E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
cristivw

My Ride: BMW E46 320d
Send a message via Yahoo to cristivw
Harman/Kardon button pin-out

Hi there guys! I have a little problem. Here's the case: I just got a H/K OEM button, which I want to add to my system. But I need help! Can anybody tell me how should I pin-out the button? I see it has 6 pins. I can not order the connector, because I can not find the Part Number. And I want to connect it, but I really don't know how to do this.
I guess... 2 wires should be for the illumination, another 2 for it to function...
Please help! Can anyone take a look at the wires that go in the button, and in which pins?

The button's Part Number is 61318363679 and you can find it here: part 8 - SOUND SWITCH.

Thank you in advance!
cristivw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #2
cristivw

No one? At least, can you please take a picture with the button's connector, to see what wires go in it, and the PN for the connector?
Thank you.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:00 AM   #3
jaymar88

My Ride: Acura
I don't understand what you're trying to get the button to do. Installing the button doesn't magically make your regular system an HK system. Maybe a little more detail as to what you're trying to achieve.
Old 12-16-2008, 02:43 AM   #4
chuckles

My Ride: 330ci
i just bought aftermarket and threw away the hk, not that great anyways
chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
4 door 330

My Ride: 2001 330i
I need this button pin out too. I retrofit an HK System, and I want to add the "HK Effect," unless its always on...

2001 330i 4dr - In the garage.
1986 335is - Sold.
1975 2002 - Sold.
1989 E30 M3 - Sold.
4 door 330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
cristivw

I want to use the button for a remote signal, that starts an amplifier. And I guessed that I could do it: 2 wires should be a + and - for the illumination, and another two wires to connect the circuit.
The fact is, that I have installed the Harman/Kardon subwoofers in the trunk, I mannaged to make them work. I just want to use this button to turn theyr amp on/off, using the remote signal that gets theyr amp to go.
I don't know if I'm expressing myself properly... don't know the technical terms in English. That's why I need the pinout. Can anyone help? A simple measureing of the signals would be nice, or at least the wire colours in the back...?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #7
cristivw

I found out that the button has 6 pins, and only 4 of them are connected. There are 4 wires: brown (brn), violet with white (vlt/wh), yellow with black (yel/blk), grey with red (gr/rd). But I do not know which of them goes to which pin number. Can anyone help?

I need to know:
brown - pin #
violet/white - pin #
yellow/black - pin#
grey/red - pin #
Old 03-06-2009, 02:00 AM   #8
Cazz

My Ride: 2005 BMW M3
If you have the switch you should be able to test its function with a multimeter. Push the button and see which pins have continuity. After finding the switched wires you should be able to use a nine volt battery to test the illumination.

Also, the brown wire is going to be the ground wire.
Cazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:31 PM   #9
rsramirez

My Ride: E46M3
Finally figured it out!

You know what, I've been trying to figure this out for years. Maybe every 6 months or so I perform a search to see if I could find anything. Back in 2002, I had changed out my stereo, but always wanted to reuse this button as a trigger in the trunk.

Per this page PIN 15 Yellow/Black in the trunk is active when the HK Spatial button is turned on. I don't know what the voltage is, probably low, but a low voltage trigger can always be used.

Based on Cazz stating that Brown is Ground, and extrapolating from the numerous wiring diagrams for the radio and amp floating around the net, I'm ASSUMING the following pin configuration:

brown - GROUND
violet/white - 12 volt switched (Head Unit power line)
yellow/black - TRIGGER
grey/red - illumination

Again, I'm just extrapolating based on the wiring in the trunk. It should be easy enough to verify w/ a multimeter.
rsramirez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
ventur@

My Ride: 2004 330cic
im thinking about doing the same thing for my amp. right now its on a hidden rocker switch, would be cool to have it as the illuminated HK button.
ventur@ is offline   Reply With Quote