E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #721
ZimZimma328Ci

My Ride: Mopar
Send a message via AIM to ZimZimma328Ci
Since when did Texas de Brazil get seared tuna....OMG OMG OMG!!! Oh, and shame on you for visiting the salad bar there, you dissapoint the man gods

jk
Old 02-19-2011, 08:06 PM   #722
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Just put this together... lol

Steamed mussels in a leek, garlic, cilanrto, and whole peppercorn riesling broth, some nice toasted airy chewy () italian bread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:22 PM   #723
JJR4884

cherrystones on the half shell with balsamic and lime... drink is a vodka and perrier with lime and cilantro, nom nom nom

Old 02-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #724
JJR4884

Made a little italian grinder today... lol fvcking awesome

Old 02-20-2011, 11:57 PM   #725
JJR4884

Pan seared ny strip, coated with a cognac butter served over fingerling potatoes roasted in a liquid smoked coating lol, sooooo amazing.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #726
Schrock

My Ride: Floaties
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Just put this together... lol

Steamed mussels in a leek, garlic, cilanrto, and whole peppercorn riesling broth, some nice toasted airy chewy () italian bread

I spy a bowl. Those mussels must have really tasted good.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:48 AM   #727
mkodama

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:46 AM   #728
kushy

My Ride: automatic m3
Dude, i'm gonna type as sober as possible, that honestly looks ****** pathetic and digusting compared to my meal. and I'm being one hundred percent serious. Sorry we dont cook sht that was perviously in cans. you're a fuking joke dude, and im dead fuking serious. gert areal family that cooks good food, drinks beer and wine and winecoolers and has a good fuking time, and has a milliondollar house on the beach, im seriously.. dont eever potst your fuking families poverty dinner on these forums ever the fuk again bro, and by bro i mean never my bro, fuking *******.

just kidding, its making me hungryyyy

kushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #729
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Pan seared ny strip, coated with a cognac butter served over fingerling potatoes roasted in a liquid smoked coating lol, sooooo amazing.

Can you explain the best way to pan sear a steak?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM   #730
JJR4884

calm down kushy

and to everyone else, the mussels would have tastes good regardless hahahahha!!!

Solly, very very easy steps dude...

-Preheat oven to 350
-Make sure steaks have been sitting out for about an hour or even more... you want them at room temp
-Pat the DRY before you season them.. papertowel is fine
-Liberally salt them 10 minutes before cooking... not a "crust" but don't be shy with the salt... kosher recommended, rock and sea salt is fine as well, do not use table salt
-Get a stainless steel pan nice and hot.. pour a bit of oil in it, you should immediately see little "wisks" in the oil, that means the pan it hot enough...
-Place the steak in, DO NOT MOVE IT.... if the steak doesn't sizzle immediately, don't even bother putting the rest in, take it out and let the pan get hotter
-Now would be a good time if you have a mesh net to cover the pan, will save you a very good amount of cleaning.
-Leave the steak for two minutes.. you can shake around the pan a little bit to evenly distribute the oil, i needed to do this since the oven i was cooking on is electric, aka the metal rings are not level
-After 2-2.5 minutes, you should be able to shake the steak loose from them pan... basically the steak will "stick"until its done on that side
-Flip the steak.... if you see the oil starting to turn brown, add a little more oil.. you don't want that "burnt oil" taste in the steak
-After another 2 minutes, the other side should be good
-Place on a baking rack placed on top of an aluminum foil wrapped cookie sheet (easy for clean up)
-Finish in the oven for 5-15 minutes... 5 for rare, 8 for med rare, and so forth... please don't go longer than 8
-Take the steak out, keep it on the baking rack, cover loosely with aluminum foil for 5 or so minutes to let the steak rest

Viola

If you bake it directly on the cookie sheet, the bottom will lose that "crust" because all the moisture will get stuck in there... same goes for if you let the steak rest on a plate, gonna be sitting in its own juices so you want to keep it elevated.. If you don't have a baking rack, just make a bit scrunched up "O" with aluminum foil and place the steak on there... that will elevate it from the baking pan

If you really want that "steakhouse" smell (and taste).... i suggest you make a bourbon/cognac/brandy butter... doesn't matter what you use, i used cognac this last time...

Get a little saute pan nice and hot, pour in the equivalent of a nip of cognac (i bought a $4 nip of couvorsier) into the hot pan... it will spit A LOT... if you have a flame stove i suggest you do this over the sink...... so pour that in, then throw in a quarter stick of butter and stir it around until the butter is melted, set aside... use that to brush along the steak after you sear them, right before you finish them in the oven... just brush a small coating along both sides of the steak then put in the oven as mentioned before

crushed black pepper is also ok on the steak when you put the salt.. i haven't done in the past couple times, but it is still great doing that....

Last edited by JJR4884; 02-21-2011 at 12:18 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #731
rares

My Ride: 02 S54
Send a message via AIM to rares Send a message via Yahoo to rares Send a message via Skype™ to rares
dayum guys, that pan seared goodness is getting made at my house tonight, thanks for the recipe...
wow, that looks like some goooood eats...cheers
Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #732
DylloS

Quote:
calm down kushy

and to everyone else, the mussels would have tastes good regardless hahahahha!!!

Solly, very very easy steps dude...

-Preheat oven to 350
-Make sure steaks have been sitting out for about an hour or even more... you want them at room temp
-Pat the DRY before you season them.. papertowel is fine
-Liberally salt them 10 minutes before cooking... not a "crust" but don't be shy with the salt... kosher recommended, rock and sea salt is fine as well, do not use table salt
-Get a stainless steel pan nice and hot.. pour a bit of oil in it, you should immediately see little "wisks" in the oil, that means the pan it hot enough...
-Place the steak in, DO NOT MOVE IT.... if the steak doesn't sizzle immediately, don't even bother putting the rest in, take it out and let the pan get hotter
-Now would be a good time if you have a mesh net to cover the pan, will save you a very good amount of cleaning.
-Leave the steak for two minutes.. you can shake around the pan a little bit to evenly distribute the oil, i needed to do this since the oven i was cooking on is electric, aka the metal rings are not level
-After 2-2.5 minutes, you should be able to shake the steak loose from them pan... basically the steak will "stick"until its done on that side
-Flip the steak.... if you see the oil starting to turn brown, add a little more oil.. you don't want that "burnt oil" taste in the steak
-After another 2 minutes, the other side should be good
-Place on a baking rack placed on top of an aluminum foil wrapped cookie sheet (easy for clean up)
-Finish in the oven for 5-15 minutes... 5 for rare, 8 for med rare, and so forth... please don't go longer than 8
-Take the steak out, keep it on the baking rack, cover loosely with aluminum foil for 5 or so minutes to let the steak rest

Viola

If you bake it directly on the cookie sheet, the bottom will lose that "crust" because all the moisture will get stuck in there... same goes for if you let the steak rest on a plate, gonna be sitting in its own juices so you want to keep it elevated.. If you don't have a baking rack, just make a bit scrunched up "O" with aluminum foil and place the steak on there... that will elevate it from the baking pan

If you really want that "steakhouse" smell (and taste).... i suggest you make a bourbon/cognac/brandy butter... doesn't matter what you use, i used cognac this last time...

Get a little saute pan nice and hot, pour in the equivalent of a nip of cognac (i bought a $4 nip of couvorsier) into the hot pan... it will spit A LOT... if you have a flame stove i suggest you do this over the sink...... so pour that in, then throw in a quarter stick of butter and stir it around until the butter is melted, set aside... use that to brush along the steak after you sear them, right before you finish them in the oven... just brush a small coating along both sides of the steak then put in the oven as mentioned before

crushed black pepper is also ok on the steak when you put the salt.. i haven't done in the past couple times, but it is still great doing that....
thanks man.

I tried doing something like this a few weeks ago and when I put the steak in the pan it spit so much and hot oil burned my arm. Could that be that be because it was too hot?
Old 02-21-2011, 02:21 PM   #733
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
thanks man.

I tried doing something like this a few weeks ago and when I put the steak in the pan it spit so much and hot oil burned my arm. Could that be that be because it was too hot?
Um... not really the pan needs to be blazing hot... two things you need to make sure of

Use an oil with a high smoke point, if you use extra virg you are screwed... I will use veg oil usually...

Secondly it is important to dry the steaks... its water that causes all that popping.... next time you have hot oil, put a teaspoon of water in and see what happens lol

When you dry the steak then salt them, the surface has much less water on it
Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #734
DylloS

Quote:
Um... not really the pan needs to be blazing hot... two things you need to make sure of

Use an oil with a high smoke point, if you use extra virg you are screwed... I will use veg oil usually...

Secondly it is important to dry the steaks... its water that causes all that popping.... next time you have hot oil, put a teaspoon of water in and see what happens lol

When you dry the steak then salt them, the surface has much less water on it
haha I didn't do any of those things lol.

Wet steak, no salt, and olive oil lol.

This is last nights meal. So good and easy. It's not on russo's level but it made me and my gf happy and it's pretty healthy aside from a little extra sodium

Take about 2 lbs of chicken and add 1 package of 40% less sodium taco seasoning to a zip lock bag and shake to coat the chicken. Toss in a pan with non stick coating and cook on 375 for about 25 minutes then add salsa to the top of the chicken and cook another 5 minutes. My new thermometer made it very easy to tell if it was done.

In a skillet add some olive oil, 1 small onion and cook for a few minutes until soft, then add a can of corn, can of black beans, a tomato, and an avocado and lime juice and just heat until it's warm.

Since this is the left overs from last night some of the avacado turned brown and i covered the chicken lol. Hopefully you get the idea. If you like mexican food you would probably love this.

Sorry for the crappy pic, I'm not sure why it's turned on its side.

Last edited by DylloS; 02-22-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:56 PM   #735
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
russo do you ever eat crappy looking food? ever?
Old 02-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #736
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushy View Post
Dude, i'm gonna type as sober as possible, that honestly looks ****** pathetic and digusting compared to my meal. and I'm being one hundred percent serious. Sorry we dont cook sht that was perviously in cans. you're a fuking joke dude, and im dead fuking serious. gert areal family that cooks good food, drinks beer and wine and winecoolers and has a good fuking time, and has a milliondollar house on the beach, im seriously.. dont eever potst your fuking families poverty dinner on these forums ever the fuk again bro, and by bro i mean never my bro, fuking *******.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #737
brew

My Ride: F150 X5 MR2
Quote:

That looks awesome!

Have you ever had a muffaletta sandwich? Replace the green salad inside your sandwich with copious amounts of olive tapenade, then let it sit in the fridge overnight with a heavy pyrex dish sitting on top . . . amazing.
brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:06 AM   #738
Gaz_jones

My Ride: 330Ci Clubsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Oh man, that looks good! Is that ciabatta bread?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM   #739
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
Quote:

My grandparents would be proud.

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:11 AM   #740
Breyton-BMW

My Ride: Ti
Send a message via AIM to Breyton-BMW Send a message via Yahoo to Breyton-BMW
^ Don't you ever sleep?

Breyton-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote