E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 11:49 AM   #21
winston330xi

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330xi
Thanks, i left it overnight and the tank is still full today. I checked with my peake scanner and no codes came up. I drove it to see it would help and temp stayed in the middle and the heater worked great. When I got home let it cool down and checked coolant, it was still full and dash light still on.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 PM   #22
Paul180

My Ride: 2003 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston330xi View Post
Thanks, i left it overnight and the tank is still full today. I checked with my peake scanner and no codes came up. I drove it to see it would help and temp stayed in the middle and the heater worked great. When I got home let it cool down and checked coolant, it was still full and dash light still on.
The level sensor is easily damaged, so it may be possible that it got broken at some point. My guess is that the sensor isn't functioning properly since your level is good. If all else fails, replace the level sensor.
Paul180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 PM   #23
adiazrael

My Ride: BMW 325i E46
Is it necessary to remove the coolant from the engine block coolant in order to replace the expansion tank only??
adiazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #24
Paul180

Quote:
Originally Posted by adiazrael View Post
Is it necessary to remove the coolant from the engine block coolant in order to replace the expansion tank only??
It is not necessary to drain the engine block if you are replacing the expansion tank. However, since you have to mix up coolant to add for the draining of the expansion tank and radiator, you might as well drain the block as well and change it all, but you don't have to.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #25
adiazrael

My Ride: BMW 325i E46
Thanks Paul!
adiazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #26
2003bmw330iLA

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
I just did the Expansion Tank myself. The new tank comes with the level sensor, plug it in and fill tank, the level sensor on dash should go off.
That's what the level senor do and nothing else. I had the sensor disconnected and fill the tank just to test if the dash sensor light stays on while it is not connected. So the dash level light stays on while it is disconnected. You may have a short on the sensor wires or it broke somewhere, do a circuit test on the sensor wiring. DIY weekender.
2003bmw330iLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 PM   #27
2003bmw330iLA

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
I replaced all the hoses, E Tank, sensors....etc. My problem is the temperature gauge goes into red very quickly as soon as I drive it around the block, and stays there. I think my themostat is stuck, since I felt both the before (lower) and after (upper) hoses on the Themostat housing is blowing up with pressure. I think my problem is the wiring on the Thermostat housing, but not sure, anyone knows anything on that???
Someone said something about the themostat open/close is controlled by the wiring on top of the Thermostat housing...can't confirm if that's true.... Thanks!
2003bmw330iLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #28
Paul180

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003bmw330iLA View Post
I replaced all the hoses, E Tank, sensors....etc. My problem is the temperature gauge goes into red very quickly as soon as I drive it around the block, and stays there. I think my themostat is stuck, since I felt both the before (lower) and after (upper) hoses on the Themostat housing is blowing up with pressure. I think my problem is the wiring on the Thermostat housing, but not sure, anyone knows anything on that???
Someone said something about the themostat open/close is controlled by the wiring on top of the Thermostat housing...can't confirm if that's true.... Thanks!

I'd first check to make sure that you don't have any air trapped in your coolant system by rebleeding it (directions in DIY). It is possible that your thermostat failed, but highly unlikely unless you broke something along the way. My advice is to rebleed, if that fails, replace the thermostat since it's going to need replacing eventually anyways.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:29 PM   #29
stigz

My Ride: 2002 325xi
So what's the trick to the expansion tank? How stuck have yours been? I'm trying to replace mine but it won't budge.

2002 325xi - koni adjustables all around - Kosei R1's all around - double din pioneer f700bt
stigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #30
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
nice! just the thing i was looking for... along with a few other DIYs.
This would probably be too hard for me, but I'll give it a shot in a few months

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #31
mdva

My Ride: E39, E90, E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by stigz View Post
So what's the trick to the expansion tank? How stuck have yours been? I'm trying to replace mine but it won't budge.
Did mine last week. After struggling with mine for about 30 minutes with it, I tried the floor jack and hammer handle method. Popped off like a champ.

This thread helped me out: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=208898

Current: 1991 325ic, 2003 530i, 2008 335i
Retired: 1986 325e, 1991 318i, 1998 528i, 2002 325xiT, 2005 325xiT
mdva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 03:48 PM   #32
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Just finished doing mine. Took about 5 hours. Great write up! A couple things to note.

1) The lower hose was a huge pain in the a$$. I found that if you cut the hose off with a knife at the end with the temp sensor, it is much easier to then get under the car and pull and pry it off with plyers. This saved some busted knuckles and time.

2) You dont need to take the dust cover off the tensioner on the passenger side of the car. This one is for the a/c and can be left alone.

All in all great write up and it was well worth it
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #33
schnejerator

My Ride: 01 325i black bomb
AT owners watch that transmission thermostat when beating on things... It mates with the bottom of the expansion tank. I'm patiently awaiting a new one (yawn).

liar!

KTHXBYE
schnejerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:15 PM   #34
EurosportAMG

My Ride: bm mb
great diy writeup
EurosportAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:45 PM   #35
slysloth

My Ride: 2000 328i
did mine about a month ago and ran into an internal thermostat between the radiator and the expansion tank that was no good and did not come with the tischer kit so had to wait 3 more days to finally get it all done
Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 PM   #36
kataE46

My Ride: 2001 E46
Need Help!!!! I was on my way to replace my cooling system and have the DIY for it. I was wondering if anybody had the same issue that I am having right now. Here are the pics:

Notice the difference of picture 1 to picture 2.

I borrowed this pic from the DIY page just for comparison.

It might be because of a different model but mine only had one drain plug. I need to replace the expansion tank but it seems to be connected to this aluminum looking part. I really need some good advice on this one before I can proceed. Thanks
Old 04-08-2009, 12:32 PM   #37
supratter

My Ride: 2001 330i
the aluminum part I believe it's the cooler for the automatic transmission and I think it's connected to the radiator not the tank, I don't remember doing anything to it when I replaced mine, it's a pretty straight forward process, just remove the bottom clamp that holds the tank, temp sensor, top clamps and it should come right off
supratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:25 PM   #38
kataE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by supratter View Post
the aluminum part I believe it's the cooler for the automatic transmission and I think it's connected to the radiator not the tank, I don't remember doing anything to it when I replaced mine, it's a pretty straight forward process, just remove the bottom clamp that holds the tank, temp sensor, top clamps and it should come right off
You are correct, I grabbed the new expansion tank and noticed that it has nothing to do with it. I just got worried for a minute when I did not see a second drain plug. Thanks again.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:48 PM   #39
kataE46

finally

Last edited by kataE46; 04-13-2009 at 10:22 PM. Reason: fixed it
kataE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #40
supratter

My Ride: 2001 330i
great !
supratter is offline   Reply With Quote