E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #21
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
^ i am going to go with no, and you should start a new thread...
Old 12-17-2008, 07:51 AM   #22
umermariner

My Ride: 1999, 328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by simsima325 View Post
the plastic panel under your engine
Question again,

Y do I have to take the pan out... the thermostat is right at the front, on the top... I think I can do it without taking the pan out (I do not have garage, and outdoor, its gona be pretty cold to get under the car :| ).

Can I get away, without oppening the pan?
Thanks.
umermariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 07:56 AM   #23
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Thermostats in the E46 are designed to fail in the open positions. It won't light up the SES light on your dash but it will give a code. They aren't too expensive and they aren't hard to replace. Good luck!
+1 that was the problem with my e46

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #24
Midnight 330Ci

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
to the OP...

...so I'm curious did you replace the thermostat? did that take care of your problem? mine is doing the exact same thing. i'm gonna try to replace it this week but gotta get a few tools together first. i need the wrench to get the fan off.

Now -- Dinan CAI /// BSW Stage 1 /// Homelink /// ZHP Shift Knob /// Clear Reflectors /// LED License Bulbs /// Solaris Corners /// Dual First Aid Kits

Future -- Angel Eyes /// CDT 6 x 9s /// Exhaust /// M3 Mirrors /// Tint /// Better Sig Pic :(
Midnight 330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #25
umermariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight 330Ci View Post
...so I'm curious did you replace the thermostat? did that take care of your problem? mine is doing the exact same thing. i'm gonna try to replace it this week but gotta get a few tools together first. i need the wrench to get the fan off.
hmmmmmmmm... I got the thermostat (ordered it online), but its really really cold here in NJ now a day, so waiting for the weather to get better . Do I need some special ranch to take it apart :O.... I have all the normal tools though..
Old 12-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #26
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by umermariner View Post
hmmmmmmmm... I got the thermostat (ordered it online), but its really really cold here in NJ now a day, so waiting for the weather to get better . Do I need some special ranch to take it apart :O.... I have all the normal tools though..
If you have an auto, you'll need a special wrench to remove the fan.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:24 PM   #27
umermariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
its stick
Old 12-22-2008, 09:49 PM   #28
gen247

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post

This is not assume the rule of thumb for all BMWs as BMW seem to be inconsistent as to what year and model should have the mechancial or electric fan. Most newer models have the electric. FYI: I have a manual with a machanical fan that requires the special tool. OP: sounds like you have the electric fan so you shouldn't have to use the special tool. If you are still unsure, open the hood to see if you have a fan attached to your main pulley.
gen247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 12:31 AM   #29
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
^ correct

if you have the additional fan, you will need the special wrench.

thermo isn't a hard DIY, just read up on it (or find a more experienced friend)
Old 12-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #30
Midnight 330Ci

Picked up a thermostat and replaced mine on Christmas day. Wasn't too hard. There are some really good DIYs on here that were spot on. The only real PITA was draining and catching all the coolant from the block. Somebody suggested using a piece of plastic hose which worked pretty well, but it still really gushes out.

Also, it solved my 'under-heating' problem. I now get to operating temps in a few minutes and have real heat. Just in time for winter...

Now -- Dinan CAI /// BSW Stage 1 /// Homelink /// ZHP Shift Knob /// Clear Reflectors /// LED License Bulbs /// Solaris Corners /// Dual First Aid Kits

Future -- Angel Eyes /// CDT 6 x 9s /// Exhaust /// M3 Mirrors /// Tint /// Better Sig Pic :(
Old 12-28-2008, 04:35 PM   #31
Gjules

My Ride: BMW 323i E46
i have the exact same problem on my 2000 323i. if you turn the car on and let it sit idle, ur temp gauge will go upto 12 o'clock no problem. once you start driving the car, it'll dip back down to the cold zone. when the thermo craps out on u in this model car (maybe other models too, not too sure), it's DESIGNED to stay in the open position so cold air ALWAYS flows through. they did that because they dont want ur engine to overheat with a bad thermo.....better cold, then too hot. also, you WILL get engine codes. you'll get 2 of them - 'P0125 : Clsd Loop Fuel Ctrl, Insuficient coolant temp.' and 'P1624 : Manufacturer control, Auxiliary Inputs, Auxiliary outputs'. my friend has an OBD2 code reader and it scans bmw codes. BOTH of those codes appear if your thermo is blown. i bought my thermo for 107 bucks canadian (including taxes and shipping) from http://parts.autopartsonlinecanada.c...ostat+Assembly

it's the thermo assembly so you get the housing for the thermo and the rubber gasket. trust me.......it's your thermo. i've tested this in my car countless times to make sure i'm not blowing money on the wrong parts.
Gjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #32
W///

My Ride: E30, E46, E92 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight 330Ci View Post
Picked up a thermostat and replaced mine on Christmas day. Wasn't too hard. There are some really good DIYs on here that were spot on. The only real PITA was draining and catching all the coolant from the block. Somebody suggested using a piece of plastic hose which worked pretty well, but it still really gushes out.

Also, it solved my 'under-heating' problem. I now get to operating temps in a few minutes and have real heat. Just in time for winter...
Haha, the hose was the biggest waste of 6 bucks for me. I was working on the car in a dark garage and once the plug came out, I couldn't put the hose to it so I ended up in a coolant bath. But like everyone said, it's a pretty easy DIY unless you had an original water pump (112k) which very hard to get off.
W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 01:02 PM   #33
Midnight 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaiballs View Post
Haha, the hose was the biggest waste of 6 bucks for me. I was working on the car in a dark garage and once the plug came out, I couldn't put the hose to it so I ended up in a coolant bath. But like everyone said, it's a pretty easy DIY unless you had an original water pump (112k) which very hard to get off.
I used a piece of hose from my shop vac and it worked OK. I probably caught about 75% of the coolant but did experience a little antifreeze shampoo myself. Thank goodness for my goggles.

Old 01-26-2009, 03:06 PM   #34
mhagley323

My Ride: 330i
Mine does the same thing when it is cold out. Sit's at the notch right above the blue area, though it doesn't feel like a bad thing, it feels as if theirs more torque. And it's only when i drive. When its running but in the parked position, the temp gauge will rise to the 12 o clock position. Normal, and thermo i suppose as ^ suggested.

03' 330i
Mods
|M Tech II|P46| Orion V2|Painted Rear Diffuser and Moldings|Clears|Painted Grills|Koni FSD|Eibach|M6|WeissLicht LED|

09' ///M5
Mods
|BMW Performance Gloss Grills, Gills and Reflectors|SuperSprint|RPI|WeissLicht LED|
mhagley323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #35
umermariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagley323 View Post
Mine does the same thing when it is cold out. Sit's at the notch right above the blue area, though it doesn't feel like a bad thing, it feels as if theirs more torque. And it's only when i drive. When its running but in the parked position, the temp gauge will rise to the 12 o clock position. Normal, and thermo i suppose as ^ suggested.
You probably have the same problem.. and yes this is a problem.. not only it makes it hard to the car to keep the cabin warm (it takes a lot longer for the inner cabin to heat up), but also performance of the car, and it also consumes slightly more gas
Old 01-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #36
mhagley323

i was actually wondering about gas and heat but i thought it was just me worrying. I ALWAYS have the heated seats on because the heat is either HOTTT or low which is freezing cold in the car so u just turn it off. Also i dont drive the car hard much at all, but im only getting about 320 m per tank, when i first fill up it says like 420 until empty. I love the extra torque it feels like it has when the gauge is low though:'(. Anything else if should check out besides thermo

03' 330i
Mods
|M Tech II|P46| Orion V2|Painted Rear Diffuser and Moldings|Clears|Painted Grills|Koni FSD|Eibach|M6|WeissLicht LED|

09' ///M5
Mods
|BMW Performance Gloss Grills, Gills and Reflectors|SuperSprint|RPI|WeissLicht LED|
Old 01-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #37
umermariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhagley323 View Post
i was actually wondering about gas and heat but i thought it was just me worrying. I ALWAYS have the heated seats on because the heat is either HOTTT or low which is freezing cold in the car so u just turn it off. Also i dont drive the car hard much at all, but im only getting about 320 m per tank, when i first fill up it says like 420 until empty. I love the extra torque it feels like it has when the gauge is low though:'(. Anything else if should check out besides thermo
There shouldnt be any extra torque though.. you should have better torque at working temperature.. maybe you just feel it, bcz the car is not hot enough, therefore the engine idle speed is higher (like in warmup mode)..
Old 01-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #38
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
Thermostat, same symptoms my parents car had when the thermostat was at the open position

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #39
umermariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwclubofquebec View Post
Thermostat, same symptoms my parents car had when the thermostat was at the open position

I love the animation (BMW F****** Benz). How can I get it ... i have to show it to some people that are in benz favor
Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #40
mhagley323

I understand that but it just seems it goes a lot quicker than when its summer time and its at 12. Then its sluggish and i hate it.

03' 330i
Mods

09' ///M5
Mods