E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Home Improvement

Home Improvement
Home Improvement ideas, help, DIYs, and show room. Got a home improvement project you need help with or want to share. Post your project now!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 AM   #1
pimpn04coupe
Registered User
 
pimpn04coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Home of the Lakers and Trojans
Posts: 2,945
My Ride: some hooptie
Need suggestion for a high end preamp/receiver... Hopefully Around $2k

Hey guys, I know there are a few pros on here that can provide some insight.. I am not familiar at all with the preamp/receiver market in this range. I am replacing the preamp in my family's theater... The whole theater has high end components, but now the receiver/preamp is holding the theater back because its quite outdated. It sounds fantastic now, but we really want to take advantage of the new sound codecs/features/technology (and of course running hdmi so that we can run a blu ray) and we want to redo all the wiring which will be much easier with a new preamp and running everything through hdmi and just one dvi cable to the projector (the projector only has dvi/component inputs so I will run a hdmi --> dvi adapter from the receiver).

Here is some components from my theater:
-Sunfire Theater Grand Processor
-Sunfire Cinema Grand Amplifier
-Infocus Projector (don't have the model number handy)
-Stewart 110" Screen
-B&W Nautilus 805 Fronts
-B&W Nautilus HTM2 Center
-B&W CDMI S.E. Surrounds
-Paradigm Reference Servo-15 Sub

The amplifer is fantastic- and its really powerful, so I don't think we will be changing that. This is good because now more money can be dedicated just to a preamp.

Which ones would you suggest? I would love some suggestions from the "higher end" brands. I am familiar with the more mainstream brands, the models from there that fit into the price range were : onkyo 906, denon 4308ci, pioneer sc-07... I also saw the marantz 8003, which I like because its a dedicated preamp...


Any suggestions would be great!
pimpn04coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:58 AM   #2
howie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 954
Posts: 2,988
My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
Yamaha if u wanna spend a lot but for an excellent product!

Bargain would be like an onkyo 806 or higher.

I would suggest to wait a few months untill they rollover/introduce new product!
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:38 AM   #3
pimpn04coupe
Registered User
 
pimpn04coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Home of the Lakers and Trojans
Posts: 2,945
My Ride: some hooptie
Quote:
Originally Posted by howie View Post
Yamaha if u wanna spend a lot but for an excellent product!

Bargain would be like an onkyo 806 or higher.

I would suggest to wait a few months untill they rollover/introduce new product!
I actually have the 806 in my living room, great amp, but i definitely want something more on par with the rest of the equipment in that theater... i dont think anything by onkyo is going to cut it... the 906 doesnt seem to be on the same level as the units offered by rotel, b&k, nad, sunfire, etc
pimpn04coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:43 AM   #4
howie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 954
Posts: 2,988
My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
this is true...I'm kinda biased toward Onkyo
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:46 AM   #5
Owtlaw333
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 7,609
My Ride: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3 GT
Would Marantz be outta your price range?
__________________
Bringing it back for the new people...

productionof1.com
|||_Buy my photos?_|||
Owtlaw333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:20 AM   #6
pimpn04coupe
Registered User
 
pimpn04coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Home of the Lakers and Trojans
Posts: 2,945
My Ride: some hooptie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
Would Marantz be outta your price range?
I was actually looking at the 8003.... thats the only preamp marantz makes... there are plenty of dealers that sell it for much less than retail, so its def in my price range...
pimpn04coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:11 AM   #7
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,968
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
I switched out my Sherbourn preamp for a Marantz SR7002 and got a dramatic improvement on my Cinenova Grande amp.

I would highly recommend the Marantz.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
pimpn04coupe
Registered User
 
pimpn04coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Home of the Lakers and Trojans
Posts: 2,945
My Ride: some hooptie
OK- well after a lot of researching, I have came up with a small list of pre-amps that I am going to consider:

Onkyo PRSC886P
Integra DHC 9.9
Marantz Av8003
NAD T175 HD
NAD M15 HD (overbudget)
B&K Ref 70 (overbudget)


The first three are definitely my top choices as of now since they are very affordable... BUT, I know my father won't be too happy about giving up his sunfire preamp for an onkyo or integra (he thinks that onkyo/integra aren't on the level/audiophile grade like the sunfire) but they offer a great deal of features for a retail price of 2k. The Marantz seems like a great unit, but its lacking a few features that most of the other ones i listed have (I can't remember at the moment). The B&K is clearly my top choice, BUT it is too damn expensive. I am going to have to find a preowned steal if I want to go that route. What do you guys think? Anyone with any experience with these models?

Glockman- I thought marantz right away when I went on this search because I remembered how much praise you gave it... I REALLY wanted that 7002 or 6003 for my living room! (i ended up settling with an onkyo 806) What are your thoughts on the 8003? Actually, I want to take a step back... what are your thoughts on getting a receiver and using it as a preamp versus getting a dedicated preamp? There are quite a few receivers that fall into the range of <2500... The only reason I am looking at preamps is because logically I think that I would get more for my money that way (because with the receiver you are paying for the amp as well, versus a same priced preamp you are just paying for the processing so has to be of higher quality)...

i am also going to shoot you a pm shortly...

**OH if anyone is looking for a preamp, check out this thread, it is extremely helpful in laying out most of the options with lots of info/comparisons:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940065
pimpn04coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,968
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpn04coupe View Post
OK- well after a lot of researching, I have came up with a small list of pre-amps that I am going to consider:

Onkyo PRSC886P
Integra DHC 9.9
Marantz Av8003
NAD T175 HD
NAD M15 HD (overbudget)
B&K Ref 70 (overbudget)


The first three are definitely my top choices as of now since they are very affordable... BUT, I know my father won't be too happy about giving up his sunfire preamp for an onkyo or integra (he thinks that onkyo/integra aren't on the level/audiophile grade like the sunfire) but they offer a great deal of features for a retail price of 2k. The Marantz seems like a great unit, but its lacking a few features that most of the other ones i listed have (I can't remember at the moment). The B&K is clearly my top choice, BUT it is too damn expensive. I am going to have to find a preowned steal if I want to go that route. What do you guys think? Anyone with any experience with these models?

Glockman- I thought marantz right away when I went on this search because I remembered how much praise you gave it... I REALLY wanted that 7002 or 6003 for my living room! (i ended up settling with an onkyo 806) What are your thoughts on the 8003? Actually, I want to take a step back... what are your thoughts on getting a receiver and using it as a preamp versus getting a dedicated preamp? There are quite a few receivers that fall into the range of <2500... The only reason I am looking at preamps is because logically I think that I would get more for my money that way (because with the receiver you are paying for the amp as well, versus a same priced preamp you are just paying for the processing so has to be of higher quality)...

i am also going to shoot you a pm shortly...

**OH if anyone is looking for a preamp, check out this thread, it is extremely helpful in laying out most of the options with lots of info/comparisons:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940065
In your price range, a high end receiver as a preamp is not a bad decision. You could always upgrade later.

I went from a preamp to a Marantz receiver and it was an upgrade and I have a pretty decent amp.

I even run the 2 of my 7 7.1 off the receiver with no noticable difference!

I will check your PM...









__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #10
howie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: 954
Posts: 2,988
My Ride: CLK55 AMG, E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to howie Send a message via Yahoo to howie
niiiiiiiiice setup!!!!
howie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #11
blownE30M3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Annapolis MD / San Diego CA
Posts: 192
My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
I swear to god I see glocks same pictures in every thread in this sub.
__________________


Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #12
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,968
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post
I swear to god I see glocks same pictures in every thread in this sub.
bite me.



he asked me my opinion.

there are so many bullsheeters on here, i just show what i have when talking about it.

__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 02:27 AM   #13
pimpn04coupe
Registered User
 
pimpn04coupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Home of the Lakers and Trojans
Posts: 2,945
My Ride: some hooptie
hey glock, I haven't heard back from you... Please get back to me when you can because I am looking to order the receiver tomorrow (monday)...
I am either going to go with the onkyo 886/integra 9.9 or the marantz... its seriously a difficult decision

oh by the way, I am going to get a new blu ray player as well... i think i may jump on the pioneer 51fd.. what do you guys think? Anything else youd recommend under 1k?
pimpn04coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #14
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,968
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpn04coupe View Post
hey glock, I haven't heard back from you... Please get back to me when you can because I am looking to order the receiver tomorrow (monday)...
I am either going to go with the onkyo 886/integra 9.9 or the marantz... its seriously a difficult decision

oh by the way, I am going to get a new blu ray player as well... i think i may jump on the pioneer 51fd.. what do you guys think? Anything else youd recommend under 1k?
I will check a price today for ya.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:15 PM   #15
mimalmo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 1,113
My Ride: 04 330i ZHP 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpn04coupe View Post
hey glock, I haven't heard back from you... Please get back to me when you can because I am looking to order the receiver tomorrow (monday)...
I am either going to go with the onkyo 886/integra 9.9 or the marantz... its seriously a difficult decision

oh by the way, I am going to get a new blu ray player as well... i think i may jump on the pioneer 51fd.. what do you guys think? Anything else youd recommend under 1k?
What did you end up getting?
__________________
mimalmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:04 PM   #16
GlockMan
Registered User
 
GlockMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,968
My Ride: Suburban LT 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by glockman9c View Post
I will check a price today for ya.
I think I can do right at $2K depending on shipping, etc.
__________________
.
!!! ROLL TIDE ROLL !!!
National Champions: 1925, 1926, 1930, 1934, 1941, 1961, 1964, 1965, 1973, 1978, 1979, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2014?



Ranting about Panny plasmas, Canon cameras, Glocks, BlueNile, and HDMI cables on a BMW board since 2005.

2007 Chevy Suburban LT 4x4 with Nav/Bose/DVD/JL (works for me)
1968 Ford Mustang with Polk/ADS (my first car)

2007 Lexus GS350 with every option
2000 BMW DINAN M5
2001 BMW 330ci
GlockMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use