E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 07:06 PM   #41
jrcarter_2000

My Ride: 323i
can't get the #@*& bottom hoses disconnected from the expansion tank to get the thing to lift out
jrcarter_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #42
jrcarter_2000

ok got the tank out BUT the connection with the spring at the bottom was chipped and I can't get the cap on the top of the spring to click back on
jrcarter_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:03 AM   #43
jabast09

My Ride: 330ci, 9114S
you probably broke the thermostat

Dude, I just received a new thermostat and that's the only piece that you'll need to change. GIven your description I think that if you replace the thermostat you'll be ok.
jabast09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:37 AM   #44
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcarter_2000 View Post
ok got the tank out BUT the connection with the spring at the bottom was chipped and I can't get the cap on the top of the spring to click back on
You mean the grooves on the lower hose where the spring slides through are chipped and can't secure the expansion tank on them>?
Did you manage to fix this issue?
Old 01-15-2009, 12:43 AM   #45
jabast09

Paraklas, my bad. I misunderstood. I was refering to the thermostat housing, which was my problem....that was fixed by swapping it. When it comes to the hose, I did not experience that issue at all...
Old 01-25-2009, 02:43 PM   #46
jpainter187

My Ride: '99 E46
Lots of good pics! I haven't driven my '99 323i in awhile because I noticed it overheating a few weeks back w/ plenty of coolant. So I think I'll replace the thermostat and bleed the coolant system before trying anything else... Hope it works!
jpainter187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:32 PM   #47
xxenycejattxx

My Ride: 330i 600RR
Question coolant leaking!!

I been changing the coolant evry 4-5 days....seems like a big problem.cant figure it out.its been 2 weeks.what you guys think the problem could b??thanks

xxenycejattxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:06 PM   #48
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
One thing I always wonder, why the automatic has a mechanical fan? Meanwhile the manual has an electric fan. Has anyone converted from mechanical to electric successfully?

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:38 AM   #49
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxenycejattxx View Post
I been changing the coolant evry 4-5 days....seems like a big problem.cant figure it out.its been 2 weeks.what you guys think the problem could b??thanks
Check for visible leaks obviously, also check the dipstick for any mayo like substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Dude Xi View Post
One thing I always wonder, why the automatic has a mechanical fan? Meanwhile the manual has an electric fan. Has anyone converted from mechanical to electric successfully?
No idea why but you can convert to electric, it's been done several times, there's even a conversion kit iirc selling in bimmerworld?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #50
Bimmer Dude Xi

My Ride: 03 325XI 07 ZX-6R
Send a message via AIM to Bimmer Dude Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
No idea why but you can convert to electric, it's been done several times, there's even a conversion kit iirc selling in bimmerworld?
I checked in bimmerworld, their isn't any conversion kit in the cooling section. If you have the direct link, please post it, thanks.

|Dinan High Flow Air Box|Eibach Pro Kit|Koni Sport|UUC Strut Barbarian|UUC TSE3|UUC Underdrive Pulleys|18" VMR V710|

|BMC Race Air Filter|CRG Spectrum Levers| Galfer Steel Braided Brake Lines|Volar Motorsport Spiked Frame & Bar-end Sliders|
Bimmer Dude Xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #51
jpainter187

After doing a little looking under the hood I found out why my car was over heating. Can anyone tell me where I can buy this part? Also, I went ahead and took the two quick release U hooks off but still can't figure out how to pop it off. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-26-2009, 07:52 PM   #52
reynaldo

My Ride: 2001 325i Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to reynaldo
ust replace the upper rad hose. DOnt about replacing only that part
reynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:15 PM   #53
jpainter187

Quote:
Originally Posted by reynaldo View Post
ust replace the upper rad hose. DOnt about replacing only that part
K... That didn't really make sense, but I was able to find the part # for the upper radiator hose. I'll call around and see if any auto parts stores around here can get me one.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:18 PM   #54
jabast09

Try ECS Tuning..

www.ecstuning.com - they have parts at good prices...good luck.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #55
jpainter187

Cool, thanks!

And I read that the upper radiator hose is a common fail point on the E46. Is it the same will all the radiator hoses?
Old 01-27-2009, 04:27 AM   #56
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpainter187 View Post
After doing a little looking under the hood I found out why my car was over heating. Can anyone tell me where I can buy this part? Also, I went ahead and took the two quick release U hooks off but still can't figure out how to pop it off. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Spray some WD40 at the connection of the plastic hose to the radiator, let it sit for a few minutes and then gently pull the broken plastic out.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #57
jpainter187

Thanks paraklas!

I'm going to go ahead and order everything I need for a cooling system overhaul. But is it really necessary to get a new radiator cap (P/N 17111742231)?

Also, I'm trying to think of any other parts that I should go ahead and order while I'm at it that are prone to fail or need to be replaced regularly... Like a new micro carbon filter (don't know when it was replaced last), or some Liqui Moly for my next oil change (dunno if it's worth the $15 or not)... Any input would be helpful. Thanks guys!

Last edited by jpainter187; 01-27-2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #58
jpainter187

I got the upper radiator hose along with all the other coolant system parts delivered today. Since I'm short on time I only replaced the upper radiator hose to see if that fixed the overheating problem, which it did. When I get a chance I'm going to change all the other coolant parts, change the oil, etc. etc. I don't plan to drive the car until I can get all of this done...

But one thing that I noticed as soon as I started the car to let it warm up was a distinct "thunking" noise. I got my head closer to the engine to listen and it sounds like its coming somewhere on the left side of the engine, underneath the oil filler cap. Like I said before, I caught the overheating problem immediately and slowly drove about 30 seconds until I could pull into a parking lot. Was that short drive 30 seconds too long??? And by the description of the noise does it sound like I f*cked something else up?
Old 02-16-2009, 04:39 PM   #59
paraklas

Mini update, after 3000 miles, the WP is as quiet as day 1, no ticking or anything unusual as it was reported in some other thread
Old 02-17-2009, 12:58 PM   #60
msgmkr

Nice writeup. I just flushed my system, replaced my pulleys and belts. I am due for a new stat and water pump also. 111k on the clock!
msgmkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, expansion, stewart, tensioner, water pump