E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:17 AM   #1
bokchoy

My Ride: 2004 330cic ZHP
ZHP vs. M3 Wheel Fitment

Wondering if anyone can educate me on what exactly is the difference with wheel fitments between a ZHP and an M3? I recently joined this forum after I purchased a 2004 330CIC ZHP and am thinking about purchasing new wheels as I have put winter tires on my ZHP wheels. I've noticed a lot of wheels in the classified section indicating they are fitted for the M3 and I was wondering what exactly is the difference in the wheel fitment of a ZHP vs. an M3.

If I buy "M3 fitted" wheels for a ZHP, will I have any issues?

Thanks.
bokchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:23 AM   #2
SteelGray3

My Ride: 2003 slicktop LSB M3
Yes, you will have issues. A wheel has something called offset, the lower the number the further the wheel sits out from the hub. m3's have wider fenders and therefore can have wheels with lower offsets.

hope that helps!
Old 12-11-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
simsima325
'a certain moderator'

My Ride: Honda Civic
a ZHP has the same fitments as any other non-M E46.

the same.

its a 330.

M3 offsets are completely different.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:40 AM   #4
Chris@ModBargains
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 325Ci
With M3 offsets you will have major rubbing on the rear fenders. You should get wheels that come in a non-M fitment with a more conservative offset.

I'd be happy to help you pick out a set of wheels. Are you looking for 18s or 19s? Do you want a lip or mesh design like the CSLs?
Chris@ModBargains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #5
Pnltybox

My Ride: 2003 325i
Send a message via Yahoo to Pnltybox
Also on top of the different offset M3 rears are 9" wide where ZHP wheels are only 8.5". Your best bet if you want to run M3 wheels is try to find two pairs of front wheels, only 8" wide so they will fit all the way around plus you will be able to rotate them when the time comes, better tire wear FTW!
Old 12-11-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
Chris@ModBargains
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnltybox View Post
Also on top of the different offset M3 rears are 9" wide where ZHP wheels are only 8.5". Your best bet if you want to run M3 wheels is try to find two pairs of front wheels, only 8" wide so they will fit all the way around plus you will be able to rotate them when the time comes, better tire wear FTW!
All 330s with a sport package including ZHPs have a staggered fitments just like M3s do. A 9" rear wheel will fit perfectly. Most users run a staggered fitment regardless.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:20 AM   #7
bokchoy

My Ride: 2004 330cic ZHP
Thanks all for your input, now I know I need to make sure I specify "non-M" wheels. Another question, should I be looking at 19's or stay with 18's? And if 19, what are the optimal tire sizes?
bokchoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
Pnltybox

My Ride: 2003 325i
Send a message via Yahoo to Pnltybox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@ModBargains View Post
All 330s with a sport package including ZHPs have a staggered fitments just like M3s do. A 9" rear wheel will fit perfectly. Most users run a staggered fitment regardless.
I understand a 9" inch wheel with the correct offset will fit (barely) I was just letting him know if he wanted to run wheels from a M3 what he would need to do.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:36 PM   #9
Chris@ModBargains
Past Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnltybox View Post
I understand a 9" inch wheel with the correct offset will fit (barely) I was just letting him know if he wanted to run wheels from a M3 what he would need to do.
Gotcha
Old 01-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #10
titog

My Ride: 03 ZHP
sorry to bump an older thread, but will rolling/slight pull on the fenders allow a ZHP owner to fit M3 Fitment wheels? how will the front m wheels fit into the zhp platform? it sounds like nothing a roll and slight pull couldn't fix? what are the offsets between the two (i'm sure i could search to find out. but hey, doesn't hurt to ask)
Old 01-14-2009, 04:56 AM   #11
AnooooOH

My Ride: 130i
Send a message via ICQ to AnooooOH
Quote:
Originally Posted by titog View Post
sorry to bump an older thread, but will rolling/slight pull on the fenders allow a ZHP owner to fit M3 Fitment wheels? how will the front m wheels fit into the zhp platform? it sounds like nothing a roll and slight pull couldn't fix? what are the offsets between the two (i'm sure i could search to find out. but hey, doesn't hurt to ask)
rolling the fenders won`t be enough.
you`ll have to pull them.
a slight pull will not be enough too...

Philipp
AnooooOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
kelvin@vortextuning.com
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP
M3 rear wheels have a much lower offset. They will stick out of the rear fenders big time.
kelvin@vortextuning.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:14 AM   #13
lvblkjack

My Ride: 99-Spec FD, 05 ZHP
Sorry for bumping this, but I searched and couldn't find an answer.

Can anyone tell me what's the best (aggressive) offset and tire size for a 19's setup on a stock 330i ZHP?

Thanks in advance
lvblkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:26 AM   #14
SpoiledBrat

My Ride: 330Ci zhp
What ever is the most aggressive offset that fits on a 330i. Coupe's have more space than sedans I believe, so when your researching, make sure to differentiate the two.
SpoiledBrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #15
BusaNoob

My Ride: AW 06 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvblkjack View Post

Can anyone tell me what's the best (aggressive) offset and tire size for a 19's setup on a stock 330i ZHP?

Thanks in advance
depends on if you plan to lower the car and how much youre willing to do to make it work
BusaNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
lvblkjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusaNoob View Post
depends on if you plan to lower the car and how much youre willing to do to make it work
I don't plan on lowering, and would prefer minimal work involved.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 2002 AW 325ci
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvblkjack View Post

Thanks in advance
If you're planning on leaving it stock you could run a 19x8.5 ET35 front with a 235/35/19 tire, and a 19x9.5 ET45 rear with a 255/30/19 rear. If you went more aggressive with either the offset but the tire size stayed the same, or more aggressive with the tire size but the offset remained the same, you could have rubbing. We generally recommend running square fitment for sedans though, so a 19x8.5 ET35 with a 235/35/19 would be ideal all the way around.

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #18
lvblkjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
If you're planning on leaving it stock you could run a 19x8.5 ET35 front with a 235/35/19 tire, and a 19x9.5 ET45 rear with a 255/30/19 rear. If you went more aggressive with either the offset but the tire size stayed the same, or more aggressive with the tire size but the offset remained the same, you could have rubbing. We generally recommend running square fitment for sedans though, so a 19x8.5 ET35 with a 235/35/19 would be ideal all the way around.
Thanks for the clear response! Extremely helpful

Now if you don't mind me asking another question, why do you guys recommend square setup for sedans?