E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
817bimmerfanatic

My Ride: is schön!
Send a message via ICQ to 817bimmerfanatic
Can 2 different size rear tires screw up transmission?!

Yesterday i bought 2 new rear tires, i had a plug in one(255) and them a screw in the side wall in the other(265). since i had a warranty on the tire with another so i was talking to the guy at firestone about getting it replaced. i have M3 wheels so the rears are wide. so i wanted to get a set of 245's in the rear to stop the rubbing. ANYWAYS when i was talking to the guy at firestone i was telling him that i had a 255 and a 265 in the rear, well he told me having to different sizes will screw up my transmission or rear end. Is this true?!? after getting the tires my car rides ALOT smoother so i didnt know if it was true.
817bimmerfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #2
Len013091

My Ride: S52 E30, 330i
Send a message via AIM to Len013091
It wont affect the transmission, but it will affect your differential. The two different sized tires spin at different rates, cause the the differential to work at all times instead of just during a turn
Len013091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
817bimmerfanatic

so how will i know if i screwed anything up?!
Old 11-29-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
You'll be fine. That's such a minuscule difference. Your wheels are still the same width.

How will you know if you screwed anything up?

You'd feel it.

You'll be fine. That guy was just scaring you.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Width aside, the diameters of the 2 tires were probably pretty close so not much to worry about. You also have an open diff so it's not like you were wearing out clutch packs in a LSD. If you can't tell something is messed up, then nothing is messed up.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #6
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
yeah....smart @ss seller
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
817bimmerfanatic

Ya i had a feeling that he just wanted me to buy some more tires, cause at first i was just gonna get the tire i had a warranty on replaced
Old 11-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
Dninty9

My Ride: BMW 330I, VOLVO 850R
the 255 and the 265 are the widths of the tire so as long as the diameter of the tires are the same like one 255 40 18 and a 265 40 18 then you would be ok...If you were running say a 255 60 18 and a 265 40 18 then it might cause undue wear to the rear end...
Dninty9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #9
sunydude

My Ride: Boost
Guys I have a similar question http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=628760....

Will size difference of 225/45/18 and 235/40/18 tires in the back affect my differential? Please help!!!!!

E46 325i - sold
E46 M/// - sold
2011 WRX - sold !!!

Back to BMW :-)
sunydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:43 PM   #10
Trip6

My Ride: 2004 Alpine 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
You'll be fine. That's such a minuscule difference. Your wheels are still the same width.

How will you know if you screwed anything up?

You'd feel it.

You'll be fine. That guy was just scaring you.
You are wrong. The width of the tire has nothing to do with it. The rolling radius is what matters. Yes two different size tires will cause damage to your diff. As far as your transmission not likely, in the front this wouldn’t be an issue unless you have an XI. The amount of damage can be very little to extreme depending on factors like driving style, miles driven, speeds and so on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00'323i View Post
Apparently, someone running in a red shirt **** himself. Don't quote me on that, though.
Trip6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #11
kpeng
Banned User

I meant the wheels are the same. Same size, same width, so it doesn't matter. The wheel is what matters. If he had two different sized wheels in the back (i.e. 17 and 19), then that's what matters. If he had the same wheels in the back (i.e. both 19"s), he wouldn't be able to have a tire width discrepancy large enough to really matter now would he?
Old 11-29-2008, 10:02 PM   #12
blackbeard

My Ride: Is stock : (
SIMPLY PUT TWO TIRES ON THE DRIVE AXLE WITH DIFFERING DIAMETERS (HEIGHT) WILL POTENTIALLY HURT OR RUIN YOUR REAR END! talk to the 4x4 owners and see if they run different size tires on their rigs. width is fine but height you have to keep.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #13
Trip6

My Ride: 2004 Alpine 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
I meant the wheels are the same. Same size, same width, so it doesn't matter. The wheel is what matters. If he had two different sized wheels in the back (i.e. 17 and 19), then that's what matters. If he had the same wheels in the back (i.e. both 19"s), he wouldn't be able to have a tire width discrepancy large enough to really matter now would he?

You are wrong... Again. I am only going to say this one more time. The rolling radius of the tires is what matters. Wheel size is not the issue, tire size is. The thing is you can have 2 tires the same Number size but the rolling radius is different due to wear and age etc. So in fact just because the sidewalls say it's this big, doesn't in fact mean they are the same. This will tear up a diff. That is why you buy 2 tires when replacing drive tires, or rotate the new tire to a non powered axle. I really am not interested in a pissing contest on a forum with you.
Yes this will eat your diff. don’t be cheap, buy tires in sets.

/thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00'323i View Post
Apparently, someone running in a red shirt **** himself. Don't quote me on that, though.
Trip6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:12 PM   #14
kpeng
Banned User

Nevermind...I'm not even going to argue...

The total diameter of a 255 tire and a 265 tire is not big enough to cause damage or be disastrous like you think it is. You are dreaming and completely wrong. Like I said before, it's not like he's running 16" and 19" on each side. And even then, it takes a while for just a bit of damage to occur. We're talking mm's, not even inches. It's an open diff anyways.

Last edited by kpeng; 11-29-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #15
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
You guys are acting like the difference in diameter of the tires in question is soooooo huge.

Answer this.
What happens when u run a spare? Does the manual say move the flat drive wheel to the front and put the spare on a non driven wheel?

What happens when the run flat tire is at 0 psi, doesn't its effective rolling diameter become less than the fully inflated wheel, how come nothing happens?

If the cars diff was so fragile that the smallest difference in diameter will hurt the diff then how come our owners manual doesn't say, in case of flat call a tow track, why does our car come with a spare. And even with the full size spare, how come on zhp and other cars with staggered wheels, it only comes with a size that matches the front axle. What happens when you put that 225 spare on the rear drive wheel where a 255 was?

Oh wait, maybe the size difference is so small its harmless. Just maybe.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #16
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
you guys are acting like the difference in diameter of the tires in question is soooooo huge.

Answer this.
What happens when u run a spare? Does the manual say move the flat drive wheel to the front and put the spare on a non driven wheel?

What happens when the run flat tire is at 0 psi, doesn't its effective rolling diameter become less than the fully inflated wheel, how come nothing happens?

If the cars diff was so fragile that the smallest difference in diameter will hurt the diff then how come our owners manual doesn't say, in case of flat call a tow track, why does our car come with a spare. And even with the full size spare, how come on zhp and other cars with staggered wheels, it only comes with a size that matches the front axle. What happens when you put that 225 spare on the rear drive wheel where a 255 was?

thank you!!!!!!!!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:33 PM   #17
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
As long as the difference between tire circumference is within 3% you should be ok

Use calculator here
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:41 PM   #18
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
You guys are acting like the difference in diameter of the tires in question is soooooo huge.

Answer this.

The spare is designed for short term emergency use. It's better to have a narrower tire than have no tire at all when you have a puncture. That doesn't mean it's ok to drive with that kind of set up at all times. The narrower tire would have lower grip. If certain driving parameters are exceeded, then the effect of tire width disparity would become noticeable. Even if no mechanical parts are immediately damaged, the car could well travel like a crab - side ways.

Last edited by GoingNuts; 11-29-2008 at 10:44 PM.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:48 PM   #19
ledfut

My Ride: '99 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dninty9 View Post
the 255 and the 265 are the widths of the tire so as long as the diameter of the tires are the same like one 255 40 18 and a 265 40 18 then you would be ok...If you were running say a 255 60 18 and a 265 40 18 then it might cause undue wear to the rear end...
You don't know much about tires, do you?
ledfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 10:50 PM   #20
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
An open diff is nothing more than gears which by design allow the wheels to spin at different speeds, there's nothing to harm. Every time you even slightly turn your steering wheel, the rear wheels spin at different speeds. Locking differentials (such as in the 4x4 world) are a completely different beast and matching tires becomes a serious concern. A clutch type LSD would incur a bit of undue wear but probably not enough to ever get concerned about.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump

Last edited by TxZHP04; 11-29-2008 at 10:53 PM.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote