E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 11:27 AM   #1
m3604

My Ride: Vancouver
M3 E46 - Low RPM engine rattle - Any ideas?

Year: 2001 M3 E46 (Stock)
48,000kms
6spd Manual Transmission
Oil change done every 6000kms
Use 91 Octane fuel

I am experiencing some engine rattle noise at low RPMs. The sound is like metal vibration or tapping noise and it sounds like something is loose when accelerating.

I've noticed when driving at a constant speed with the RPMs around 2000 in any of the gears for example in 3rd or 4th gear around 50 -60 km/hour and you apply the gas quickly there is a metal rattle noise until you reach 3000 RPM or more.

The sound is not apparent if the revs are higher than 3000 RPM and applying the gas quickly and shifting at a higher RPM range.

The sound is minimal if the gas is applied slowly from 2000 RPM and allowing the RPM to climb slowly.

The M3ís are a higher revving engine but with acceleration at cruising speeds and low RPMS shouldnít make such a noise? Should it?

Iíve had it checked out briefly during an oil change and the mechanic did not notice anything loose. He said it is common with vehicles in general having the engine noise because too much fuel is being applied so the engine is lagging or choking if in a higher gear and low speeds.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
m3604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:22 AM   #2
Tiago

My Ride: M3 e46
I had two diferent issues that made that a lower rpm ratling:

1. The exhaust that was touching the chassis. Quick fix.

2. Broken crankshaft bolts. Major rebuild (new crank with main bearings, rod bearings, crank bolts, new set of engine gaskets and lots of labour hours).

ESS VT2-550 / AEM WMI / Supersprint Race System / 3.91 Diff / Stoptech ST60 and ST40 / Bilstein PSS9 / UUC Sways
CLICK HERE FOR PICS OF MY CAR
Tiago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:00 AM   #3
Mirko

My Ride: Your girlfriend :)
How many KM you have on the car? Has it started recently with the cold weather? Once the car warms up does it get better or worse?

Could be the oil being too thin to lubricate properly. Might need an oil change or an oil viscosity better suited to a colder temp.

Search Dr.Vanos on youtube for videos to see if that is the same sound. Not sure if there is a vanos kit for e46 but I know there is for E36. Best of luck
Mirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Timing chain tensioner is also a possibility.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #5
m3604

Thanks for your replies.

I ended up bringing the car to the BMW dealership and went for a road test and showed him how accelerating at low RPM's made a rattle noise. He referred to it as pinging because of premature detonation and low octane fuel.

He recommended filling up with 94 Octane from Chevron or Shell as 94 is the highest at conventional gas stations here. I've owned the vehicle since September and not sure how the vehicle was driven or what Octane fuel was used previously. The car has 48,000kms and was purchased with 42,000kms. Don't believe it started with the cold weather and doesn't make a difference if the car warms up either.

I'll start filling up with 94 Octane as suggested for a month to see if the noise goes away. Also recommended from the dealership and an independant BMW Mechanic was to do a carbon clean. Both don't believe there is any metal shields or piping that is loose.

I can't remember if this noise was apparent when I first purchased the vehicle as I've never had a BMW before so any noise or how it's driven is a learning curve.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #6
zwede

My Ride: 2005 M3
My '05 developed a metallic rattling at low rpm, mostly at idle. It made the noise for a few months and then the alternator went out. With the new alternator the noise is gone so it was the alternator. Just another possibility for you.
zwede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:43 PM   #7
m3604

Turns out that the fuel octane did the trick in eliminating the low rpm rattle noise.

Started filling up with 94 Octane at Chevron.
Old 10-20-2009, 02:31 AM   #8
mr_bmw_m3

My Ride: M3 BABY...!
Im running 98 octane BP in mine and I have the same problem...
Matte Black CSL Rims; CSL Front Bumper, CSL Boot, CSL Diffuser, KW Variant 3 Coilovers;Interior LED Lighting Kit;BMW Predator Chromium Angel Eyes;Axxis Ultimate Brake Pads; SMG Paddles Carbon Fiber, SMG Dome Carbon Fibre, Kidney Grills Carbon Fibre, Kamei Eyelids Eyebrows; Clear and Smoked Turn Signal Lenses;Rogue Engineering Rear Shock Mounts, RE Front and Rear Bushes, RE Midpip w\EVC, Remus Muffler, Ambulance tint all round...

mr_bmw_m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 03:11 AM   #9
fleix

My Ride: ///M
Same to me. 98octane.
Rattle under load 2000-3000 rpm
Changed vanos - no result
Changes timing chain and tensioners - no result.

Could it be DISA valve?
Old 10-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Sadly we don't have a disa valve.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:53 AM   #11
Boostin FD

My Ride: M3
I get the same noise... not sure what it could be... but it feels like it's coming from drivers side engine bay area...
Boostin FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
I have the same noise but always associated it with the AA 12 pound flywheel and clutch because this noise is just like the same noise I got using many aftermarket flywheel and clutch combos for my other e46.

If you can rev a lil more, be in the "right" gear a little more and less bogging, I can eliminate the gear rattle. I was just telling a friend that was test driving my car and beating it up to pulp with rev matching into 2nd and alot of jamming the stick and punching on the gas and quick shifting to 4th and gassing on the streets..(he really beat it up his first time in it and I let him)

the m3 and all its performance characteristic work you its hard to work it without getting by some of those little bothersome noise.

its transmission related like flywheel and clutch..or we all have bad vanos which I doubt.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:44 PM   #13
daverave

My Ride: M3 E46
Got M3 E46 and have the same problem probably.

That annoying rattle is pretty noticeable at
0:21
0:47
2:03

Could it be "engine pinging" issue? (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=325261)

daverave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:56 AM   #14
m3 kay

My Ride: m3 e46
yes thats it in that video it is pinging and the only way to cure it is by remapping the car...... dont know why they do it and some dont but a big handfull of e46 m3 do.....
m3 kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:16 AM   #15
fleix

Sorry- what does it means remapping the car ?
I have the same issues
Old 12-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #16
daverave

My Ride: M3 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3 kay View Post
yes thats it in that video it is pinging and the only way to cure it is by remapping the car...... dont know why they do it and some dont but a big handfull of e46 m3 do.....
I think he means reset or reflash the ECU to defaults. Btw - anybody knows the trick how to reset the ECU to factory defaults?
daverave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:00 AM   #17
m3 kay

My Ride: m3 e46
yes simalar but mapping the fault out. Any good performance centre will be able to remap your car if they have ecutec software..... we simply put the car on the dyno and mapped the car with a little more fuel and a little less ignition we found the car to run much smoother and the anoying little rattle gone.... and on the plus side if the car has exhaust and performance filter when it is mapped you will get good bhp gains.... sory for the late reply....
m3 kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #18
Rollin330i

My Ride: Supercharged M3
open your hood while the car is running...if the noise is coming from the left part of your engine it is vanos failure and most likely one or both internal metal clips broke off and are making the noise.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:11 PM   #19
fleix

Noise is only under load