E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average. Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 01:47 PM   #1
gphillips

My Ride: E46 330i Sport
E46 CD changer "no disc" error and no mag movement

My CD changer has developed a fault today and will not load any CDs. The display reads "no disc" after the initial CD seek. I have removed all the CDs and the caddy and moved the disc order but still it is the same.

I notice that although I can hear a motor whirring in the changer, the drawers are not actually opening (this used to happen as it checked each disc)

Is there something I could try by stripping this down? Perhaps a gear or part has slipped or jammed?

Also, is it easy to remove the changer from a Cabriolet? it looks like there is a lot of boot lining to remove first?

Thanks

Last edited by gphillips; 11-21-2008 at 02:06 PM.
gphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-21-2008, 02:49 PM   #2
sin11234

My Ride: iwntmorHRSPWRthnpsts
Send a message via AIM to sin11234
sorry to hi-jack....what magazine fits for an 01 330i sedan with a tape deck 6cd changer?
Old 11-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
gphillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by sin11234 View Post
sorry to hi-jack....what magazine fits for an 01 330i sedan with a tape deck 6cd changer?
one like this... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-BMW-MI...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 11-21-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
sin11234

My Ride: iwntmorHRSPWRthnpsts
Send a message via AIM to sin11234
thanks and maybe you should try taking the cartridge out and cleaning the discs.
Old 11-21-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Occasionally I get the same error and simply ejecting and reinserting the disk cartridge fixes it.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:38 AM   #6
gphillips

I think the problem is mechaical as regardless of if there is a disc in each tray or not,the trays are all opened when the magazne is first inserted to check the contents of each. This is no longer happening. I can hear the motor, but the trays are not being opened (I can see as i have pulled the top cover off)

I am going to try and take the unit out today and bring it indoors, but I would like some hints as to what I am looking for once I get into it.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #7
ers51

My Ride: 325 Msport
Fairly common problem this.As a couple of the guys suggested ejecting the cassette and shuffling the discs usually does the trick.If one has jammed[like I had].the main body of the cd can be stripped down with a bit of patience.

Is that SUNDERLAND as in the north east of England?

ers51
ers51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 08:09 AM   #8
gphillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ers51 View Post
Fairly common problem this.As a couple of the guys suggested ejecting the cassette and shuffling the discs usually does the trick.If one has jammed[like I had].the main body of the cd can be stripped down with a bit of patience.

Is that SUNDERLAND as in the north east of England?

ers51
sure is
Old 11-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #9
ers51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphillips View Post
sure is
Up the Magpies...only kidding....

Good to see another Brit. on the forum theres not many about.Do u post on BMWland.its a busy site although some of the warlords are a bit up their own arse.

hope u sort out the cd prob.

ers51
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	292923  
Old 11-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #10
gphillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by ers51 View Post
Up the Magpies...only kidding....

Good to see another Brit. on the forum theres not many about.Do u post on BMWland.its a busy site although some of the warlords are a bit up their own arse.

hope u sort out the cd prob.

ers51
Ha! I'm not much of a footie fan but If I were, I'm a newcastle fan. I'm not from Sunderland originally!

I havent really posted anywhere but here, but Ive never had much of a response to anything so far!

I removed the CD player and opened it up. I couldnt see anything obvioulsy wrong with it so I chucked some silicon spray into it as a lubricant and put it all back together. Guess what, it works! - so far so good.

I was up in Scotland a few months ago - I went with a few friends to see the British Touring Car championship at Knockhill circuit. It was a great day out.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:25 AM   #11
ers51

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphillips View Post
Ha! I'm not much of a footie fan but If I were, I'm a newcastle fan. I'm not from Sunderland originally!

I havent really posted anywhere but here, but Ive never had much of a response to anything so far!

I removed the CD player and opened it up. I couldnt see anything obvioulsy wrong with it so I chucked some silicon spray into it as a lubricant and put it all back together. Guess what, it works! - so far so good.

I was up in Scotland a few months ago - I went with a few friends to see the British Touring Car championship at Knockhill circuit. It was a great day out.
Glad to hear the CD was ok. I'm about an hours drive from Knockhill although I've only been there once and that was to watch local guys sidecar racing.
One of them was recently telling me that Knockhill was going down the pan to expensive to watch or race although its still well thought of by the pro's.
Try clicking on www.bmwland.co.uk for the British forum.
Cheers
ers51
Old 12-27-2008, 12:38 AM   #12
gamin_heart

My Ride: 2002 325CI
hey guys im having the same issue,
All of a sudden its showing NO DISC and when i insert the magazine, it whirs abit & stops, so its not really opening the trays.

I know i have to take the stack out, but i dont know how, any pictures?
i cant seem to get by the first stage of removing the plastic cover.
gamin_heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:46 AM   #13
Darkoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamin_heart View Post
hey guys im having the same issue,
All of a sudden its showing NO DISC and when i insert the magazine, it whirs abit & stops, so its not really opening the trays.

I know i have to take the stack out, but i dont know how, any pictures?
i cant seem to get by the first stage of removing the plastic cover.
Here's a step by step DIY showing how to remove the CD Changer....
http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_alpine.shtml
Old 12-27-2008, 01:01 AM   #14
gamin_heart

thanks for the, ill check it out!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:19 PM   #15
gamin_heart

ok i pulled the entire stacker out, and thats as far as i was able to go.
i had to dis-assemble the player to see where the motor is getting stuck & not pulling the CDs out, but thats as far as my technical brain can go, im not gonna risk disassembling the entire unit. anything i can spray in there?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #16
Darkoz

Give it a squirt with some silicon spray
Old 12-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #17
gamin_heart

okiz, ill give that a shot.
Thnx 4 the advice...
Old 12-28-2008, 07:54 PM   #18
gamin_heart

im buying the silicon spray today.
I called BMW spare parts, they quoted me $750 AUD for a replacement.

I called Alpine, and they said dont spray anything in it and that i should send it for repair.

i think they justs aid that because they want to make money...some people here have stripped it and assembled it and got it working, i dont have the guts to do that
if the spray doesnt work..should i take it to an electrician or is there a way i can replace it with a standard MP3 Player deck?
Old 12-29-2008, 02:08 AM   #19
Darkoz

I'd give it a shot with the silicon spray first, make sure you only spray the mechanical parts and not any electronics.
Sending it in for repairs could end up being very costly, your other alternatives are to ditch the CD changer and get a new head unit with MP3 function (in my opinion would look ugly having an after market unit in the dash) or go for the DICE add on or similar.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #20
gamin_heart

Im going to give it a spray today, i bought the silicon spray,
yes it would certainly look ugly having "Kenwood" on the deck instead of the original BMW Business, (even tho its a tape deck)
i was looking at the DICE ipon addon replacement to the stacker, but read alot of people have had issues with it needing resetting when the car is turned off, or it stuffs around, etc
do you think taking it to an auto electrician if the spray fails would do? i dont know how good they are are playing with Alpine stackers