E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2009, 04:37 PM   #41
kataE46

My Ride: 2001 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kataE46 View Post
Need Help!!!! I was on my way to replace my cooling system and have the DIY for it. I was wondering if anybody had the same issue that I am having right now. Here are the pics:
here's an update. Finally I was able to replace my cooling system. Just when I thought I was done I notice something. There is a leak coming from the blue screw. I think it is where it is screwed in. What is this part called? Thanks. I guess i can still drive the car as long as I keep checking the water level.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:17 AM   #42
supratter

My Ride: 2001 330i
that would be your drain plug/screw, have you tried tightening it a tad more ? I believe there is an oring either on the screw or the inside of that hole, it could be messed up
supratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:52 PM   #43
motosport3

My Ride: 05 911S, 05 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to motosport3
I've noticed a leak has started to develop on my lower radiator hose (labeled water hose by BMW) near the sensor. What are the proper steps to just change out this hose? I don't think I need to drain the coolant out. Thinking of catching it in a container....let me know if that assumption is wrong. Any other pointers as well?
motosport3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #44
SoCalSteve

My Ride: '01 325
Great write-up. Did this today.
SoCalSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #45
Sixracer

My Ride: '01 325xiT, '85 M635
Gonna do this this weekend. Did my thermostat and pump but stopped short of the tank and hoses. Noticed my tank has a 01/03/2001 sticker on it so I think it NEEDs to go! Going to do belts too while I am in there.

Can I use bottled spring water instead of distilled water????
Old 09-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #46
supratter

why?? just go to your local walmart/target and pick up the distilled water gallon for $.99, that's what's recommended
Old 09-29-2009, 10:14 PM   #47
Sixracer

Yeah, I will probably do that. I might have some RO/DI water sitting around for my fish tank too.

(I live in the city so hitting up a decent sized market requires driving in traffic)

Last edited by Sixracer; 09-29-2009 at 11:03 PM.
Sixracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:02 PM   #48
supratter

I'm glad I have the target 1 block away, good luck
Old 10-28-2009, 03:51 PM   #49
Verukt330

My Ride: '01 330i
Paul, thanks so much for the writeup in the initial post!

A few comments based on my own experience this past weekend:

1) I found removing the lower hose by tapping its edge with a flat screwdriver and a mallet worked fairly well. You can get a little bit of an angle on the screwdriver holding it just under the front spoiler.

2) When re-installing the expansion tank, I used a helper. I laid under the car and supported the plastic parts that the tank snaps into. Then he pressed the tank down from the top. It took a lot of force to snap it in. I don't know how you could do that by yourself without breaking the plastic pieces on the bottom!

3) My thermostat had been leaking on the original water pump for who knows how long. The water pump mounts broke as I removed it, they were so brittle. Who knows how soon that entire thing would have died!! If you have a leaky thermostat housing, replace that pump ASAP!

4) I ordered a lower radiator hose from AutohausAZ. However, I didn't order a new temp sensor for it. I just reused the original. Well, once I had everything hooked up and starting filling the system, the hose was leaking at the temp sensor fitting. I ended up tearing everything apart and reinstalling the original hose with the original sensor -- no leaks. So I know I didn't mess up the sensor's "clogging" ability during all this, it simply doesn't fit in the new hose correctly. I called around and it seems neither the sensor or the hose has changed for the entire span of the E46s so I'm going to return the hose to AutohausAZ assuming it's defective. I'll probably go to the dealer for a new hose and sensor, despite them costing twice as much.

Saved $500 in labor costs from my local shop and it was well worth it! Thanks again!
Verukt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 04:03 PM   #50
Sixracer

What did you do about your broken water pump mounts?

Did you replace the stud bolts?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...68&hg=11&fg=10

Last edited by Sixracer; 10-28-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Sixracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #51
Verukt330

My Ride: '01 330i
I should clarify. The mounting studs are fine. It was the water pump itself that broke -- the "arms" that you slide the mounting studs through broke when I tightened the hex screws to pop the water pump out of the motor.

Scared me at first because I thought the water pump was stuck in there but I was able to pull it out by hand at that point.
Verukt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:50 PM   #52
frogg320

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frogg320 View Post
I, for one, would like to say that even if you have a high mileage car, if things don't need replacing, I don't think they need to be replaced. Sure, things like the water pump which have a bad reputation and are hard to inspect might be a very good idea--I upgraded to a Stewart pump myself based on just that concern. But hoses, for example, you should be able to manually inspect for wear and age. If they're fine, there really isn't any point in replacing them. When the thermostat goes bad, you'll know about it, just stay on top of inspecting your car and reading codes regularly and I think you can save a lot of money by not replacing perfectly good parts. Just my two cents!

That said, good writeup, thanks! I'm a big fan of your site.
So, my expansion tank just popped, luckily I was only a couple miles away from home and some duct tape and cold weather managed to get me home safely! I took out the old one to inspect damage and found I also had a bad radiator cap (the bottom O-ring section broke off) and I have a hose going bad connecting to the expansion tank...also a bad idler pulley.

Anyway, in light of this, I think it may make sense to preemptively replace the expansion tank. It fails because it gets brittle over time and heat cycles (NOT because of overfilling, as lots of people will say...you basically can't overfill this system if the cap is functioning properly, it will just overflow to the right level).

It's a $40 part online (autohausaz is my shop of choice), and it is kind of a PITA but it's probably worthwhile. Now, I have 152k on the clock, so I think replacing it every 60k might be excessive...that said, some will break earlier, and perhaps it's hard to prevent that. Maybe replacing it every 100k is a good policy--hoses I still believe you can inspect/feel and watch for signs of failure, but brittle plastic is hard to tell from new plastic, and that's why I'd replace it early. I'm driving from GA to NJ next week, and I'm lucky this didn't happen then.

This has got me thinking, though...there are plastic end tanks on that radiator, which is probably the same age. Is this a good time to replace that as well? Hmmm. It costs more like $140, so I'm a little less eager to do so, but perhaps I should learn my lesson. On the other hand, expansion tanks have a much worse reputation, and the end tanks look a little better-designed (reinforcing ribs and such)...

...shall we find out?

Last edited by frogg320; 12-15-2009 at 02:52 PM.
frogg320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:26 PM   #53
01-ADANA

My Ride: 2002 325i
I need to do this pretty soon as I just found out today that I have a crack in the expansion tank, anyone in Northern VA area would like to do this together?

2002 325I
01-ADANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #54
dave330i

My Ride: 2001 330i steel blue
in step 5 under the expansion tank...what does that little tab that slides in and out do? what is it for?

Last edited by dave330i; 12-17-2009 at 06:31 PM.
dave330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #55
AEmedic

My Ride: 2008 528i
Send a message via Yahoo to AEmedic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave330i View Post
in step 5 under the expansion tank...what does that little tab that slides in and out do? what is it for?
It is the lock mechanism that holds the tank down.

2008 528i - Deep Green Metallic
AEmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #56
oovvutt

My Ride: 2000 323ci
amazing thanks!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 PM   #57
01-ADANA

Finally did this today, but no heat ?

Finally I just did this today. Believe it or not it took me 8 hours but I also had to replace my tensoner pulley (upgraded it to a hydraulic one) and idler pulley with new belts, all my beautiful sunny day was gone for my beautfil car. Well worth it! I also found that the lower radiator hose was a bit*h to get it off, it took me a good half an hour if not more. Once finished, I started the car and the temprature stayed in the middle, but I couldnt get the heater going. I bleed the system three times and as of now still it is blowing cold air! I didnt take it for a drive yet, since I am dead tired and will give it an another shot tomorrow again!

Great write up Paul - YOU ARE THE MAN!!!

2002 325I
Old 01-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #58
frogg320

My Ride: 2000 323i
Your heater core isn't bled--make sure you follow the instructions about opening the valve when you're bleeding. This is what I did:

(starting with a cold car)
-Turn key to ignition position (position 2?), but do not start engine
-Move dial on vents to full hot
-Set temp control to max (it goes up to 90 something, I think)
-Select foot mid and defrost blowers
-Set fan to LOWEST setting. You could run higher, but there is no point.

One or more of these steps may be unnecessary, but since you have to kind of trick the temp controls into doing what you want I felt like I should cover all the bases...anyway, this worked for me, and definitely gets the car trying hard to use the heater core.

Now with this going, open the bleeder screw and then open the radiator cap and start filling until it pours out of the bleeder screw without bubbles. As it's pouring out, close the screw, then put the cap back on. Start her up, get up to temp, check for issues. At this point sometimes I crack the bleeder screw again, and hot coolant will start spraying out...be careful! Perhaps not necessary. You can skip right to the last step, which is waiting a really long time for it to get all the way cold again and then repeating the process.

After 2 of these you should definitely have it overfull, and you'll see some dried spots where it flows out of the cap afterward. This is healthy, do not listen to the stories about expansion tanks cracking because someone overfilled them, it's not true.

For me, the best test to see that I had gotten every bubble out (besides the big signs: normal temp, hot air blowing) was that I didn't hear any gurgling from the heater core in the cabin when I revved at a stop. Before it was bled all the way, I would.

Good luck
frogg320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #59
01-ADANA

Where is my coolant going?

Frogg - I did exactly what u said and the heater is back on; however my light comes on and off again. So I checked my coolant level it is not full, and there are no leaks. Where is my coolant going? Very interesting.

2002 325I
Old 01-17-2010, 03:34 AM   #60
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
My coolant light comes on and off too... But I cannot find any leaks. Will this coolant show if it is dry? For example white residue or something... I checked before and after driving and I see no wettness or leaks or puddles. Yet my coolant level drops.

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote