E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #1
Nismode

My Ride: Accord EX
Send a message via AIM to Nismode Send a message via MSN to Nismode Send a message via Yahoo to Nismode Send a message via Skype™ to Nismode
************* - Potentially Useful App for Windows, iPhone, Windows Mobile

[IMG]http://www.*************/images/trapster1sm.png[/IMG]

Quote:

* HOW TRAPSTER® WORKS
* VIEW PRESENTATION
* COMMUNITY GUIDELINES
* FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

A LITTLE ABOUT TRAPSTER® & WHAT MAKES IT UNIQUE

When you see a trap, report it by pressing a button on your phone, or calling a toll free number. Other user's phones will alert them as they approach the trap. Trapster® learns the credibility of traps based on how many users agree. It also learns the credibility of each user, over time.

Click Here to watch a demo video of Trapster®

So how does it work? Our goal is to make it so simple that you don't need to know. But in case you are interested, it combines technologies such as GPS and wireless location, voice transcription, geocoding, reverse geocoding, and SMS, with a central database server. It communicates in real time, using the Internet.
Why you need trapster® even if you already have a radar detector

Even the latest, most expensive radar detectors are useless against modern police enforcement technologies such as instant-on and and laser. Your radar/laser detector will still beep, but in almost all cases, only after it is too late. The only way a radar or laser detector can help you is if it beeps in time for you to slow down before the officer gets a reading on your speed. With instant-on and laser, this only happens if the officer activates early or "misses" the shot, and some of the signal leaks past a car in front of you. Radar detectors are still effective for more traditional (Ka etc.) band radar. We recommend that you use both Trapster® and a radar/laser detector for the best possible coverage. Also radar detectors are illegal in many US states, and are illegal nationwide for commercial vehicles.
A map of speed traps on a Web site will NOT help you avoid a ticket

Police are not stupid. They change the locations where they set up speed traps many times per day. Only real time data is useful. Trapster® data is real time data.

Speed trap location data is only useful if you can actually use it. You can't just look on a map and memorize all the trap locations. Trapster® continuously communicates with your mobile phone or connected device (for example the Dash Express or CarPC). Data is never stale. And it's FREE.

What about my Garmin/TomTom?. After about a gazillion of you (our users) asked for Garmin / TomTom support, we implemented it! We have done our best to simulate real time data. Sign up and check out our innovative approach to setting areas, times, days, and alert types of interest, and for automated notifications!

Don't I need a bunch of users in my area before Trapster® is effective?

No. Obviously the more users in your area, the better, but you only need a few active users in your area for Trapster® live police reports to be effective. Get some friends to sign up! Why not? It's FREE! If you don't have any friends, we are very sorry to hear that, but the good news is that you can still set reminders about hiding spots or photo enforcement points for yourself, even if there are no other users in your area.

Aren't there already Web sites that list red light camera and speed trap locations?

Trapster® isn't a Web site. It's a mobile phone application and real time speed trap sharing system that happens to also have a Web site.

Could pranksters or even the police themselves come up with ways to trick the system?

Of course. People can game eBay rankings or Google search ranks too, and they do. The algorithms are still useful and effective for the majority of users, the majority of the time. As far as Officers - they are way too busy to go to all that trouble. They don't take it nearly that seriously.

Isn't this fundamentally wrong or illegal or something?

If you are concerned you should probably check the laws in your state or country, but our lawyers don't think so. In fact, the police we've spoken with actually like the idea. It beeps, people slow down, they have met their objective, you save money on the ticket and insurance, and everyone is happy. The police can always find plenty of other people to issue violations to. People who don't use Trapster®, that is.

As far as the ethics of it all: Speed limits are listed as fixed, but enforced as guidelines. Here in Southern California where we are located, traffic never moves at or under the speed limit. This means good-intentioned drivers often end up not only with a ticket, but confused and angry about why they were chosen. Unfortunately speed traps are sometimes created and enforced as intentionally deceptive revenue generators, but this is the exception rather than the rule. We think most police just want you to slow down. You can either have them pull you over to tell you that personally, or allow your phone the chance to save them the trouble.
www.*************

Seems like something that can be useful once it catches on. Free for Windows, iPhone, and WinMo. I downloaded it for all three
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
vitamin water = Kool-Aid for white people
Need a photoshoot? PM me for details.
Nismode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 01:34 PM   #2
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
seems like a cool idea.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:29 PM   #3
_.dstrukt.n1ne
libtorrent 0.13.3

My Ride: AC Schnitzer E46
Pretty accurate for my area.

Oregon, USA

2000 323i | Brembo | Technik | HRE | Toyo | Meguiar's | AC Schnitzer | Alpine | Alumapro | H&R| Porsche | ASA | MOMO | Rogue Engineering | Rennsport | Hamann | Supersprint

_.dstrukt.n1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Damn, I actually had the idea to integrate something like that into a radar detector. I'll have to dl it.

edit: My phone doesn't have GPS. Would it work with my car's GPS if I have them paired?

flickher

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 11-23-2008 at 03:51 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
Anub!s

My Ride: e92M, e46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
in b4 ...
Old 11-23-2008, 04:48 PM   #6
jgrecbets

My Ride: e65 750i / e90 328xi
Send a message via AIM to jgrecbets
fukin verizon

Internal gps on the phone won't work with this and verizon.. you need to buy an external gps attachment i guess
Old 11-23-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Nismode

Send a message via AIM to Nismode Send a message via MSN to Nismode Send a message via Yahoo to Nismode Send a message via Skype™ to Nismode
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
Damn, I actually had the idea to integrate something like that into a radar detector. I'll have to dl it.

edit: My phone doesn't have GPS. Would it work with my car's GPS if I have them paired?
Quote:
5) My BlackBerry keeps giving the message "Searching for Location...". Many BlackBerry Models are "GPS Ready" but do not actually have GPS hardware inside them. The TMobile Curve and most carrier's Pearls do not. You can check by clicking on the BlackBerry icon Options | Advanced Options | GPS | GPS Source. If it says "Internal" or "Device" then your BlackBerry has GPS hardware in it. Also, Verizon BlackBerry's have internal GPS, but Verizon blocks access to it by 3rd party applications (except for select fee based ones like Verizon Navigator). If you don't have internal GPS hardware, or you have a Verizon BlackBerry, then to use the Trapster® GPS application you will need to purchase one of these external Bluetooth GPS accessories, sometimes called the "puck".

Get this to GPS enable your BlackBerry
][IMG]http://www.*************/images/11V5GwMRJBL__SL160_.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.*************/images/ClickHereL.gif[/IMG]

You can order one from Amazon, or get it at your wireless store (though retail price at the store is sometimes 3 times as much!). These actually work quite a bit better than the internal GPS in our testing anyway. The battery lasts much longer without a recharge, and it receives the signal very well. In fact even though our BlackBerry's have internal GPS, we always use these instead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrecbets View Post
fukin verizon

Internal gps on the phone won't work with this and verizon.. you need to buy an external gps attachment i guess
Quote:
9) My phone supports TeleNav / Verizon Navigator, why can't it support Trapster®? Trapster® works on many types of "open" PDAs and smartphones. The list of supported types is here on the site. The Trapster® J2ME application will work on any "open" handset that supports Java and location services - the problem is that most US carriers block 3rd party applications from accessing the GPS information on "flip phone" type handsets (e.g. RAZR), or being installed in the first place. There are a select number of fee-based applications that are supported by US carriers (TeleNav and VZN for example). We think Trapster® should be allowed to run on any capable handset, from any carrier. Do you agree? Contact your carrier and request support for Trapster®!
Taken from the Trapster FAQ's.
Quote:
Old 11-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
Nismode

Just made a group called "E46Fanatics NY/NJ/CT". Join it via the website or I can invite you (invites are for email only unfortunately).
Quote:
Old 11-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
chris98891

My Ride: '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to chris98891
you can set it to just send you a text message when one is reported in your area. i have verizo too so this was the only alternative. i set it to cover like 20 sq miles around my house. pretty helpful.

chris98891 is offline   Reply With Quote