E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:37 PM   #1
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Just did the VANOS Seals & Valve Cover Gasket - Seals VIDEO Incld.

Took me 6 hours total. VERY Easy DIY, specially when you have the proper tools. Needless to write a DIY since the guide in beisansystems.com is more than enough. I took a short video of the intake cylinder piston.

Engine: M54B22
Mileage: 55000
Oil Used since New: Mobil 1 0W40 Chaged every 6500miles

As you can see the piston is very loose in the cylinder. And I don't even have the cold start issues etc.

And Absolutely no Sludge!!

When I finished I started the engine and it fired immediately. Now doing the break-in (300 miles city driving)

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #2
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
nice looks clean!, i even cleaned the intake manifold!

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:43 PM   #3
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
bump for later!!!
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #4
vimal32

My Ride: BMW E46 320i
This looks so clean and easy.
THanks for the great pics, now i finally know what the inside of my engine should look like.
vimal32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 03:25 PM   #5
JZMC

My Ride: 01 330i
I am still waiting for my Seals to arrive. Gonna tackle it before christmas for sure.
JZMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
Thanks for the video.
This is how all the vanos units are. That seal is supposed to hold 60 psi oil pressure. This oil pressure is needed to manipulate the position of the piston which is mounted to the helical shaft which controls the variable valve timing adjustment. Due to the failing seals the oil leaks and the piston and variable valve timing can't be positioned correctly. Replacing the seals allows the vanos to function properly and for the variable valve timing system to function properly. This introduces significant performance improvements and an increase in gas mileage by ~3 MPG.

Last edited by Rajaie; 12-11-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:36 AM   #7
paraklas

There's no way that seals would hold 60psi. The exhaust side was just like the intake.
I've Just done 100miles city driving. Engine does run smoother than before and there's a bit more low-end torgue. One (probably stupid) question: Is there a chance that the weakened/failed VANOS seals to affect the engine's redline? Not to increase redline of course but to prevent engine from reaching it.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:04 AM   #8
alibusoul

My Ride: TiAg e46 Vert
wow i really need to do this.. i have my valve cover and im doing this wknd.. my valve gasket is SO bad that i can see spots of oil on my headlights etc from being spit out. its really bad.

Im scared to do the vanos.. how easy is it paraklas?
alibusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 AM   #9
paraklas

I had my laptop next to me with the guide from beisansystems, nothing else is needed information wise. Trust me it's much easier than it looks. Just make sure you have all the proper tools (torgue wrench is a must) which are listed in the guide. Once you get the valve cover out of the engine it's a matter of a couple of nuts/bolts to have the VANOS dissasembled. Took me 6 hours which included breakfast & lunch break and I was working very slowly. The only "difficult" thing was to torgue the lower left bolt of the valve cover gasket.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:16 AM   #10
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
I don't believe leaking piston seals would have any noticeable effect on redline. The pressure on one side of the piston would be at maximum. A small leak would not dissipate this pressure fast enough to cause the piston to be incorrectly positioned. However this would not be true in low RPM where the pressures on both sides of the piston are fairly close. Therefore, a leak would have maximum detrimental impact on the position of the piston.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:44 AM   #11
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 330ci
Great! Looks like I'll be tackling both of these jobs at the same time as well.
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 04:12 AM   #12
paraklas

More pics from yesterday..

Laptop with the guide from beisansystems & music. 1/2" torx set

RTV Silicone, valve cover gasket, VANOS seals, torque wrench, 2 VANOS bolts, 2 VANOS oil supply seals, VANOS gasket

My wrench had a range from 20-100 Nm so I got another one starting from 10Nm as well.

Ramps to allow removal of lower splash shield just in case I dropped a nut or something

Engine before surgery

Leak point

Engine cover off.

Removal of ground wire - Don't forget to place it back afterwards or you will experience missfires

Coils out

Pry and lift coil wires out of the way as well as O2 wirings.

8mm, 10mm, 11mm, 13mm 1/2" bits with U-joint & extension to access difficult spots

Fan out. 1 Torx screw, 2 connectors, 1 push/lock pin. Slides out!

Oil recirculation hose disconnected

15 valve cover bolts removed. 11 @ perimeter and 4 in the centre next to spark plugs

With some extra force, valve cover is removed. Thankfully no sludge. Engine is crystal clean

Timing chain & VANOS unit

8mm allen key needed for the 2 VANOS cover bolts

13mm for the upper engine hoist mount and 10mm for the lower one. Rotate and remove

Disconnect exhaust camshaft plug and exhaust solenoid plug

19mm wrench for VANOS oil supply hose. The 2 seals were discarded and replaced with new ones. Also Intake solenoid plug and thermostat plug disconnected.

Once the hoist is removed, plugs disconnected, 2 VANOS (8mm Allen) bolts removed, 6 nuts (10mm) at lower part removed, oil supply disconnected (19mm), 2 VANOS seals plugs removed (Long nose pliers), 2 Torx (reverse threaded) internal VANOS bolts removed, VANOS unit can slide out. Gasket around VANOS unit was replaced as well. Although no physical damage, I noticed that the ($5.00) new gasket was not completely flat, which means it would adapt its shape once torqued down.

VANOS out of the engine and on table with plenty of rags to catch trapped oil.

New seals soaking for 2 minutes in warm water to probably soften them, as per beisan instructions

5 bolts for intake and 4 bolts for exhaust pistons removed and finally the pistons are out and ready for the new seals

With a razor knife I cut the old seals, cleaned everything, applied some motor oil and inserted the new seals in place.

I inserted the piston with the new seals in the cylinder for 2 minutes to allow seals to shrink to proper size, removed and repeated the same for the other cylinder. I verified that the seals were correctly seated and reinstalled both covers. I initially screwed each bolt with hand and then torqued to 10Nm in a cross formation. After both caps were in place, I re-checked all bolts to be torqued down to specs before reversing the entire procedure for re-install.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:39 PM   #13
hakjai

My Ride: 04' 330ci, 95' M3
Awesome write up! I just followed the links you provided and ordered all the parts from beisan and tischer today. I can't wait to get rid of the cold start issues and hesitation when i accelerate. (more key words for searches )
hakjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
supratter

My Ride: 2001 330i
in for later
supratter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:05 AM   #15
hakjai

My Ride: 04' 330ci, 95' M3
Cross-checking the beisan instructions with your awesome pictures and its been smooth sailing so far...almost. I have the vanos unit off the car and plan to replace the seals tomorrow when its a bit warmer and brighter. The only problem I had was I broke the driver side clip that holds the fan in place. I've removed this before but I guess over the years the plastic got a little brittle. I also got some oil on my belts but nothing major. Thanks for the detailed write-up and pictures. I hope to join the beisan club by tomorrow.
hakjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:39 AM   #16
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
just a quick question i just thought of:

are these beisan seals supposed to last longer than the oem ones?

oh and, mobil 1 0w-40 ftw.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:04 AM   #17
Rajaie

My Ride: 528i 06/00
The Beisan seals should last the life of the car and more. We've checked them at 15k miles and they are new.
Rajaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:57 AM   #18
Whammy

My Ride: ZHP
great thread! Thank you very much!
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #19
kataE46

My Ride: 2001 E46
can anyone help me figure out the name for this bolt where the valve cover nut connects on top of the engine head. Apparently during my installation I applied to much torque and snapped of the top of the bolt. I can't seem to find a place to order it from, maybe because I am searching for the wrong name. Thanks
Old 01-12-2011, 07:04 PM   #20
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
This there any difference in removing the fan on a manual or automatic? If so can anyone point me in the right direction an automatic? When I replaced my power steering pump it was a PITA to get around.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote