E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2008, 02:00 PM   #1
yellowssm

My Ride: 2005 M3
When you do a burnout at the drag strip...

All you F/I guys. Do you start in first gear and go on and off the throttle so your not bouncing off the rev-limiter? I was also suggested to start in second gear and do it then? this is for the 6MT guys btw. I know you smg guys can cheat at this

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
plaroud

My Ride: 2003 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowss, View Post
All you F/I guys. Do you start in first gear and go on and off the throttle so your not bouncing off the rev-limiter? I was also suggested to start in second gear and do it then? this is for the 6MT guys btw. I know you smg guys can cheat at this
You definetly have the power to do the burn out in 2nd and even third. The clutch wouldnt like that too much though. I think I remember you saying you will only use street tires though. If you use street tires you dont need a long burn out, maybe 2-3 seconds @ 3-4k rpm if you are wearing DR's then about 5-6 seconds @ 4-5k rpm.

Something like this:

2003 M3
Scorpion Exhaust
K&N Cold air intake
Denso Irridium Sparks
H&R Sport springs
plaroud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
yellowssm

i have a buddy that might let me use his drag radials.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
SPDu4ea

My Ride: .
Quote:
go on and off the throttle
There is an in-between
SPDu4ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #5
xcoolnessx

My Ride: Rover
Quote:
i have a buddy that might let me use his drag radials.
when you going!?

Photobucket

xcoolnessx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
yellowssm

Dec 12th. Last one of the year in vegas before they shut the track down for winter.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #7
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Use 2nd gear.

With drag radials you really don't need to heat them up much...in fact many people overheat them.

Do a burn out until you see a light haze in your sideview mirror then let off.

You will actually go slower if you do this with street tires...they get overheated really easily.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #8
frobie15

My Ride: has a door star
Send a message via AIM to frobie15
And for the love of God, if you have a treaded tire don't use the water box! That just gets water in the tread of the tires which comes out where? Oh yeah, at the starting line when you're staging.

Thank you Sam
frobie15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:49 PM   #9
madmike46

My Ride: e46 m3
try this.....

Here are a couple of things to think about when doing your burnout. First off, this time of year I doubt you will over heat your tires to much AFTER A huge BURN-OUT! You dont need to go crazy but get them smokin! lots of smoke is fine. I would say 15-20 seconds of 5000 rpm in third gear would be great. If you use a lower gear you will need to blister the hydes for longer... next drive it HARD to the prestage light. Those smokin hot tires are cooling fast as I again would doubt the the track temp will exceed 95 degrees. The optium temp for a raceing slick and track temp on a NHRA Prostock is around 117. Your tire will never get any hotter than 120 and the track will cool it very fast. When you start your burn out, pull shallow in the bleach box, leave it in low gear and do a quick drop of the clutch to spin the tire and get it completly wet. Then pull forward abit with your now entirely wet tire jam it in 3rd gear rev it up and drop the clutch! THE rpm WILL SKYROCKET SO WATCH OUT! TRY TO HOLD IT 5000 OR A BIT MORE.... It will be harder than you might imagine. get to the presatge beam quickly as the tire is cooling. Go ahead and get it staged quicky as it gives you more time to prepair before the other guy and if you do it right your hot tire will be melting/ sticking to that spot on the race track. Like a hot tire patch. Hope this help.... HAPPY MOTORING! and low ET's
madmike46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:47 PM   #10
DLSJ5

My Ride: BMW M3
Quote:
You better beat John's VFE Stage 2 time of 12.2 at that track, otherwise you won't hear the end of it from me Ray.

I wouldn't run it on street tires, use John's DR's! I'd ask John what his experience was with regards to how long to burnout, etc., it also depends on track prep, I've always done 1st gear burnouts for a good 5 seconds, then come out of the water box, and have managed a 1.6 - 1.8 60's, with a 2500RPM launch, but it was also dependent on track prep more than anything else, I'm SMG. Good luck Brotha.
ESS VT625+ SC 60-130 MPH 6.8s
11.30 @ 129.3 MPH
ESS VT725 SC 60-130 MPH 6.4s
10.81 @ 135.12 MPH
SS3 1/2 Mile Trap 174.12 MPH

Previous
VFE Stage 2 E46 M3 Best ET 11.51 @ 122MPH
60-130MPH 8.67s
DLSJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #11
Evil Twin Rob

My Ride: 2004 M3
I've always stayed in 1st, usually keeping the revs in the 5-6k range. As mentioned before, drive around the water box with street tires. DR's will take longer to see smoke than street tires. When you see smoke, you shoould be ready to go. One quick spin after you leave the water box and head to the line.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #12
yellowssm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLSJ5 View Post
You better beat John's VFE Stage 2 time of 12.2 at that track, otherwise you won't hear the end of it from me Ray.

I wouldn't run it on street tires, use John's DR's! I'd ask John what his experience was with regards to how long to burnout, etc., it also depends on track prep, I've always done 1st gear burnouts for a good 5 seconds, then come out of the water box, and have managed a 1.6 - 1.8 60's, with a 2500RPM launch, but it was also dependent on track prep more than anything else, I'm SMG. Good luck Brotha.
I know I can beat johns time cause I was driving crappy, on street tires, and wasnt even using race gas. If john lets me use his drag radials, i am shooting for low 11's. You should come to vegas and show us how its done.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:01 AM   #13
yellowssm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin Rob View Post
I've always stayed in 1st, usually keeping the revs in the 5-6k range. As mentioned before, drive around the water box with street tires. DR's will take longer to see smoke than street tires. When you see smoke, you shoould be ready to go. One quick spin after you leave the water box and head to the line.
what are you launching at? do you dump the clutch at the launch or feather it?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:33 PM   #14
Evil Twin Rob

Quote:
what are you launching at? do you dump the clutch at the launch or feather it?
I've done best launching between 4 and 5. Feathering the clutch will definitely give the best results, but it's sometimes it's hard not to get excited and let it out too fast. I made a couple runs with an in car cam that I can re-post if you haven't seen it.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #15
yellowssm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin Rob View Post
I've done best launching between 4 and 5. Feathering the clutch will definitely give the best results, but it's sometimes it's hard not to get excited and let it out too fast. I made a couple runs with an in car cam that I can re-post if you haven't seen it.
i dont know if ive seen those vids, post them up again here
Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 AM   #16
Evil Twin Rob

Quote:
i dont know if ive seen those vids, post them up again here