E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-28-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
wrenn18

My Ride: 325it
installing power wire from fuse box????

Hey all,

working on the 325it. Trying to run a power wire to my sirius starmate so I don't have to use the cig lighter (need that for the phone) I like the fact that the cig lighter is not switched because the sirius keeps running while I'm stopped for gas/run into PO or whatever and don't miss the song that comes on next...

Anyway:
1. I'm trying to remove the ashtray/sunglass holder to get the wire in there and can't get access to the 2 screws in the sunglass holder because the flip down door. I have done searches and Ivegotissues666 has some great diy info posts but still missing this piece of the dash puzzle. any hints?

2. Any hints about getting to the back side of the fuse box to add a wire? I've got it hanging but can't get enough slack to rotate and work with.

3. Is there special connector ends from dealer to snap into the fuse box as my fused power for the starmate? (this would be most profess looking install...option)

any advice or links to threads that talk about this (preferably with pics as I'm a visual learner) would be greatly appreciated

any help in
wrenn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:05 PM   #2
rorschach

My Ride: '01 318i
1. Open the flip-up door, push up the "roof" of the sunglasses holder and at the same time, pull it out.

That's all I got.
rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #3
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenn18 View Post
Hey all,

working on the 325it. Trying to run a power wire to my sirius starmate so I don't have to use the cig lighter (need that for the phone) I like the fact that the cig lighter is not switched because the sirius keeps running while I'm stopped for gas/run into PO or whatever and don't miss the song that comes on next...

Anyway:
1. I'm trying to remove the ashtray/sunglass holder to get the wire in there and can't get access to the 2 screws in the sunglass holder because the flip down door. I have done searches and Ivegotissues666 has some great diy info posts but still missing this piece of the dash puzzle. any hints?

Pop the headunit, put your fingers behind the sunglass thing and push it outwards.

2. Any hints about getting to the back side of the fuse box to add a wire? I've got it hanging but can't get enough slack to rotate and work with.

Twist 90 degrees the 2 white things on top of the glovebox and the fusebox will drop. Wiggle it a bit here and there and you will manage to pull it out to allow space to the rear. Once you drop it you will undersand

3. Is there special connector ends from dealer to snap into the fuse box as my fused power for the starmate? (this would be most profess looking install...option)

Yes, I have used them in my mirror retrofit, I'll find the part number for you

any advice or links to threads that talk about this (preferably with pics as I'm a visual learner) would be greatly appreciated

any help in
text in red
Old 11-28-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Fuse Leaf Connector

Old 11-29-2008, 09:18 AM   #5
wrenn18

My Ride: 325it
Thanks Paraklas.

yep that's the terminal/connector I want to get. I'll call dealer today to see if I can get. Bad thing is dealer is practically an hour drive away. New dealer to open 10min away sometime next year (would have been open already but the state already a year late getting the road open )

I got the wires (power and antannae) run behind the dash through the hole in the ashtray base (a hole already there if you snap out the ashtray).

I have the fuse box dropped completely but I still can't get the thing turned easily there is just not enough slack in the wires to allow me to see where the connector pictured above inserts. guess I have to go by feel...
wrenn18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
abefroman

My Ride: 2000 323i
Any update on this?
abefroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
bump?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #8
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I plugged into one of the empty switched 12v spots to power my Kensington Liquid Aux. Can use an "Add-a-Circuit" or even just a simple single male spade connector on the power lead plugged into an empty spot.

Sounds like wrenn is trying to plug into one of the fuse spots from BEHIND instea of in front where the normal fuses go into? Not sure though.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #9
notslow

My Ride: 03 e46 4dr
Is this the right part number for the Fuse Leaf Connector 61130007272?
notslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #10
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
So the fuse leaf connector plugs into the front or the back? I want to find some that plug into the back.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
notslow

The back, it's the stock terminal that the fuse connects to. Just trying to figure out the correct part number for the 2005 e46 sedan.
This would be a great way to add the auto dim mirror and use the stock fuse location.
Anyone know the part number?
Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 PM   #12
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Please post it you get it. I want to run all of my aftermarket electronics through the OEM fuse box.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
notslow

Can someone tell me the correct terminal for inside the fuse box? Someone must know this on here. I did searches and all of the references I found to this lack the part number. Come on guys, when you find something like this that is of use to the community you should post it for posterity. If I figure it out, I'll be sure to post it.

Will
Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #14
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by notslow View Post
Can someone tell me the correct terminal for inside the fuse box? Someone must know this on here. I did searches and all of the references I found to this lack the part number. Come on guys, when you find something like this that is of use to the community you should post it for posterity. If I figure it out, I'll be sure to post it.

Will
looking for the same thing. I'll post up if I find it, I'll hopefully have time to call the stealer monday

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 PM   #15
notslow

Getting closer, just need to figure out which one.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...56&hg=61&fg=15
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...96&hg=61&fg=15
Old 03-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #16
thefrog1394

Probably not going to be 4, 6 or 7/8 because those have the weatherproof grommet on them (those are probably for the box in the engine bay). I'm guessing 2 or 5.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
Old 03-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #17
notslow

It looks like #3 is the closest to the on in my Fuse box, but it still doesn't look quite right. I think I'll have to just got to the dealer and hopefully they can figure it out. I'm always surprised how little info is known for modding these car even though they have been out for so long and people have obviously done these mods before.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1334.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	352530   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1322.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	352531   Click image for larger version

Name:	238.png
Views:	226
Size:	13.7 KB
ID:	352532  
Old 03-18-2010, 10:25 PM   #18
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I have the radar and the gps running with switched power from the fuse box. I did not deal with the parts from the dealership.

I used an add a circuit in one of the fuse slots in the front. It works flawlessly and is very clean.

If anyone wants to know more I can post pics.

Curious why people want to plug into the back of the panel?
SPQR ROMAN SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:37 PM   #19
thefrog1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR ROMAN SPQR View Post
I have the radar and the gps running with switched power from the fuse box. I did not deal with the parts from the dealership.

I used an add a circuit in one of the fuse slots in the front. It works flawlessly and is very clean.

If anyone wants to know more I can post pics.

Curious why people want to plug into the back of the panel?
Plugging into the back is way cleaner. Sorry but yours looks ghetto

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
Old 03-19-2010, 10:49 AM   #20
SPQR ROMAN SPQR

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrog1394 View Post
Plugging into the back is way cleaner. Sorry but yours looks ghetto
lol looks ghetto to who??

No one EVER sees that damn fuse panel except me and the wires are all tucked away in the back and zip tied together nice and neat.

Ive never had any electical problems at all.

In my opinion ghetto riggeed is when ur cutting and striping random factory wires and tapping into them and then making a messy tape job of the whole thing.

But hey if your bothered by it by all means buy an elusive part from the dealership instead of spending like 5-10 bucks at autozone.
SPQR ROMAN SPQR is offline   Reply With Quote