E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #21
Bimmer330cibro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boz-Bank, Cali
Posts: 1,100
My Ride: AW 330ci And IR M3
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer330cibro Send a message via MSN to Bimmer330cibro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
My lawd! Just assume they don't have opposable thumbs. Assume PS3 is not option.

Now, back to my original question...
399 one cuz it has HDMI ports.
__________________
Bimmer330cibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #22
The Jerk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my $28mil armchair, smokin a cigar...
Posts: 507
My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer330cibro View Post
399 one cuz it has HDMI ports.
They both have HDMI.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #23
The Jerk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my $28mil armchair, smokin a cigar...
Posts: 507
My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
Is BD live/Profile 2.0 worth the extra $100?
The cheaper model states that is is "BD ready"... wonder what that means.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #24
bmwti
yuppie racing
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,959
My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
I see your point, but there's really no reason to get them the PS3


BACK ON TOPIC
if you're asking what is the best option for blu-ray use and you're willing to spend $400. The PS3 is the BEST option. forget about it being a gaming system, compared to the other two- it loads the disk much faster, and always updates to the correct firmware easily as new features are added. The profile 2.0 requires an internet connection to take full advantage of, and the PS3 is WiFi, also making things much easier.

Its absurd not to consider the PS3. At that price point, its the better option as a blu-ray player, and not getting them one, is providing them with a lesser product. Just buy them the remote too, since we're supposed to assume they dont have "opposable thumbs".

Pop in a disc, click play on the remote- they dont even have to know about its other features.
__________________

Last edited by bmwti; 12-10-2008 at 01:32 PM.
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:15 PM   #25
ghorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 400
My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwti View Post
if you're asking what is the best option for blu-ray use and you're willing to spend $400. The PS3 is the BEST option. forget about it being a gaming system, compared to the other two- it loads the disk much faster, and always updates to the correct firmware easily as new features are added. The profile 2.0 require and internet connection to take full advantage of, and the PS3 is WiFi, also making things much easier.

Its absurd not to consider the PS3. At that price point, its the better option as a blu-ray player, and not getting them one, is providing them with a lesser product. Just buy them the remote too, since we're supposed to assume the dont have "opposable thumbs".

Pop in a disc, click play on the remote- they dont even have to know about its other features.
Ok, but here's my concern: I'm getting this for my older bro. I have a 360 (actually, he gave me the 360 last Xmas) and I think if I get him the PS3, it looks like I'm getting myself a gift and just putting his name on it. Ya know? Thoughts? Note: he doesn't play any console or pc games
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.

Last edited by ghorn; 12-10-2008 at 01:17 PM.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #26
The Jerk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my $28mil armchair, smokin a cigar...
Posts: 507
My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
Thoughts?
Save yourself the $100 and buy the $299 player. It is easy to update, too. It has HDMI. It also supports 24P.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:23 PM   #27
bmwti
yuppie racing
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,959
My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
Ok, but here's my concern: I'm getting this for my older bro. I have a 360 (actually, he gave me the 360 last Xmas) and I think if I get him the PS3, it looks like I'm getting myself a gift and just putting his name on it. Ya know? Thoughts?

well if you want to get him the BEST blu-ray player at that price point that you're willing to spend- than you should get him the PS3 regardless of the fact.

If you're concern is him thinking that you just bought a gift for yourself than dont ever buy any games for it.
__________________
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #28
ghorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 400
My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwti View Post
well if you want to get him the BEST blu-ray player at that price point that you're willing to spend- than you should get him the PS3 regardless of the fact.

If you're concern is him thinking that you just bought a gift for yourself than dont ever buy any games for it.
You certainly make a compelling case...
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #29
bmwti
yuppie racing
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,959
My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghorn View Post
You certainly make a compelling case...

Actually sony is making the compelling case. If you want to spend less money, this xmas there are finally Blu-Ray players that will "get the job done".

But if you're willing to spend 400 dollars, at that price point- the PS3 is currently the fastest loading, has wifi, and has the most simple and constant of updates. (for example there have been small cases of movies coming out, that arent working that well with some of the players, and unfortunately updates are needed- the PS3 is getting the updates within days, while waiting for some of the standard players to get them isnt as simple or common)
__________________
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #30
jnghiem005
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 105
My Ride: 2001 325Ci Convert.
I've looking at those 2 players too. The big selling point for me is that the $399 model has an ethernet port, but the $299 does not. I think it is an important feature which allows you to update the firmware.
jnghiem005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #31
grzes12n
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NYC/PA
Posts: 1,309
My Ride: SRT8
ps3

Last edited by grzes12n; 12-10-2008 at 01:48 PM.
grzes12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:48 PM   #32
SelfMadeMan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange County
Posts: 90
My Ride: 2005 325 CI
The sony players are both terrible. Get the Samsung BD-P1500.

I'm a custom home theater programmer and installer as well as sales.

-SMM
SelfMadeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #33
The Jerk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my $28mil armchair, smokin a cigar...
Posts: 507
My Ride: E46 M3
Why not buy a less expensive player? They can be had for $140 these days...
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:03 PM   #34
blownE30M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego, SoCal
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Wow. I didnt know there were so many AV experts here.

PS3 is not better then a blu-ray player. If any of you had both you would see why.

Grizza the Live is not worth it, but the ethernet is, get the 550.
__________________


Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:05 PM   #35
blownE30M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego, SoCal
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfMadeMan View Post
The sony players are both terrible. Get the Samsung BD-P1500.

I'm a custom home theater programmer and installer as well as sales.

-SMM
For who?
__________________


Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #36
The Jerk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my $28mil armchair, smokin a cigar...
Posts: 507
My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post
the ethernet is, get the 550.
They both have an ethernet port.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #37
phatmustang73
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Plano, Texas
Posts: 1,215
My Ride: '02 CB M3 Cabriolet
Send a message via AIM to phatmustang73
I bought the S350 from Fry's on Black Friday for $178 & the quality is awesome! It does take a little while to load blu-ray dvd's, but I guess that the case for all blu-ray dvd players. I love the size of the S350, it's really compact & the picture quality is out of this world!
phatmustang73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #38
The Jerk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my $28mil armchair, smokin a cigar...
Posts: 507
My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatmustang73 View Post
It does take a little while to load blu-ray dvd's, but I guess that the case for all blu-ray dvd players.
+1 from what I have seen.

Also, it varies by disc. The Shining was an almost instant load, whereas Dark Knight took forever.
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:30 PM   #39
bmwti
yuppie racing
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,959
My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post
Wow. I didnt know there were so many AV experts here.

PS3 is not better then a blu-ray player. If any of you had both you would see why.

Grizza the Live is not worth it, but the ethernet is, get the 550.
rather than just saying "if you had both you would see why"-

why not elaborate on why the PS3 is "not better than a blu-ray player".

considering up until recently almost all publications considered the PS3 the best option on the market, and considering the fact that the PS3 IS a blu-ray player, I fail to see how its "not better than a blu-ray player"

for the average person it makes perfect sense-

It has by far the fastest load times because of its huge internal memory, has the most consistent and easiest updates because of its wifi, has a picture quality that is better than most, and is at a price comparable to other equivalents on the market.

the only flaw that I can really think of is that it sends out signals like DTS-HD MA in PCM, which means absolutely nothing to anyone if they dont have the right equipment and are not a hardcore audiophile. Oh, and some people are annoyed because it doesnt have an infra-red port thus the remote is blu-tooth.

Unless he is looking for something cheaper, or unless he is willing to shell out more money, the PS3 is a great option- and is vastly considered when of the better choices for blu-ray watching.
__________________

Last edited by bmwti; 12-10-2008 at 04:37 PM.
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #40
blownE30M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego, SoCal
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwti View Post
rather than just saying "if you had both you would see why"-

why not elaborate on why the PS3 is "not better than a blu-ray player".

considering up until recently almost all publications considered the PS3 the best option on the market, and considering the fact that the PS3 IS a blu-ray player, I fail to see how its "not better than a blu-ray player"

for the average person it makes perfect sense-

It has by far the fastest load times because of its huge internal memory, has the most consistent and easiest updates because of its wifi, has a picture quality that is better than most, and is at a price comparable to other equivalents on the market.

the only flaw that I can really think of is that it sends out signals like DTS-MA in PCM, which means absolutely nothing to anyone if they dont have the right equipment and are not a hardcore audiophile. Oh, and some people are annoyed because the remote is blu-tooth, thus they cant pair it with a universal remote.

Unless he is looking for something cheaper, or unless he is willing to shell out more money, the PS3 is a great option- and is vastly considered when of the better choices for blu-ray watching.
Have done it multiple times here. Check the right forum. I'll summarize I guess: horrible menu structure, bad picture quality, very very poor video playback control, unnecessary features, etc etc.

The only viable reason for the PS3 before was because it was cheaper then Blu-Ray players. That is not the case anymore and the PS3 is not the best Blu_ray player you can buy now, not even for the money.
__________________


Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use