E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #41
bmwti
yuppie racing
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,959
My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post
Have done it multiple times here. Check the right forum. I'll summarize I guess: horrible menu structure, bad picture quality, very very poor video playback control, unnecessary features, etc etc.

The only viable reason for the PS3 before was because it was cheaper then Blu-Ray players. That is not the case anymore and the PS3 is not the best Blu_ray player you can buy now, not even for the money.
your comment was in this thread, I shouldnt have to search another forum to find out what you meant in THIS thread. But thank you for clarifying.

and apparently I misunderstood what you said, as your comment was the PS3 was not better than a blu-ray player- I took that to mean that you think every stand alone player is better than a PS3.

but my position still stands unless you're buying truly high end, PS3 is a great alternative based on the reasons I mentioned. And the PS3 does NOT have bad picture quality. Far from it in fact...

In terms of the two blu-ray players mentioned, other than the price difference the PS3 is in every way a better player than the S350 and although the S550 makes a decent alternative, the reasons I mentioned far outweigh any downsides.
__________________

Last edited by bmwti; 12-10-2008 at 05:00 PM.
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #42
bimmerchop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 11,042
My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post
Have done it multiple times here. Check the right forum. I'll summarize I guess: horrible menu structure, bad picture quality, very very poor video playback control, unnecessary features, etc etc.

The only viable reason for the PS3 before was because it was cheaper then Blu-Ray players. That is not the case anymore and the PS3 is not the best Blu_ray player you can buy now, not even for the money.
practically every point you made was subjective or plain wrong
__________________
- Rich - Flickr - Stage 3+ TiAL B5 S4

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #43
blownE30M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego, SoCal
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwti View Post
your comment was in this thread, I shouldnt have to search another forum to find out what you meant in THIS thread. But thank you for clarifying.

and apparently I misunderstood what you said, as your comment was the PS3 was not better than a blu-ray player- I took that to mean that you think every stand alone player is better than a PS3.

but my position still stands unless you're buying truly high end, PS3 is a great alternative based on the reasons I mentioned. And the PS3 does NOT have bad picture quality. Far from it in fact...

In terms of the two blu-ray players mentioned, other than the price difference the PS3 is in every way a better player than the S350 and although the S550 makes a decent alternative, the reasons I mentioned far outweigh any downsides.
I'm not against PS3's. I have one. I went out and bought another seperate Blu-Ray because of the points I have made. We have tried to include PS3's in client's installs, but they do not fly, again for those reasons. I won't suggest a PS3 over a stand alone any day of the week, because frankly, if you are not used to using a gaming system, using the PS3 is a pain in the ass. The initial login, fast forward, rewind, top menu, etc.

As for video quality, have you seen them side by side?

Oh, and be damned if you want to incorporate a PS3 into a programmable remote. Nyko controls are absolutely terrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerchop View Post
practically every point you made was subjective or plain wrong
lol, go ahead, enlighten me. I don't work with them everyday. Please....
__________________


Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com

Last edited by blownE30M3; 12-10-2008 at 05:10 PM.
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:13 PM   #44
bmwti
yuppie racing
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,959
My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post
The only viable reason for the PS3 before was because it was cheaper then Blu-Ray players. That is not the case anymore and the PS3 is not the best Blu_ray player you can buy now, not even for the money.
and just to add to your point about the ONLY reason the PS3 was because it was cheaper-


here is an article that is one week old from CNET

BEST BLU-RAY players on the market-

Quote:
now that HD DVD is dead, home theater fans have only one choice for high-def movie discs: Blu-ray. Blu-ray players can deliver outstanding image quality, with movies encoded in 1080p resolution and rich colors that put DVD to shame. This list consists of the best Blu-ray players on the market and the bottom line is clear--the Sony PlayStation 3 is by far the most recommendable Blu-ray player available today. There are a few caveats--the PS3 doesn't have analog multichannel outputs or an IR receptor--but they're overshadowed by the fact that you also get a high-def gaming console and media streamer. Some home theater die hards will insist on a standalone player, but everyone else should stick with the PS3 until standalones cost much less and perform comparably.
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-blu-ray...?tag=mncol;txt

not to mention the latest review from them on the PS3 (oct of this year) states the "the PS3 is STILL a superb blu-ray player".


granted there are always viable alternatives, but to flat out think the PS3 is a crappy blu-ray, when its still getting TOP reviews on its blu-ray capabilities alone, three years after it came out- is absurd....
__________________

Last edited by bmwti; 12-10-2008 at 05:22 PM.
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:17 PM   #45
bimmerchop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: CT
Posts: 11,042
My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post

lol, go ahead, enlighten me. I don't work with them everyday. Please....
The picture quality isn't bad and your comments about the menu structure, blu-ray player in the price range, and unnecessary features are all subjective, completely irrelevant. The only valid point made was the poor playback controls, which isn't even an issue for most. I'm by no means saying the PS3 is the best player to get, but the points you made to try to prove that the PS3 isn't a viable option were pretty weak
__________________
- Rich - Flickr - Stage 3+ TiAL B5 S4

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #46
bmwti
yuppie racing
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,959
My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post
I won't suggest a PS3 over a stand alone any day of the week, because frankly, if you are not used to using a gaming system, using the PS3 is a pain in the ass. The initial login, fast forward, rewind, top menu, etc.

what exactly is so complicated about popping in a disc, and pressing play on the blu-ray remote- because that is all that one really needs to do. Hell my father is videogame illeterate and has no problem using mine, when he comes over to visit.

Quote:
As for video quality, have you seen them side by side?
yes, the PS3 has outputs one of the better PQ in the market.

Quote:
Oh, and be damned if you want to incorporate a PS3 into a programmable remote. Nyko controls are absolutely terrible.
didnt I already say that previously? I agree.



And like I said before unless the person is a major audiophile, there are PLENTY of valid reasons to consider the PS3 strictly for blu-ray use.
__________________

Last edited by bmwti; 12-10-2008 at 05:23 PM.
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #47
blownE30M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego, SoCal
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwti View Post
and just to add to your point about the ONLY reason the PS3 was because it was cheaper-


here is an article that is one week old from CNET

BEST BLU-RAY players on the market-



http://reviews.cnet.com/best-blu-ray...?tag=mncol;txt

not to mention the latest review from them on the PS3 (oct of this year) states the "the PS3 is STILL a superb blu-ray player".


granted there are always viable alternatives, but to flat out think the PS3 is a crappy blu-ray, when its still getting TOP reviews on its blu-ray capabilities three years after it came out- is absurd...
I dont think you understand where I am coming from. From your quote it is still being rationalized that the PS3 is a better value because it comes with the gaming ability. Like the OP stated, he is not in it for the gaming. So with that, you would still recommend purchasing a $400 PS3 over a $200 stand alone Blu Ray player?

I understand the point you are trying to make, yes why not get the PS3 if you are into games and are shopping for a Blu Ray. Two birds, one stone, I completely agree if that is the case. What I am saying is the argument of price comparability and functionality is not applicable anymore as there are stand alone players for cheaper now with better functionality, better picture quality, and easier to use. You can argue the picture quality with me all you want, I cant prove it here unless you come to my house or come to a clients, but the others are not even debatable.
__________________


Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #48
blackbmw330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 1,017
My Ride: 2001 330ci
I hope your not getting it a Best Buy. You can get that player for much cheaper on Amazon. They just had a deal on the Samsung BD-P1500 for $150 with 8 blu-ray movies.
__________________
2001 330ci retired
blackbmw330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:30 PM   #49
bmwti
yuppie racing
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,959
My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post
I dont think you understand where I am coming from. From your quote it is still being rationalized that the PS3 is a better value because it comes with the gaming ability. Like the OP stated, he is not in it for the gaming. So with that, you would still recommend purchasing a $400 PS3 over a $200 stand alone Blu Ray player?

I understand the point you are trying to make, yes why not get the PS3 if you are into games and are shopping for a Blu Ray. Two birds, one stone, I completely agree if that is the case. What I am saying is the argument of price comparability and functionality is not applicable anymore as there are stand alone players for cheaper now with better functionality, better picture quality, and easier to use. You can argue the picture quality with me all you want, I cant prove it here unless you come to my house or come to a clients, but the others are not even debatable.

that is NOT the point I'm trying to make, from a purely blu-ray standpoint the PS3 is one of the most attractive alternatives on the market. there is nothing wrong with its video quality, it loads faster than anything else out there, has the most consistent and easily updated firmware, and is still recommended by cnet as a superb blur-ray player.

I honestly doubt the OP's brother, which I'm sure is somewhat in the generation of people on here, is incapable of navigating sony's menu, and unless he's really into the audio and has the most high end equipment there is no reason not to get the PS3.

granted if the OP only wanted to spend 250, I would say that the lower priced blu-ray players are more than capable in their own right, but if the OP is willing to shell out 400 dollars for blu-ray watching- why not get something with an internal HD-( to cut back significantly on load times), and wi-fi (to make it easier to update) etc.
__________________
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #50
bmwti
yuppie racing
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,959
My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
heres CNET's review of the PS3 supposedly terrible video playback

from a strictly blu-ray standpoint this about sums up the PS3 as a blu-ray player. both negative and positive.

Quote:
Movie watching
Since the PS3's debut, we've seen several Blu-ray players from Samsung, Panasonic, LG, and Sony itself. None of them generally perform any better than the PS3, even though they cost more (twice as much or more in some cases). HD movies look superb on the PS3, which can output video at full 1080p resolution via its HDMI 1.3 port. Audio support is also top notch as the PS3 decodes Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio soundtracks internally, outputting them as linear PCM, which should deliver impeccable lossless surround when connected to most HDMI-equipped AV receivers. Sticklers may lament the lack of "bit stream" audio output or multichannel analog connectors--if either is an issue for you, then you're in the small minority who should opt for one of those more expensive standalone Blu-ray players.

With Blu-ray having soundly defeated HD-DVD in the high-def format war (thanks, in large part, to the popularity of the PS3), all major Hollywood studios are now supporting the format, and Blu-ray releases are ramping up as the format slowly but surely becomes more prevalent. In the meantime, the PS3 also plays (and upconverts) standard DVDs (see detailed analysis). As of now, the PS3 is the only console available with the best Blu-ray player on the market. This is yet another reason to consider it not only a gaming console but a fully featured, high-def media hub that can easily compete with the Xbox 360 in terms of video quality. The PS3 will once again have its hands full when the Xbox 360 begins to offer Netflix streaming with the much anticipated November 2008 dashboard update.

Our only real complaint with the PS3's movie playback is the remote control issue. Accessing Blu-ray and DVD menus with the PS3 controller is functional, yet a bit awkward. Unfortunately, you won't be able to program a standard universal remote to control your PS3 as it lacks an infrared port. Thus, it needs to receive commands via Bluetooth. Not coincidentally, Sony offers a Bluetooth compatible remote for $25. Other options have surfaced to combat this issue, such as the Nyko Blu-Wave Infrared Remote and the USBIRX3 from Schmartz.com. But we just wish Sony would've spent a few extra pennies and added a standard infrared receiver to the console. Also, with the console now only offering two USB ports, you'll be down to one should you choose a USB IR solution.




this is enough to still make it number one on their list of blu-ray players.
__________________

Last edited by bmwti; 12-10-2008 at 05:39 PM.
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:42 PM   #51
Allure
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Anywhere in an Hour
Posts: 967
My Ride: Is Slower Than Yours
Panasonic DMP-BD35

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-6463_7-...rColumnArea1.1
Allure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #52
Bimmer330cibro
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Boz-Bank, Cali
Posts: 1,100
My Ride: AW 330ci And IR M3
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer330cibro Send a message via MSN to Bimmer330cibro
did i mention ps3?
__________________
Bimmer330cibro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #53
ghorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 400
My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer330cibro View Post
did i mention ps3?
never heard of it. plays blu-ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
thanks for the link
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:11 PM   #54
wlmmn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 595
My Ride: 02 330ci+05AudiAllro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwti View Post
if you're asking what is the best option for blu-ray use and you're willing to spend $400. The PS3 is the BEST option. forget about it being a gaming system, compared to the other two- it loads the disk much faster, and always updates to the correct firmware easily as new features are added. The profile 2.0 requires an internet connection to take full advantage of, and the PS3 is WiFi, also making things much easier.

Its absurd not to consider the PS3. At that price point, its the better option as a blu-ray player, and not getting them one, is providing them with a lesser product. Just buy them the remote too, since we're supposed to assume they dont have "opposable thumbs".

Pop in a disc, click play on the remote- they dont even have to know about its other features.
There was a salesman at Ultimate Electronics that was trying to tell me that the PS3 isn't a good Blu-Ray player because it sends all the audio out PCM, instead of sending the audio out bitstream. Basically he was saying that the PS3 does the decoding instead of your home theater receiver, and his claim was that a receiver is going to "decode" the audio tracks better than letting the PS3 do it.


Thoughts, anyone?
__________________
wlmmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:15 PM   #55
bmwti
yuppie racing
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: dirty jerz
Posts: 1,959
My Ride: 2008 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlmmn View Post
There was a salesman at Ultimate Electronics that was trying to tell me that the PS3 isn't a good Blu-Ray player because it sends all the audio out PCM, instead of sending the audio out bitstream. Basically he was saying that the PS3 does the decoding instead of your home theater receiver, and his claim was that a receiver is going to "decode" the audio tracks better than letting the PS3 do it.


Thoughts, anyone?
I sorta braised on this topic, if you look earlier in this thread. But to go in detail-

first to say the PS3 is NOT capable of bitstreaming is complete BS!

It does in fact bitstream. However the PS3 is only capable of bitstreaming the most common formats like DTS and dolby digital. The newer formats (DTS HD MA or Dolby TruHD) are the ones the PS3 cant bitstream rather it sent via PCM to your reciever. Since the PS3 is capable of supporting the new formats its decodes them internally rather than through your receiver.

so what does this mean??

-It means the PS3 is capable of handling all the current formats.

-it means that the little DTS HD MA light wont appear on your receiver even though its being played in that format. (but really who cares?? )

What else does this mean??- from my understanding if the receiver's decoder is worst than the PS3's you're not missing out on anything. Of the ones that have a better decoder, a really serious audiophile *might notice a slight difference.

Regardless-

-the majority of people dont even have receivers capable of supporting the new formats anyway. So this whole point means null.

-the majority of blu-ray movies don't support the newer formats anyway, as only a select few have been graced with the better sound- since the studios seem to be lazy in adding this track to the majority of their BR discs.


__________________

Last edited by bmwti; 12-10-2008 at 08:17 PM.
bmwti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:05 PM   #56
Raymond42262
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 453
My Ride: Is German
I read an article a week or so ago and the author thought that Blu Ray may have stalled its growth because producers thought that the licensing was too expensive and that if you had a dvd player with good up converting qualities that the picture was as good as blue ray. But the producers did not have to pay a licensing fee to sony and the players are much cheaper too. He thought that Blue ray might be a flash in the pan like the old laser discs and current cd's.
Has anybody else heard that it might be on its way out ? Or was this one man's idea?
Raymond42262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:51 PM   #57
blownE30M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Diego, SoCal
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
I read an article a week or so ago and the author thought that Blu Ray may have stalled its growth because producers thought that the licensing was too expensive and that if you had a dvd player with good up converting qualities that the picture was as good as blue ray. But the producers did not have to pay a licensing fee to sony and the players are much cheaper too. He thought that Blue ray might be a flash in the pan like the old laser discs and current cd's.
Has anybody else heard that it might be on its way out ? Or was this one man's idea?
Blu Ray is the new format. It is not dead or dying. Not only can it support the higher resolutions out now and yet to come it can support Deep Color which is the next big 'thing'.
__________________


Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #58
The Jerk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: In my $28mil armchair, smokin a cigar...
Posts: 507
My Ride: E46 M3
Guys, he doesn't want a PS3!

Jeesh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbmw330 View Post
Amazon. They just had a deal on the Samsung BD-P1500 for $150 with 8 blu-ray movies.
And if that deal is gone, there are plenty around the internet to be found. Ditch the Sony badge & save yourself $150
The Jerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #59
ghorn
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: L.A.
Posts: 400
My Ride: 330ci
^ lol.

Great debate, gentlemen. Helpful and informative.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:46 AM   #60
James330I
Imported Redneck
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 881
My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond42262 View Post
I read an article a week or so ago and the author thought that Blu Ray may have stalled its growth because producers thought that the licensing was too expensive and that if you had a dvd player with good up converting qualities that the picture was as good as blue ray. But the producers did not have to pay a licensing fee to sony and the players are much cheaper too. He thought that Blue ray might be a flash in the pan like the old laser discs and current cd's.
Has anybody else heard that it might be on its way out ? Or was this one man's idea?
upconversion can never equal the real thing. you can interpolate data as much as you can, but at the end of the day, it's hard to create HD data that was never there......

With the number of new bd players coming out and more and more bd titles being released, it's a starting to look alot like early days of dvd....
__________________
------------------------





2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use