E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Food Talk

Food Talk
Do you like food? If so, you came to the right off-topic section. Discuss your favorite food topics here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:53 AM   #781
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by accolade View Post
Not to go against any advice that you are giving, but this is generally an extremely bad idea, especially for novice cooks. If the pan is too hot, something that could easily happen with someone that isn't familiar in the kitchen, the oil will go up. It will ignite and burn. If you are frying the steak in a pan of oil, it would be just as effective to get the oil to temperature then add the steak.

Another opinion of mine would be if there enough oil in the pan where you can see it start shimmering, it's too much for a steak. Unless you're chicken frying it.

This is the perfect application for a cast iron pan. Get the pan very hot, no oil. A properly seasoned cast iron pan needs very little or no oil to prevent sticking. The steak gets lightly oiled, and seasoned with cracked black pepper and kosher salt. Cooking time is just about the same. You can also cook it by cooking one side on the stove top, then once the steak is flipped, put steak and pan in a 425-445 degree oven. Cooking time will vary by thickness of the steak. Take steak out to rest and now you can deglaze the pan to make a sauce/gravy in.

Less mess and now you can use the cooked bits/fat/juice from the steak in the pan as a good medium to make a sauce/gravy.

Everyone has their own way of doing things, just a matter of what tastes you like the best.
while i do agree and understand everything that you are saying... i think i may have gone a little over the top by saying "blazing hot"

i think most people could find it extremely difficult to heat up a pan hot enough on a normal kitchen stove to cause the oil to spit and flame up that bad lol... i hope they didn't take my advice out of context and kick the heat up under the pan for 15 minutes straight LOL

unless people have commercial grade ranges that can put out some serious flame, i don't think i anyone would have to worry that much about anything going up, but... you are right, better safe than sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I cooked it out on the grill
well if you don't mind, may i suggest something? i'm sure the steak was good... but since i've been perfecting my steaks, crust is a very very important thing to me

was the grill on high?
was the steak wet?
did you season it and maybe put a tiny bit of oil on each side?

not trying to sound like an a-hole... but if you cooked that on the grill, you should be seeing some nice grill marks and a nice dark brown crust, even if you only cooked it med-rare.

i want you to enjoy your steaks to their fullest potential
Old 03-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #782
Sam 330ci

My Ride: 03 530i
Send a message via AIM to Sam 330ci
I agree with Russo.

When I do steak on the grill I always season with seasalt and be sure to have the grill as hot as it will go for when the meat first touches the hot surface. I leave it on the super hot grill for 1-2 minutes for good markings, then turn the heat down to get an even temp all the way through.

Its also a must to take the steak out at least an hour before cooking so that it can get to room temp and thus cook evenly.

Cooking a really good steak is so much practice, patience, trial and error.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:35 AM   #783
accolade

My Ride: O||||||O
Yea, grilling is the same premise as cooking it inside. Get one side of the grill hot, or in an ideal situation use the IR burner, get a good sear and good grill marks on both sides, then transfter to the cooler side of the grill to finish it off. Thinner steaks such as skirt and hangar don't need to be transferred at all.

That steak looks thin enough to be have been cooked to a good rare/medium rare on just a pretty hot grill.
accolade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #784
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam 330ci View Post
I agree with Russo.

When I do steak on the grill I always season with seasalt and be sure to have the grill as hot as it will go for when the meat first touches the hot surface. I leave it on the super hot grill for 1-2 minutes for good markings, then turn the heat down to get an even temp all the way through.

Its also a must to take the steak out at least an hour before cooking so that it can get to room temp and thus cook evenly.

Cooking a really good steak is so much practice, patience, trial and error.
i miss you

anyways with that being out of the way.... i think any beginner can still make an amazing steak with no experience whatsoever... follow a few directions (dry steak, room temp, season 10 min prior) and let the head and time do its work, there ya go... flawless execution every time.

boom

i want to cook a steak for sam
Old 03-02-2011, 01:24 PM   #785
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
while i do agree and understand everything that you are saying... i think i may have gone a little over the top by saying "blazing hot"

i think most people could find it extremely difficult to heat up a pan hot enough on a normal kitchen stove to cause the oil to spit and flame up that bad lol... i hope they didn't take my advice out of context and kick the heat up under the pan for 15 minutes straight LOL

unless people have commercial grade ranges that can put out some serious flame, i don't think i anyone would have to worry that much about anything going up, but... you are right, better safe than sorry

well if you don't mind, may i suggest something? i'm sure the steak was good... but since i've been perfecting my steaks, crust is a very very important thing to me

was the grill on high?
was the steak wet?
did you season it and maybe put a tiny bit of oil on each side?

not trying to sound like an a-hole... but if you cooked that on the grill, you should be seeing some nice grill marks and a nice dark brown crust, even if you only cooked it med-rare.

i want you to enjoy your steaks to their fullest potential
The grill was on high for about 5-10 minutes to heat up and I threw them on and the steaks were at room temp but they were marinating in a bag with some marinade packet which just requires it to be mixed with olive oil and a little water.

I'm paranoid I'm going to mess up my steak so I constantly flip it. that along with being wet from the marinade is probably what prevented the "crust"

I'm very new to steak cooking though. I have messed around a little bit and can never get it perfect. The steaks were probably about 1/2 -3/4 inches thick.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #786
JJR4884

Quote:
The grill was on high for about 5-10 minutes to heat up and I threw them on and the steaks were at room temp but they were marinating in a bag with some marinade packet which just requires it to be mixed with olive oil and a little water.

I'm paranoid I'm going to mess up my steak so I constantly flip it. that along with being wet from the marinade is probably what prevented the "crust"

I'm very new to steak cooking though. I have messed around a little bit and can never get it perfect. The steaks were probably about 1/2 -3/4 inches thick.

the oil in the marinade would typically cause a nice crust, so i guess i'll blame it on the water and the fact that you constantly flip it...

rule of thumb... steaks will tell you when they are done, once they hit the grill, they should stick... if they don't, then the grill isn't hot enough. don't move that steak until it unsticks itself basically... once the steak easily release from the grill, it is because the charred part of the steak is crust enough (and dry enough) to not adhere to the grates on the grill

shouldn't take more then 3-5 minutes, so seriously... use a timer, i can guarantee it will feel like an eternity after 2 minutes, but trust me... it needs that extra time.

another rule of thumb... after you flip it, the next side will be done in 1 minute less.

Stop making your steaks flip out!

PS... depending on your marinade... if a little bit of water is needed... substitute that for vinegar... acids are what you want in a marinade, not h2o

Last edited by JJR4884; 03-02-2011 at 04:24 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #787
DylloS

Quote:

the oil in the marinade would typically cause a nice crust, so i guess i'll blame it on the water and the fact that you constantly flip it...

rule of thumb... steaks will tell you when they are done, once they hit the grill, they should stick... if they don't, then the grill isn't hot enough. don't move that steak until it unsticks itself basically... once the steak easily release from the grill, it is because the charred part of the steak is crust enough (and dry enough) to not adhere to the grates on the grill

shouldn't take more then 3-5 minutes, so seriously... use a timer, i can guarantee it will feel like an eternity after 2 minutes, but trust me... it needs that extra time.

another rule of thumb... after you flip it, the next side will be done in 1 minute less.

Stop making your steaks flip out!

PS... depending on your marinade... if a little bit of water is needed... substitute that for vinegar... acids are what you want in a marinade, not h2o
got it. It definitely didn't unstick itself when I flipped. I was just worried it was going to burn. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. so full heat for the entire time? Covered or not?

Last edited by DylloS; 03-02-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #788
JJR4884

Quote:
got it. It definitely didn't unstick itself when I flipped. I was just worried it was going to burn. Thanks for the heads up. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. so full heat for the entire time? Covered or not?
I cover it... try to get a steak that is at least 3/4 to an inch thick... if you have a "thin" steak, by the time it is done making that crust, it is already cooked half way through... aka by the time you flip it and finish cooking, you are looking at a steak that is medium-well

After 4 minutes on high, feel it out.. should release without sticking... flip it, 3 minutes later.. you should be all set...

let the steak rest for a few minutes, it will finish cooking and the meat will "relax"... and you can entice mmmmmm

typically for me, my grill has a couple very hot spots, so full heat the entire time is a yes... however if you get a nice crust on the steak (on both sides) the middle could still be rare... if that it the case, i'll move my steak to the top part of the grill, not directly under the fire, and let it "bake" with the lid closed for a couple minutes. 3 tops.

Last edited by JJR4884; 03-02-2011 at 05:54 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #789
DylloS

Quote:
I cover it... try to get a steak that is at least 3/4 to an inch thick... if you have a "thin" steak, by the time it is done making that crust, it is already cooked half way through... aka by the time you flip it and finish cooking, you are looking at a steak that is medium-well

After 4 minutes on high, feel it out.. should release without sticking... flip it, 3 minutes later.. you should be all set...

let the steak rest for a few minutes, it will finish cooking and the meat will "relax"... and you can entice mmmmmm

typically for me, my grill has a couple very hot spots, so full heat the entire time is a yes... however if you get a nice crust on the steak (on both sides) the middle could still be rare... if that it the case, i'll move my steak to the top part of the grill, not directly under the fire, and let it "bake" with the lid closed for a couple minutes. 3 tops.
thanks. Making some tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #790
accolade

Your best bet is going to be to just read a bunch about it, take from it what you will and experiment. I cook all steaks just about the same way, and they all come out the exact way I need them to be cooked.

Also, if your grill is hot, 800-900 degrees and you keep it there for a while getting your grates that hot, you will get a sear no matter what. There is nothing that will touch the grates of the grill that won't sear.

Remember that any place you get a steak from will have the criss cross hatchings on a steak. A result of cooking it halfway on the one side and rotating 45 degrees. It would be impossible to do if the steak stuck to the grill until it was ready for flipping.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:06 PM   #791
JJR4884

Quote:
Remember that any place you get a steak from will have the criss cross hatchings on a steak. A result of cooking it halfway on the one side and rotating 45 degrees. It would be impossible to do if the steak stuck to the grill until it was ready for flipping.
Yea this crossed my mind as well... i didn't want to get too much into it however it also depends on the grill... There are a good amount of grills that can't really get up to 800-900 degrees.... With that kind of temperature, you can put the steak on for a minute, turn 45 for a minute, flip and repeat. With that kind of heat, you'll char and "unstick" the steak in no time.

When I said that steaks will "stick until they are done searing," that definitely pertains more to pan searing as you are correct with what you said.

LOL WTF STEK Y U SO COMPIKATED?????
Old 03-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #792
DylloS

Quote:
Your best bet is going to be to just read a bunch about it, take from it what you will and experiment. I cook all steaks just about the same way, and they all come out the exact way I need them to be cooked.

Also, if your grill is hot, 800-900 degrees and you keep it there for a while getting your grates that hot, you will get a sear no matter what. There is nothing that will touch the grates of the grill that won't sear.

Quote:
Yea this crossed my mind as well... i didn't want to get too much into it however it also depends on the grill... There are a good amount of grills that can't really get up to 800-900 degrees.... With that kind of temperature, you can put the steak on for a minute, turn 45 for a minute, flip and repeat. With that kind of heat, you'll char and "unstick" the steak in no time.

When I said that steaks will "stick until they are done searing," that definitely pertains more to pan searing as you are correct with what you said.

LOL WTF STEK Y U SO COMPIKATED?????

haha.

do you guys think places like applebees and fridays have something they just stamp on the steaks to give it grill marks? I can't remember why I can't remember exactly why I thought this but me and some friends were wondering this when another friend got a steak.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:09 PM   #793
JJR4884

Quote:
haha.

do you guys think places like applebees and fridays have something they just stamp on the steaks to give it grill marks? I can't remember why I can't remember exactly why I thought this but me and some friends were wondering this when another friend got a steak.
if i'm not mistaken, don't their grills already have the X pattern grates?

Beats the hell out of me, i don't order steak when i'm there, however i did have an NY strip from Uno's once... gotta say, it was a pretty tasty cut of beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeef
Old 03-03-2011, 04:18 PM   #794
accolade

Some places do... I wouldn't be surprised if they spin it quick, it's really pretty simple. A friend of mine has a grill with an IR searing burner on the side and it has a grate with the X pattern.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:40 PM   #795
JJR4884

Quote:
Some places do... I wouldn't be surprised if they spin it quick, it's really pretty simple. A friend of mine has a grill with an IR searing burner on the side and it has a grate with the X pattern.
i effing love IR burners
Old 03-03-2011, 08:40 PM   #796
accolade

Solly I have something for you.. Chicken leg quarters for the slow cooker for pulled chicken.

+

=

I'll use this liquid once the chicken is done cooking to make the BBQ sauce:

And this was dinner, I could provide details and pics too. Taking pics along the way is not easy at all.
It's a simply seared flounder with a roasted red pepper tartar sauce, steamed spinach topped with grated cotija cheese and a twice backed scallopped potato.

I'll start posting more of the stuff I have saved that I have made with what it is.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #797
accolade

Cell phone cameras suck, but it's just so much easier.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 PM   #798
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
Quote:
Cell phone cameras suck, but it's just so much easier.
Those are great pics

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #799
JJR4884

Black forest bacon, pink lady apple slice, granny smith apple slice, fried leeks, balsamic fig chutney, and drizzled creme fraiche

I just made lifelong friends

Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 AM   #800
Schrock

My Ride: Floaties
Dude wtf? And you wonder why nobody else wants to post in the food forum, sh!t looks outta control!