putting on an M3 badge or if it would be acceptable.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:30 PM   #6
currbear29

My Ride: 2002 325 xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
lol
currbear29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
SotaWerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary@Tirerack View Post
OE E46 M3 wheels will not fit due to the offset on the rear wheels being too low.
I would be looking to put M3 reps on my car. I found a set at powerwheelspro.com that I like. They told me that I would be able to get a square set of 19x8.5 wheels which have an offset of 35.

I compared this set of wheels with the stock wheels that I have and I would end up with 6mm of extra clearance on the inside but the wheels would stick out an extra 18mm on the outside.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:44 PM   #8
Arsevader

My Ride: '90 325i, '02 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by SotaWerks View Post
I would be looking to put M3 reps on my car. I found a set at powerwheelspro.com that I like. They told me that I would be able to get a square set of 19x8.5 wheels which have an offset of 35.

I compared this set of wheels with the stock wheels that I have and I would end up with 6mm of extra clearance on the inside but the wheels would stick out an extra 18mm on the outside.
19s will look like a 4x4 unless you plan on dropping it.

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #9
SotaWerks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsevader View Post
19s will look like a 4x4 unless you plan on dropping it.
I would probably drop it in a year when my extended service warranty runs out. If I was to put springs on it now it would probably void a lot of my warranty.

On that note, I'm a little hesitant to put springs on my xi because I am a little worried about causing other problems with the suspension due to the lowered stance. Would H&R springs with stock shocks cause the shocks to wear out sooner? Would the lowered stance put more strain on the CV boots and cause them to fail sooner? These are just a couple of the things that I worry would add a lot of cost to lowering the car. Buying the springs and having them installed wouldn't break me but the potential cost of replacing warn out shocks or CV boots that were ruined because of the aftermarket springs is concerning to me. Is that a valid concern or am I overestimating the strain that the springs would put on the rest of my suspension.

I know that lowering springs really don't fall into the tire and wheel category but I thought I would run with it since the issue of dropping my car popped up.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:26 PM   #10
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
I have the same concerns and hesitation you do. Have not heard any credible evidence that your concerns are not justified, only occassional minimization from vendors who stand to profit from my purchase of lowering springs. I now have a broken rear spring so replacement will soon be necessary. Hopefully, you will get feedback from users who have made the change and have enough miles to give you a balanced view on how lowering impacts the front axles.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote