E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2004, 03:19 PM   #1
greengiantjl

My Ride: 2004 M3
Bluetooth+ telephone prewire retrofit success!

I have a 2004 Canadian version M3 coupe, and like most Canadian Bimmer, it doesn't come with telephone pre wire. I wanted the bluetooth functionality, and with the help from Santiago for acquiring the part numbers, I decided to do a telephone pre wire retrofit. It took me around 8 hours to do the whole retrofit. Basically, I spent a lot of time figuring out how to remove the interior trim. The retrofit was very straight forward (just follow the retrofit manual) except laying out the wires was pain in the ass. I had pain all over my body for 2 days due to the retrofitů Anyway, the Bluetooth is awesome; however, my Dension ICELINKV1.1 is not working since I had to replace one of the plug from the radio unit with the new plug from the new wire. My IPOD is still controllable through the steering wheel and it is recognized by the system, but there is no sound coming off the speakers. I put the old plug back in and the IPOD performed flawlessly, but this time, there was no sound from my Bluetooth. I talked to Dension, and they told me that I need a custom plug because the audio for the IPOD was disconnected. Anyway, I will keep you guys posted about the ipod issue once I got it solved with Dension.

Here are the part numbers for the retrofit wires for people who are interested:
61-12-0-143-309 (retrofit wiring harness) --- Cad$ 348.00
61-12-0-029-454 (antenna line)-------- Cad$ 52.50

These 2 items are REQUIRED for the retrofit.

You can purchase the Bluetooth kit from any dealer.

Here is the retrofit installation manual
http://members.shaw.ca/giantjl/images/bluetooth.pdf

Here is the site that contains a list of BMW Bluetooth compatible phones
http://www.x5world.net/bluetooth_compatible_phones.htm
SMG2, 20" Black HRE 546, Brembo 14" front and 13.6" rear BBK, Dinan stage 2 suspension, Full CF replica CSL diffuser, ACS replica front CF splitter, CF roof spoiler, CF side gills, Vorsteiner CSL trunk, Eisenmann 76mm exhaust, Bluetooth, Naviagtion
greengiantjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
Wagon Man
Ultimate Wagon

My Ride: 00 iT (SOLD)
Congratulation! I've been conplempating a project just to utilize the phone pre-wired feature in my car ... an older E46. Seems like the hard-wired phone feature limits to a very few cell phone other than the outrageously expensive BMW-phone. Too bad for me..
Wagon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:07 PM   #3
Az330im
Flyin' High

My Ride: '03 Stahl Grau 330i
with bluetooth, u can hear the person talking through your speakers?
Old 12-10-2004, 04:07 PM   #4
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
Hmmm I want to do this but the whole rewire thing has me worried since I am under warranty...
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:18 PM   #5
Saphire330XI

My Ride: 02 330XI & 07 Tundra
I bought the Motorola bluetoth system for $139 and I'll tell you what. I am glad that I did that, instead of buying the module and all the other pain in the A... items. My friend and I spent 2 hours installing the system you can not see any of the wires and the sound is very clear in both ends.
Saphire330XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:33 PM   #6
greengiantjl

With the BMW bluetooth system, you can use voice dialing and the number will be displayed on the radio unit or navigation. In addition, you can use the steering wheel control to select the number from your phone book (must have the compatible bluetooth phone). The BMW bluetooth system blends into the whole system so well that spending the extra $$ and time are worth it. The head unit will mute if the call comes in and resume when you end the call. I has SE bluetooth system on my previouse 323ci and it was okay, but it was alot cheaper though.
SMG2, 20" Black HRE 546, Brembo 14" front and 13.6" rear BBK, Dinan stage 2 suspension, Full CF replica CSL diffuser, ACS replica front CF splitter, CF roof spoiler, CF side gills, Vorsteiner CSL trunk, Eisenmann 76mm exhaust, Bluetooth, Naviagtion
Old 12-10-2004, 05:03 PM   #7
Technic

My Ride: 2015 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by folsom330i
Hmmm I want to do this but the whole rewire thing has me worried since I am under warranty...
If your car is US version the telephone wiring is already in your car... you only need the Bluetooth ULF module.
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 06:51 PM   #8
Saphire330XI

My Ride: 02 330XI & 07 Tundra
My system also mutes and I also have the voice regonition. I am on the road allot and I have no problems with the system. I obviously dont get the number on the radio but I can always look at the screen on my phone to see who is calling.
Saphire330XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 10:45 PM   #9
greengiantjl

one nice feature that bmw has is that you can speak out the number that you want to dial and the system will dial for you. eg. "dial 1234567"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire330XI
My system also mutes and I also have the voice regonition. I am on the road allot and I have no problems with the system. I obviously dont get the number on the radio but I can always look at the screen on my phone to see who is calling.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:52 PM   #10
Santiago

My Ride: 2004 325iT
Send a message via ICQ to Santiago Send a message via MSN to Santiago
Quote:
Originally Posted by greengiantjl
I have a 2004 Canadian version M3 coupe, and like most Canadian Bimmer, it doesn't come with telephone pre wire. I wanted the bluetooth functionality, and with the help from Santiago for acquiring the part numbers, I decided to do a telephone pre wire retrofit. It took me around 8 hours to do the whole retrofit. Basically, I spent a lot of time figuring out how to remove the interior trim. The retrofit was very straight forward (just follow the retrofit manual) except laying out the wires was pain in the ass. I had pain all over my body for 2 days due to the retrofitů Anyway, the Bluetooth is awesome; however, my Dension ICELINKV1.1 is not working since I had to replace one of the plug from the radio unit with the new plug from the new wire. My IPOD is still controllable through the steering wheel and it is recognized by the system, but there is no sound coming off the speakers. I put the old plug back in and the IPOD performed flawlessly, but this time, there was no sound from my Bluetooth. I talked to Dension, and they told me that I need a custom plug because the audio for the IPOD was disconnected. Anyway, I will keep you guys posted about the ipod issue once I got it solved with Dension.

Here are the part numbers for the retrofit wires for people who are interested:
61-12-0-143-309 (retrofit wiring harness) --- Cad$ 348.00
61-12-0-029-454 (antenna line)-------- Cad$ 52.50

These 2 items are REQUIRED for the retrofit.

You can purchase the Bluetooth kit from any dealer.

Here is the retrofit installation manual
http://members.shaw.ca/giantjl/images/bluetooth.pdf

Here is the site that contains a list of BMW Bluetooth compatible phones
http://www.x5world.net/bluetooth_compatible_phones.htm
Way to go GreenGiant.

I'm looking forward to getting on with this retrofit project myself. I'm just waiting for the antenna line to come in. I ordered it through Crevier BMW as part of a larger order I'm getting from them. Not counting shipping and possible duties/taxes, I'm getting the antenna line for 27.80 USD. It did have to be ordered from Germany.

Jackboot, who also did this retrofit, mentioned to me that US dealers cannot typically get this part. Vaheh of Crevier has pulled through and seems like he can get anything at a decent price. Have to see how much the shipping/duties/taxes makes all of the stuff I bought.

Do you have any pics of your retrofit?

Life is fragile
Santiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:03 PM   #11
greengiantjl

Thanks!!!
I don't have any pic of the installation.
One thing that you have to becareful is cutting the hole for the pairing button.
I cut too much and it looks very awkward....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago
Way to go GreenGiant.

I'm looking forward to getting on with this retrofit project myself. I'm just waiting for the antenna line to come in. I ordered it through Crevier BMW as part of a larger order I'm getting from them. Not counting shipping and possible duties/taxes, I'm getting the antenna line for 27.80 USD. It did have to be ordered from Germany.

Jackboot, who also did this retrofit, mentioned to me that US dealers cannot typically get this part. Vaheh of Crevier has pulled through and seems like he can get anything at a decent price. Have to see how much the shipping/duties/taxes makes all of the stuff I bought.

Do you have any pics of your retrofit?
Old 12-10-2004, 11:31 PM   #12
Jackboot

My Ride: Bus
Glad to hear someone else has had success with this

I think I was the first on the board (and who knows, maybe in Canada) to attempt this retrofit.

Santiago: still waiting on that part eh? Why is it taking so long? I'm sure you are anxious to get this retrofit finished!!!
Jackboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 07:11 AM   #13
Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackboot
Glad to hear someone else has had success with this

I think I was the first on the board (and who knows, maybe in Canada) to attempt this retrofit.

Santiago: still waiting on that part eh? Why is it taking so long? I'm sure you are anxious to get this retrofit finished!!!
Tell me about it. When I first got the harness from you I was very busy at work and didn't have time to go to my dealer.

Then I decided to put together an order from one of the US dealers to get some accessories and parts (CAD/USD exchange rate was looking good). I asked if he could get the antenna line and he said yes, saw the price was good and told him to proceed. Then I find out it has to come from Germany and other parts had to be ordered. It should be shipped next week which means I'll probably get it just after Christmas.

How many hours did it take you Jackboot? And if I remember correctly, you didn't even bother cutting a hole for the pairing button. Did you go back and cut a hole for it?

Life is fragile
Old 12-11-2004, 12:43 PM   #14
Jackboot

My Ride: Bus
Santiago: lovin the exchange rate right now eh?!

It took me about 2 - 3 hours to do I'd say. I wasn't hurrying at all either. In terms of laying the new wiring harness, I did it a bit differently than what is supposed to be done (as per instructions) that I didn't find necessary:

-didn't cut a hole for the pairing button. You only use this once to pair your phone - why do I need to cut a permanent hole for it? Related to this is the next thing I did different...

-didn't run the one section of wire to the armrest area. There are only 2 reasons this needs to be done: 1) to have the pairing button in the armrest, and 2) to hook up the "eject box". The "eject box" is the cradle for the phone that replaces your cupholders. We don't have it. It is an option that can be bought and is phone model specific. There is one made for the Sony Ericcson T610/T616. If I remember, that is what you have. The wiring harness connects to this eject box if you have it and makes 2 connections. One connection is power for charging the phone (kinda useful). The other connection is to the rear bumper antenna. Unless you have also done the rear bumper antenna retrofit, you don't have an antenna! This would be nice to have but probably a whole lot of work for nothing. I never have a problem with reception. To summarise, we don't have a rear bumper antenna OR eject box...so this section of the wiring harness is useless except for the pairing button connection.

It is a bit tricky to get that branch of the wiring harness across to the armrest. Like I said, I chose not to put the pairing button in its intended location due to the difficulty of getting it there, and also the fact that I don't care to have a silly pairing button there that I will use ONCE (and that is all I've used it). So, I just ran this section of the wiring harness up front behind the radio area. This is where my pairing button is. I have the pairing button concealed in the sunglass holder.

Good luck!!!
Jackboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 04:24 PM   #15
BMW Freak

My Ride: 320D Touring '03
Does anyone have the the retrofit installation manual for a touring/sport wagon?
And is the retrofitting of bluetooth possible if you retrofitted the OEM nav?

Because I found my phone (K700i) mentioned in the list of compatible phones.

Thanks.
BMW Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 11:43 PM   #16
Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Freak
Does anyone have the the retrofit installation manual for a touring/sport wagon?

Thanks.
I do. I was lucky enough to get it from someone here at E46Fanatics who has access to the right systems.

I was going to mail it to you but I can't seem to find your email address. Send it to me so that I can email it to you.

I don't know the answer regarding NAV/telephone pre-wire. I am curious about that too since I will likely do both. Maybe Technic has some insight into this since he's well versed in the wiring harnesses and stuff.

Life is fragile
Old 12-14-2004, 07:52 AM   #17
BMW Freak

My Ride: 320D Touring '03
Quote:
I do. I was lucky enough to get it from someone here at E46Fanatics who has access to the right systems.

I was going to mail it to you but I can't seem to find your email address. Send it to me so that I can email it to you.

I don't know the answer regarding NAV/telephone pre-wire. I am curious about that too since I will likely do both. Maybe Technic has some insight into this since he's well versed in the wiring harnesses and stuff.
PM sent.

Not sure if I'm going to do it, because you have to rip the interior out again.
What would the big advantage to do this?
BMW Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 08:17 AM   #18
Technic

My Ride: 2015 320i
Quote:

Thanks.

Quote:

What's up Santiago, BMWFreak...

Yes, you can install the Bluetooth ULF module in a retrofit OEM Nav system as long as you have the telephone pre-wire already in your car. If your car is not prewired then the telephone wiring retrofit kit is required; you will need the 54 pin connector in the left side of the trunk to install the BT ULF module, the microphone for voice input and the connections to the audio amp for the speaker outputs. The Nav retro comes with the telephone audio inputs connector (going to the amp) and the phone main control, display in the Nav screen and voice activation (also works with the Nav) management is thru the i-Bus wire.
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 10:33 AM   #19
Santiago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic
What's up Santiago, BMWFreak...

Yes, you can install the Bluetooth ULF module in a retrofit OEM Nav system as long as you have the telephone pre-wire already in your car. If your car is not prewired then the telephone wiring retrofit kit is required; you will need the 54 pin connector in the left side of the trunk to install the BT ULF module, the microphone for voice input and the connections to the audio amp for the speaker outputs. The Nav retro comes with the telephone audio inputs connector (going to the amp) and the phone main control, display in the Nav screen and voice activation (also works with the Nav) management is thru the i-Bus wire.
Holland / Florida / Canada - what a connection!

I have the telephone wiring harness sitting at home. I'll check it out but this is pretty good news since I was worried that the two retrofit kits may not be compatible. Now I have to find between 5-8 hours to do the telephone pre-wire/bluetooth retrofit. Have to pull a rabbit out of somewhere.

Any insight into GreenGiant's issue with his Dension Icelink? Is it simply an issue of missing an adapter that he can buy from Dension? I think Dension sells different types of Icelinks, one for Nav and one for Business/Professional head units.

Life is fragile

Last edited by Santiago; 12-14-2004 at 10:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:39 AM   #20
Santiago

Quote:
PM sent.

Not sure if I'm going to do it, because you have to rip the interior out again.
What would the big advantage to do this?
I just realized why I didn't have your email address. We had been communicating via PM.

What's the benefit? You can do what Technic has done which is use the telephone prewire and buy the right snap-in phone adapters so that you have a hardline connection between your phone and the radio speakers/ microphone/ steering wheel phone control buttons.

Alternatively you can add to that the Bluetooth adapter kit that adds a ULF module so that you can connect your phone via Bluetooth to the car. The bonus in this is that you will also get the voice activation module which will allow you to issue voice commands to your NAV module.

I believe if you choose to go just with the hardwire connection you will have to buy the microphone separately but I've seen these go on eBay for a pretty decent price (under $50 USD I think).

Life is fragile