E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
It's BBQ season again!

Here's a simple, tasty recipe for charcoal grillin that will have them begging for more!

What you will need:
Method:
Put chicken, oil and generous amount of rub in a ziplock bag or snap-tight container. Shake well to get the rub evenly distributed. Set aside for at least 1 hour.
Prepare grill with charcoal piled off to one side for indirect cooking.
While charcoal is primed for cooking soak pecan wood chunks in water.
Once grill is ready, apply half of soaked pecan wood chunks directly to coals and put the seasoned chicken on the grill opposite the hot side.
Cover grill and keep it that way when not tending the chicken or smoke.
Flip the chicken every 10 minutes and add pecan wood when the smoke subsides.
Remove chicken when done and eat!

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.

Last edited by joeski3d; 04-15-2014 at 02:45 PM.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #2
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Oh man I have this grilled chicken recipe that people beg me to make all the time, neighbors can't get enough of it. It's freaking amazing. But I won't tell anyone the recipe.
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
joeski3d

Bitches love grilled chicken.

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:23 PM   #4
217Bimmer
Banned User

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Oh man I have this grilled chicken recipe that people beg me to make all the time, neighbors can't get enough of it. It's freaking amazing. But I won't tell anyone the recipe.
why not? we aren't just anyone here. plus, we are not local, so no stealing your thunder. if you post it i will refer to it as adam's bavarian chicken and will never pass it on.
217Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:58 PM   #5
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
why not? we aren't just anyone here. plus, we are not local, so no stealing your thunder. if you post it i will refer to it as adam's bavarian chicken and will never pass it on.
I believe he was making a statement about my smoked turkey secrets a few threads down.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #6
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
I dont really like to waste my time with chicken unless its a whole chicken, usually rotisseried over mesquite or hickory, sprayed with coconut water (trick from the Filipinos when roasting a pig) to get an insanely crispy skin with a slightly sweet taste. Otherwise, I stick to pork and beef. Chicken for me isn't worth the labor.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #7
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Good thread.... I will happily update this. I have a new brinkmann charcoal grill with an offset smoke box that will be getting a lot of use this year. I need to do some mods to it first however... i have a to create a baffle at the side opening to help evenly distribute the heat under the drip pan, and then i have some stainless steel mesh that i am making a basket for to hold all the charcoal. Need to get 2 good thermometers as well, any suggestions?
Old 04-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
JJR4884

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1398903340.138136.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	556327

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1398903365.138701.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	556328
Old 04-30-2014, 08:57 PM   #9
NFRs2000nyc

Ooo, I like that...we're closing on our house June 16th, and I need two grills....there is a gas line outside (woohoo no propane!) that I want to get a small gas grill just so I can cook a meal here and there for the family, but for big family gatherings, nothing beats a charcoal, and I want a big one...your's seems pretty nice (although I don't love steel grates, prefer iron)....whats the damage on it?

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-30-2014 at 08:58 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #10
NFRs2000nyc

BTW, Joe deserves a b!tchslap...bbq season again? BBQ season never ends...I grill year round.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:07 AM   #11
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
BTW, Joe deserves a b!tchslap...bbq season again? BBQ season never ends...I grill year round.
True. I will accept that b!tchslap. My grill never gets stored for winter because I use it year round as well... but I like when it gets warmer as my back deck can serve as an extension to my kitchen.

Nothing better than sipping a nice IPA next to a roaring fire pit while tending the grill. My down-wind neighbors have started discovering where all the delicious aromas have been coming from.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:10 AM   #12
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Good thread.... I will happily update this. I have a new brinkmann charcoal grill with an offset smoke box that will be getting a lot of use this year. I need to do some mods to it first however... i have a to create a baffle at the side opening to help evenly distribute the heat under the drip pan, and then i have some stainless steel mesh that i am making a basket for to hold all the charcoal. Need to get 2 good thermometers as well, any suggestions?
I've had an offset. I liked it but didn't find it as versatile as my Weber 22.5". It also rusted up like a mo-fo after one year.

Here it is... one year old and looking like **** but still very functional.

And adding more charcoal was always a pain in the ass too.

I wish you be best of luck with yours though. Post pics of your work!

Ballbusters Inc.

Last edited by joeski3d; 05-01-2014 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:20 AM   #13
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
True. I will accept that b!tchslap. My grill never gets stored for winter because I use it year round as well... but I like when it gets warmer as my back deck can serve as an extension to my kitchen.

Nothing better than sipping a nice IPA next to a roaring fire pit while tending the grill. My down-wind neighbors have started discovering where all the delicious aromas have been coming from.
I agree about the summer and deck thing....but I do love grilling in the dead of winter...the air is crisp, it's frosty, and you can huddle around the warm (hot) grill cooking something tasty. Reminds me of camping and having a fire in the winter....love it.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 AM   #14
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
I've had an offset. I liked it but didn't find it as versatile as my Weber 22.5". It also rusted up like a mo-fo after one year.

What's your weapon of choice now? This thing?
http://weber.com/grills/series/one-t...touch-gold-225

We've had this discussion before, I used to have a smaller one back in the day, and it is great, I just wish they made one like your pic...the circle design doesn't work for me.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:03 PM   #15
joeski3d

Quote:
What's your weapon of choice now? This thing?
http://weber.com/grills/series/one-t...touch-gold-225

We've had this discussion before, I used to have a smaller one back in the day, and it is great, I just wish they made one like your pic...the circle design doesn't work for me.
Yep. that's the beastie. Mine doesn't have the thermometer though. Which is fine. I find they are useless after a year or so of regular use. I just use a wireless meat thermometer.

I've found the circle design works great for me as most of my grilling is indirect heat. It allows for plenty of room for the heat source on one side and food on the other. I had to get a rib rack though. A nice slab of ribs takes up a lot of grate real estate. I still find that I run out of room when grilling for a party though. Perhaps I should upgrade to this thing:

http://weber.com/grills/series/ranch...e/ranch-kettle

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:08 PM   #16
joeski3d

For slow cooked smoke I currently use this:

http://www.brinkmann.net/products/de...tem=810-7080-K

I prefer the electric because maintaining heat with charcoal for 6-10 hours is a real chore.

I'm planning to upgrade to this:

http://www.masterbuilt.com/40-inch-e...rf-remote.html

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #17
JJR4884

Quote:
Ooo, I like that...we're closing on our house June 16th, and I need two grills....there is a gas line outside (woohoo no propane!) that I want to get a small gas grill just so I can cook a meal here and there for the family, but for big family gatherings, nothing beats a charcoal, and I want a big one...your's seems pretty nice (although I don't love steel grates, prefer iron)....whats the damage on it?
The steel grates is not for the grill itself, I am going to make a charcoal basket out of it, that way placing/removing charcoal from the offset box will be relatively easy. In addition, I am going to be wrapping the bottom half of the offset box with several layers of heavy duty aluminum foil. I've been reading up.. and the worst thing that happens to (cheaper) grills is that the charcoals eventually fall through the grates and end up roasting the crap out of the bottom of the grill. The basket I make, in addition to the several layers of alumimum foil, will hopefully preserve the integrity of the smoke box since that will be getting the most exposure to high heat.

that thing cost $120 lol...

Quote:

I'm waiting for some nice weather that way I can get the basket good to go alont with the baffle to help with the heat transfer. Once it is all set up and ready to go, I'll post up some pics

Like I mentioned, the basket will help with charcoal changes You should be using the right side of that grill, i've been reading that without a baffle covering the opening, there could be a 50 degree different from left to right.

Last edited by JJR4884; 05-01-2014 at 12:30 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #18
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Yep. that's the beastie. Mine doesn't have the thermometer though. Which is fine. I find they are useless after a year or so of regular use. I just use a wireless meat thermometer.

I've found the circle design works great for me as most of my grilling is indirect heat. It allows for plenty of room for the heat source on one side and food on the other. I had to get a rib rack though. A nice slab of ribs takes up a lot of grate real estate. I still find that I run out of room when grilling for a party though. Perhaps I should upgrade to this thing:

http://weber.com/grills/series/ranch...e/ranch-kettle
The pricetag is hard to swallow for basically a bowl with a grate on it...I do love it though.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:34 PM   #19
joeski3d

Quote:
The pricetag is hard to swallow for basically a bowl with a grate on it...I do love it though.
Yea... I'm having serious doubts about my being able to pitch this convincingly to my wife. I can't even justify it to myself. I keep looking for one that someone put to the curb.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #20
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Like I mentioned, the basket will help with charcoal changes You should be using the right side of that grill, i've been reading that without a baffle covering the opening, there could be a 50 degree different from left to right.
That thing is long gone. It wasn't the best version of an offset that could be gotten. It is not missed.

Ballbusters Inc.