E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
kmorphosis

My Ride: 2005 325i
All I want for XMas...

was the Porter Cable 7424 Starter Kit.

And I got it!!

But of course I forgot to tell Santa that I needed everything else to go along with it.

Which brings me to my questions.

I have looked over the forums for awhile now and believe I understand the basics of polishing my car, and 05 325i in "Something" Grey. When I bought it used there were scratches on the hood that they had polished out. Not enough for me they repainted the hood, but I missed a scratch on the side of the car that I am hoping will polish out.

I am looking for a shoppping list of items that I need. I would love to get the foam master and washing and drying kit, but since I live in an apartment I don't have access to a hose bib. So it looks like I will be washing the car at one of those Wash n Goes.

So I was looking at the Polish and Protection starter kits along with microfiber starter kits. So for a beginner which kit would you all recommend? I would love to go all out and buy everything, but just want to get the essentials as I start out.

And I have read the tutorials online about each stage. But I haven't found one that talks about prepping the car, like what to mask off, how close to edges or plastic to polish. Little things like that.

So any help would be appreciated..

Thanks
kmorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
The Polish and Protection Starter Kit is probably the most cost effective method to get high quality products that help you complete a full detail. You get a clay bar, lube, medium polish (orange pad), light polish (white pad), sealant (blue pad) and wax at a great value. This will help you deep clean the surface, remove surface imperfections, while protecting and shining the paint. For the Microfiber Starter Kit we have an excellent selection of really high quality towels and accessories. Let me know if you have any questions about these kits or any of the products within them.

For washing you should look in to the Optimum No Rinse. This will help you wash when there is no large source of water and save you from having to go to the car wash place if you don't want to go.

For prepping the vehicle before a full detail I grab some blue painters tape. I like to tape off any areas that are directly in the path of the buffer that I can not easily avoid (trim, some door handles, lights, emblems, etc.). I apply the tape so it just covers up trim and any joint where excess product may collect. Once I have the tape down I go right up to the tape for best results. If you have any other questions please let me know, I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
Stormos

My Ride: Not alot!
Nice kit, i'd be tempted to substitute the PB sealant and QD for Chemical Guys items and the Natty's for Collinite or FK 1000P though for added durability. But, its still a great starter!
Stormos is offline   Reply With Quote