E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #1
217Bimmer

My Ride: Dodge Durango
Official Smoker Thread

Have wanted to get into smoking for a while now. previously have just used my Weber and have had ok results, but it's just a lot of work to babysit and refill fuel and wood chips.

Just picked up a Smoke Hollow electric smoker. Cheap and simple and has pretty good reviews. I need to season the thing first and then my first smoking attempt will be a wild turkey. Any suggestions? Thinking I'll brine overnight and then dry rub.

Anyone have some favorite smoking recipes?

Quote:
I always have to laugh when I see a thread described as "Not Work Safe." Is there anything on the OT forum that's really "work safe"? If I were your boss, I'd be mad if you spent any time on this forum at work at all. How is a picture of a naked girl any less work safe than, say, a picture of a matador getting gored in the *** by an angry bull? - VaderDave
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
SLVR JDM

My Ride: 4Runner
In. I recently received a Brinkmann electric smoker as a gift, yet to use it. I'm in new territory here, so I'm interested in hearing what others do.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #3
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
My budget style.
Looking for a good offset smoker.

Overnight brine, and Mccormick pork rub.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1461775177867.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	630566   Click image for larger version

Name:	1461775205322.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	630567   Click image for larger version

Name:	1461775225820.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	630568  

Last edited by VALMONT; 04-27-2016 at 11:41 AM.
VALMONT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #4
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Just got a Rec Tec pellet smoker/grill last month. Has a PID temp controller that can go from 180 degrees to 500 degrees. It's pretty awesome. Below 250 you get smoke, above 250 and it's basically a grill.

I would definitely brine that turkey. Throw in some garlic, bay, maybe some sage into the brine.

I just did a 20 lb turkey on Sunday. Did not brine. Did a dry rub of Montreal Steak Seasoning, paprika, garlic and pepper (which is essentially what's in the Montreal Steak Seasoning already, but I wanted to cut down on the salt). Filled the cavity with apples, oranges and onion. Smoked at 220 for 2 hours, then finished at 325 for 3 hours or so, until the breast hit 163 degrees.

This was my first turkey on the smoker/grill - but I've probably cooked 20 turkeys in the last 5 years. I was a little disappointed. It had very little smoke flavor - I think it didn't penetrate the skin and the skin wound up tough and a bit rubbery. The next time I want to really smoke a turkey, I'll probably remove the skin, which I would hate to do, but I think it's necessary. That or smoke long and slow and finish at some ridiculously high temp, like 450.

In the last few weeks I've cooked the following on the Rec Tec:

Baby back ribs (4 racks)
Chicken legs
Quartered chickens (2 chickens)
Chicken breasts (bone in)
Pork shoulder
Packer brisket
Sirloin steaks
Bacon
Pork loin (brined)
Chicken wings

The ribs, pork loin and bacon were by far the best. The pork shoulder was pretty good, as were the wings and steaks. The chicken, brisket and turkey need work. Chicken really needs high heat to crisp up the skin properly.

I also have a Mini Chief electric smoker that smokes at 180 degrees or so . . I use that for salmon. This recipe is out of this world: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/1i6fg956...ver-taste.html

Here's the Rec Tec in action. I'm still working on building a permanent shelter/patio for it.

brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:58 AM   #5
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMONT View Post
My budget style.
Looking for a good offset smoker.

Overnight brine, and Mccormick pork rub.
Oh yeah, looks great! how did it turn out? recipe?

I have the smokenator for my weber. basically an offset smoker that holds the coals and wood chips and has a water pan.

Hopefully we can keep this thread active with updates as people smoke stuff. i'll report back on seasoning my smoker lol

Quote:
I always have to laugh when I see a thread described as "Not Work Safe." Is there anything on the OT forum that's really "work safe"? If I were your boss, I'd be mad if you spent any time on this forum at work at all. How is a picture of a naked girl any less work safe than, say, a picture of a matador getting gored in the *** by an angry bull? - VaderDave
Old 04-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #6
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Just got a Rec Tec pellet smoker/grill last month. Has a PID temp controller that can go from 180 degrees to 500 degrees. It's pretty awesome. Below 250 you get smoke, above 250 and it's basically a grill.

I would definitely brine that turkey. Throw in some garlic, bay, maybe some sage into the brine.

I just did a 20 lb turkey on Sunday. Did not brine. Did a dry rub of Montreal Steak Seasoning, paprika, garlic and pepper (which is essentially what's in the Montreal Steak Seasoning already, but I wanted to cut down on the salt). Filled the cavity with apples, oranges and onion. Smoked at 220 for 2 hours, then finished at 325 for 3 hours or so, until the breast hit 163 degrees.

This was my first turkey on the smoker/grill - but I've probably cooked 20 turkeys in the last 5 years. I was a little disappointed. It had very little smoke flavor - I think it didn't penetrate the skin and the skin wound up tough and a bit rubbery. The next time I want to really smoke a turkey, I'll probably remove the skin, which I would hate to do, but I think it's necessary. That or smoke long and slow and finish at some ridiculously high temp, like 450.

In the last few weeks I've cooked the following on the Rec Tec:

Baby back ribs (4 racks)
Chicken legs
Quartered chickens (2 chickens)
Chicken breasts (bone in)
Pork shoulder
Packer brisket
Sirloin steaks
Bacon
Pork loin (brined)
Chicken wings

The ribs, pork loin and bacon were by far the best. The pork shoulder was pretty good, as were the wings and steaks. The chicken, brisket and turkey need work. Chicken really needs high heat to crisp up the skin properly.

I also have a Mini Chief electric smoker that smokes at 180 degrees or so . . I use that for salmon. This recipe is out of this world: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/1i6fg956...ver-taste.html

Here's the Rec Tec in action. I'm still working on building a permanent shelter/patio for it.

Love the handles on that thing! Definitely wins an award for looks! Great info. I have some salmon I need to cook, so will check out that recipe.

For crispy skin finishing on higher heat along with making sure there is a fat on the skin in the form of butter or oil seems to be best. Generally cooking to finish at 425 or so in an oven or grill should do it.

Quote:
Old 04-29-2016, 08:32 AM   #7
Wraisil

My Ride: 2010 Infiniti G37
Poultry gets no benefits from "low and slow". Crank up the heat, make sure the skin is dried out (~4 hours in the fridge after removing from the brine does a good job of this) before you apply butter or oil to the skin and then rub it down. I do poultry at 275, only because my electric smoker doesn't go higher. If you have good smoke rolling, a couple hours is more than enough time to get nice smoke flavor as poultry soaks up smoke flavor very well in my experience.

Now that you have an electric smoker I'll give you the best advice I've found regarding them.. switch to using pellets in an A-Maze-N tray or tube and you'll get good smoke production for 6+ hours if you want it without having to do anything (and 6 hours is enough smoke for anything). This is very helpful for overnight smokes, you can add chips once an hour.. staying up late into the night, or you can get pellets going and then go to sleep. I'm doing a 12lb brisket tonight and I'll get the hickory smoke rolling around 8-9 pm, put the brisket in about 30 minutes later (once I know the pellets are lit well) and then I won't need to touch the smoker until my temp probe tells me it's time to pull it off and separate the point for some burnt ends. Very convenient.
Wraisil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:18 AM   #8
217Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraisil View Post
Poultry gets no benefits from "low and slow". Crank up the heat, make sure the skin is dried out (~4 hours in the fridge after removing from the brine does a good job of this) before you apply butter or oil to the skin and then rub it down. I do poultry at 275, only because my electric smoker doesn't go higher. If you have good smoke rolling, a couple hours is more than enough time to get nice smoke flavor as poultry soaks up smoke flavor very well in my experience.

Now that you have an electric smoker I'll give you the best advice I've found regarding them.. switch to using pellets in an A-Maze-N tray or tube and you'll get good smoke production for 6+ hours if you want it without having to do anything (and 6 hours is enough smoke for anything). This is very helpful for overnight smokes, you can add chips once an hour.. staying up late into the night, or you can get pellets going and then go to sleep. I'm doing a 12lb brisket tonight and I'll get the hickory smoke rolling around 8-9 pm, put the brisket in about 30 minutes later (once I know the pellets are lit well) and then I won't need to touch the smoker until my temp probe tells me it's time to pull it off and separate the point for some burnt ends. Very convenient.
done and done, bro! asked for and got one for christmas for my regular grills, but had planned to use with the smoker as well.

what is your recommendation for temperature probe?

and burnt ends how do you do these?

Quote:

Last edited by 217Bimmer; 04-29-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:50 PM   #9
Wraisil

I use Maverick temperature probes right now, I have the ET-732, ET-733, and the bluetooth model currently, many people love the Tappecue or the iGrill though.
I separate the flat and the point at ~190F IT. A large chef's knife will find the fat layer easily for separating them. Then cube the point. I then coat with some additional rub (same rub used on the brisket) then lightly coat in a 50/50 mix of beef broth (from the brisket or made/bought is fine) and a KC style BBQ sauce and toss them in an aluminum pan back in the smoker for ~2-3 more hours (until they get a decent crunchy outside). A lot of people don't just toss in BBQ sauce but I find using the broth also helps with the flavor quite a bit.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:51 PM   #10
Wraisil

Here's brew's post with his brisket and burnt ends method too http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...postcount=2163
Old 04-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #11
217Bimmer

Quote:
I use Maverick temperature probes right now, I have the ET-732, ET-733, and the bluetooth model currently, many people love the Tappecue or the iGrill though.
I separate the flat and the point at ~190F IT. A large chef's knife will find the fat layer easily for separating them. Then cube the point. I then coat with some additional rub (same rub used on the brisket) then lightly coat in a 50/50 mix of beef broth (from the brisket or made/bought is fine) and a KC style BBQ sauce and toss them in an aluminum pan back in the smoker for ~2-3 more hours (until they get a decent crunchy outside). A lot of people don't just toss in BBQ sauce but I find using the broth also helps with the flavor quite a bit.
Quote:
Here's brew's post with his brisket and burnt ends method too http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...postcount=2163
Thanks. The brisket/ends are a lot less intimidating that I imagined. I'll look into the probes.

Quote:
Old 04-30-2016, 10:06 PM   #12
Wraisil

Much less.. it's really quite simple. Trim, rub, smoke, separate, cube, and finish
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1462071872283.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	630831   Click image for larger version

Name:	1462071894067.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	630832   Click image for larger version

Name:	1462071905538.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	630833  
Old 04-30-2016, 10:08 PM   #13
Wraisil

Here is the full packer smoked
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1462072096012.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	630834  

Last edited by Wraisil; 04-30-2016 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:47 AM   #14
217Bimmer

Looks good. My smoker is fairly small. The grates are like 11"x11" cooking area. Are there briskets that small? I know I can separate the point from the flat and cook separate.

Last weekend I smoked some chicken quarters. Came out pretty good. I think the heat was higher than the built in thermometer said so they cooked quicker than I thought. I need to get a new digital one. This weekend I'm doing a turkey my father in law shot this year. PLan to brine it overnight and then cook probably 6 hours give or take. Have hickory pellets, but not sure that is best smoke for poultry. Also have apple wood chips, but would rather use pellets on the amazin smoker.

Quote:
Old 05-04-2016, 08:52 AM   #15
SLVR JDM

My Ride: 4Runner
You ought to find the threads that "The Rib Doctor" used to post around here....that will get your mouth watering.