E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
JGallardo

My Ride: E46 M3
DIY for Double DIn?

Does anyone know if there's a DIY to do and after market double din indash navigation/dvd/monitor on the E46? I know poeple have done it cause i've seen pics but i don't know if there's an actuall DIY on that. I have a Pioneer Avicf900bt that i want to throw it into my E46 M3. If anyone knows can you post a link or something please? Thanks.
JGallardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
xArmyPilot

My Ride: '01 330ci & '09 M5
There's a number of posts on here - For starters, I'd check out http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=359575 posted by mrdecibel. That DIY write up gets two
Old 12-28-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
Ervin87

My Ride: E92 M3 | S4 | E30
Send a message via AIM to Ervin87
When I was doing my Double Din instlal I was able to find a lot of DIY links on the forum. Just search DIY Double Din.

Good luck.

Ervin (Bay Area Detailer)
Ervin87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #4
JGallardo

Just got the info on the DIY. Thanks guys!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:51 PM   #5
JGallardo

One more question. I know i need the double din bezel, but do i really need the complete kit? which i think it comes with the metal holder for the unit and like an A/C cover or something? And where would it be the best place(price/quality) to get it from?
Old 01-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
LeontiyZHP

My Ride: '04 330Ci ZHP
The kit is the best way to go, unless you're very crafty and can make the bezel/holder yourself. If you're crafty, look at the DIYs, they first started of making everything themselves, and they are very detailed. If not, Euro-spec(Dtmspec) sells the Double Din kit on their site. Other sites do also I believe, I got mine off ebay, and I believe most of them are from the same manufacturer anyway.

You will need the AC Relocation kit, which I found at EAS "e46 HVAC" (European Auto Source - one of the sponsors on the site) there's a choice between the single button, and individual buttons. I ordered the wrong one and had to wait again. Their price was very reasonable I believe, unless you can find it cheaper from private sellers, but I couldn't at the time of my installation.

Check the link in my sig for AVIC-D3 Install, maybe you'll find something there as well..

2004 330Ci ZHP
Pioneer Avic D3, Xplod Amp w/ 10' Sub |
CCFL Angel Eyes, LED interior/license plate/CREE reverse lights
Car For Sale

DIY Facelift Angel Eyes | AVIC-D3 Install | flickr
LeontiyZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 02:29 PM   #7
JGallardo

Cool thanks. Yeah i was looking at the kit from euro-spec. I already have the AC relocation kit that i ordered from the dealership. But i don't really know what it means by single button or individual buttons. When i ordered from the dealership, the guy said that the single button one showed on his application list for the coupe or convertible m3, but the individual buttons one only list m3 vert not coupe. So anyway, i don't know if i got the right one, but in worst case, i'm cool the parts guy, so he said if it didn't work he'll exchange it for me.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
JoeVert

My Ride: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGallardo View Post
Cool thanks. Yeah i was looking at the kit from euro-spec. I already have the AC relocation kit that i ordered from the dealership. But i don't really know what it means by single button or individual buttons. When i ordered from the dealership, the guy said that the single button one showed on his application list for the coupe or convertible m3, but the individual buttons one only list m3 vert not coupe. So anyway, i don't know if i got the right one, but in worst case, i'm cool the parts guy, so he said if it didn't work he'll exchange it for me.
+1, I have a 330ci convertible and I don't want to order the wrong one, what is the difference?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:51 AM   #9
jonny323

My Ride: 323i Sport
Theres a great write up on the UK E46 site.

Click Here: http://www.e46zone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2628
jonny323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
bmw325ci Msport

My Ride: 325ci M sport Conver
Double DIN

Hi there

Once you remove the plastic arm which controls the air flaps. Does the heating still work as normal via all the vents when selected . Or do you have to modify
the arm and refit .
bmw325ci Msport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
Ervin87

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325ci Msport View Post
Hi there

Once you remove the plastic arm which controls the air flaps. Does the heating still work as normal via all the vents when selected . Or do you have to modify
the arm and refit .
No. If you do not modify that arm, your floor vents will not be functional. You need to remove the arm and modify it so that the double din can fit and still have enough space for the arm to move left/right without touching anything. Very tight space for this as well.

Old 02-11-2009, 01:01 AM   #12
bmw325ci Msport

Hi

firstly, thanks for your recent reply. Just to clarify, I need to remove the arm and modify it as advised. Have you done this before and if so, is there anyway you could reply with how to do the modification and if possible post a picture. I know i am asking a lot, but I want to make sure the job is done properly.

Again, any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:25 AM   #13
Ervin87

Yea, you are correct. You will need to remove the arm and modify it so that it can move without hitting anything. I have done this before and this portion took me the longest part.
This website helped me out a lot:

http://www.mybimmer.net/doubledintrim.htm

If you scroll down, you will find MANY DIY threads with people doing the whole thing.

Here is a good thread explaining what you basically need to do and some pictures:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7135939

Good luck.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #14
bmw325ci Msport

Thanks for all your help

Job basically completed now, just awaiting my benzel facia to ensure it is lined up correctly. Everything is fitted now and it looks really good. I will post pictures of finished job , once I receive the benzel facia and have fitted it.

Again thanks for all your help!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #15
EeNeljäKuus

My Ride: BMW E46
I have a car without air condition. How does this double din operation make a difference?
EeNeljäKuus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:42 PM   #16
wheelman322

My Ride: 02 330Ci, 6 others
Bookmarked. Still waiting for free time to throw in my AVIC-F900BT.

2002 330Ci. Sport/Nav/BiX's/Htd sts
Ordered 11-01/Sold 8-03/Bought Back 10-08
ATP Prototype Turbo M54...380RWHP @ 14PSI, Plenty of room to go

Tinted/M3 Mirrors/19" (Real) CSL Wheels/Smoked LED Tail Lights,Side Markers and Corner Lights/Umnitza Angel Eyes/6000k HID fog lights/M3 Interior/UUC Evo3Short Shifter
wheelman322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:29 AM   #17
joliver

My Ride: 330Ci Cabrio ///M
Take a look at this....

http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_e46.php

In the theory on sale the next month, but since August have so...

Have fun and nice day!
joliver is offline   Reply With Quote