E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
kaotek323i

My Ride: red 1999 323i
harness bar

hey guys. i have a e46 sedan and i am getting some black alcantara status seats for xmas and i might get some 4 or 5 point harnesses for them but i cant find someone that makes a bolt in harness bar.. or is there another way to mount them without removing the rear seats? its my daily driver/weekend warrior but i only get out a few times a year
VF stage1, v2 compressor w/ v1 internals, ebay headers
kaotek323i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Check Sparco's harness bar. I know they mak E36 harness bars but im not sure about E46.

-Charles@VMRWheels
www.vmrwheels.com

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
New for 2014: V702 Multispoke | V810 Flow Form
VMRWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 05:09 PM   #3
kaotek323i

ya ive seen those.. will those fit?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:21 PM   #4
VMRWheels
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotek323i View Post
Its best to email them.

-Charles@VMRWheels
www.vmrwheels.com

Old 12-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #5
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Check Sparco's harness bar. I know they mak E36 harness bars but im not sure about E46.

-Charles@VMRWheels
www.vmrwheels.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotek323i View Post
When I first began doing track mods, I considered one of these bars. After many convos with Sparco reps, they said that they decided they were not going to make a harness bar for the E46 because there would be no easy way to install it, at least without modifying the B Pillar cover. The said that the reason is that, like the E36, they wanted it to be a direct bolt-on part. In order to even install it on the E46, you would have to remove the B Pillar cover, which in itself requires the rear lateral panel to be removed (which requires the rear seats to be removed)...then, you'd have to modify the Pillar cover so that the bar could bolt up. In the E36, the seat belt bolt was exposed already so you had somewhere to bolt up the bar from the get-go. Do you see where I'm going with this?

Ultimately, I just bought a full 4pt. roll bar from Kirk Racing because harnesses really shouldn't be used without full roll-over protection.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
VMRWheels
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTWeisse View Post
Ultimately, I just bought a full 4pt. roll bar from Kirk Racing because harnesses really shouldn't be used without full roll-over protection.
Indeed. A harness should not be used without roll over protection. Looking to Auto Power or Kirk Racing.

-Charles@VMRWheels
www.vmrwheels.com

Old 12-23-2008, 11:52 PM   #7
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
I think these are the easiest solution. http://www.soloracer.com/e46rallye4.html

There is also a Quickfit Pro version that uses a camlock instead of the buckle but it costs a little more.

Last edited by elite53; 12-23-2008 at 11:55 PM.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
GrayGhost

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
I think these are the easiest solution. http://www.soloracer.com/e46rallye4.html

There is also a Quickfit Pro version that uses a camlock instead of the buckle but it costs a little more.
That is what I use and I really like them. For someone like me who does 3 or 4 DEs a year, it is great. They absolutely hold me into the seat much better than the stock seatbelts but without needing a full rollbar/cage. Yes, I realize some people say you shouldn't use a harness without a bar/cage, but I think the additional security of the harness is worth it. I always offer my instructor the option of using the harness or the standard belts, and they always choose the harness. In 11 DEs (22 track days) I've seen one car that rolled, an E46 M3, and the roof on it was very intact afterwards, although the almost new car was probably totaled.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:13 PM   #9
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
Is it mandatory to have one for the instructor? I thought I read somewhere that both seats are supposed to be the same at BMWCCA HPDE's but I don't remember anything being specified for restraints. At around $250 a pop it would be nice if I could just get one.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #10
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Yes they're supposed to have equal restraints.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #11
GrayGhost

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Yes, at most (if not all) BMWCCA track events you have to provide equal restraints for driver and instructor, so I have the harness available for the instructor. If the instructor prefers to not use the harness in a car without a full roll bar/cage, it takes about 2 minutes to remove it and I have still met the requirements since I offered the same restraints. Of the 5 DEs I've done with the harnesses, the instructors have always preferred using them, roll bar/cage or not.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #12
kaotek323i

thanks guys. i think those will probably work for me..