E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
mkodama
Registered User
 
mkodama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 33,164
Do Cold Air Intakes Do Anything At All?

People say their intakes sound great and add hp, but I really don't understand the sound part. I mean, just messing around, I take my entire air filter box out and rev up the engine, sure I can hear a little woosh of air when I first step on the throttle, but above 4000 rpm the engine noise drowns out the intake sound.

Are there any videos out there where the camera isn't 3 inches from the intake? Or a vid with the hood closed? Or anyone that who bought an aftermarket intake and doesn't notice a sound difference either?

So many people are wanting to buy intakes and others are replying saying the sound is totally worth it. I'm starting to feel crazy with my beliefs that aftermarket intakes are useless.
__________________

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Len013091
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 3,956
My Ride: S52 E30, 330i
Send a message via AIM to Len013091
You'll not hear much sound increase just by revving. If you want some proof, go to autozone, buy a spectre air filter, slap that on your maf, and go drive around. You'll hear a difference.
Len013091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #3
simsima325
'a certain moderator'
 
simsima325's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Hyattsville, MD
Posts: 37,639
My Ride: Honda Civic
they sound cool.
__________________
-Brendan
simsima325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #4
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW
 
Edison@JleviSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 28,337
My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
I notice my car is much peppier with a CAI and is much more responsive throughout the entire range. I actually swapped back to stock for a SMOG test and the car felt very sluggish as if it were running on 87 or 89 fuel. It's not a neck breaking difference but I have found it to be worth while. The sound improvement is also a plus.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
RXP rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: camdenton mo
Posts: 880
My Ride: E46 325Ci 04'
its a small small difference and cant really be felt but its still worth it i think, eventually with other mods it can add up. Im runnin a Dinan and love it.
__________________
RXP rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
zikhkd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,373
My Ride: AMG
Send a message via AIM to zikhkd
makes your car sound more "modified", looks good in your engine bay, more airflow to the engine.

I've got plenty of comments on them from other people, because of the whistle noise they think its a super charger
__________________
zikhkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
Dreamliner330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,842
My Ride: 330xi
yes, it does something...it takes money from your pocket...

Look at my DIY thread for a $3 CAI (you can learn alot by looking at a m3 airbox.)
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Chris-TK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 16,312
My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Miles you can come listen to mine.
__________________
K.
Chris-TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
mkodama
Registered User
 
mkodama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 33,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
yes, it does something...it takes money from your pocket...

Look at my DIY thread for a $3 CAI (you can learn alot by looking at a m3 airbox.)
Haha, yeah, that's my thinking. They cost like $200 on average, some of them have shown a loss in performance, many no difference, no sound difference that I can notice, and some supercharger systems even reuse the stock airbox. Not to mention the annoying hassle to change the air filter and wash it and re-oil it as opposed to just replacing a drop in filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
Miles you can come listen to mine.
When you driving back down to SD?
__________________

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
Whammy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI -> CO
Posts: 20,099
My Ride: ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
I notice my car is much peppier with a CAI and is much more responsive throughout the entire range. I actually swapped back to stock for a SMOG test and the car felt very sluggish as if it were running on 87 or 89 fuel. It's not a neck breaking difference but I have found it to be worth while. The sound improvement is also a plus.
How can you say this? The engine management system is going to see that there is more air coming into the engine. At first, you should notice a slight different. After a little while of driving, the engine should regulate back to normal operating parameters.

Unless the DME is hacked/modified to accommodate an aftermarket intake, you will not feel one bit of difference. I have a hard time believing that you get better performance long term (> 1 hour driving) from that overpriced funnel.
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:01 PM   #11
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW
 
Edison@JleviSW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Santa Clara
Posts: 28,337
My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whammy View Post
How can you say this? The engine management system is going to see that there is more air coming into the engine. At first, you should notice a slight different. After a little while of driving, the engine should regulate back to normal operating parameters.

Unless the DME is hacked/modified to accommodate an aftermarket intake, you will not feel one bit of difference. I have a hard time believing that you get better performance long term (> 1 hour driving) from that overpriced funnel.
You are right in that the ECU adapts to the increased air flow but it does not revert back to the same power output. It adapts to the increased air flow by running slightly richer but you are still getting the advantage of more dense cooler air being forced into the engine which is a sheer law of physics that leads to increased power.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #12
Whammy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI -> CO
Posts: 20,099
My Ride: ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
You are right in that the ECU adapts to the increased air flow but it does not revert back to the same power output. It adapts to the increased air flow by running slightly richer but you are still getting the advantage of more dense cooler air being forced into the engine which is a sheer law of physics that leads to increased power.
Point noted. Pretty expensive mod to gain 1HP (maybe) at the wheel.
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:22 PM   #13
Len013091
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Tuscaloosa, AL
Posts: 3,956
My Ride: S52 E30, 330i
Send a message via AIM to Len013091
It's the sound that you get an intake for.
Len013091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #14
djnekkon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Paterson, New Jersey / Orlando Florida
Posts: 15,926
My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
sound....
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #15
Tater49
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 746
My Ride: 04' G35 Coupe
Dinan Intakes are really loud actually. My s*** whistles so much, right when you hit the gas, but it will make the car louder anyway.
__________________


2000 328i 5 Spd Black on Black SOLD!

2004 G35 Coupe 6 Spd Gray on Black Current
Daily


FS. JB Racing Lightweight Flywheel (Non-M 6 Speed ONLY) - $450 obo

FS. Spec Stage 3 Clutch Kit (Non-M 6 Speed ONLY) - $400 obo

Tater49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #16
Chris-TK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 16,312
My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Haha, yeah, that's my thinking. They cost like $200 on average, some of them have shown a loss in performance, many no difference, no sound difference that I can notice, and some supercharger systems even reuse the stock airbox. Not to mention the annoying hassle to change the air filter and wash it and re-oil it as opposed to just replacing a drop in filter.


When you driving back down to SD?
On Monday morning early, you could meet me around 8 am.
__________________
K.
Chris-TK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:29 AM   #17
B33MER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SJ, Malaysia
Posts: 1,102
My Ride: 330i SMG M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
People say their intakes sound great and add hp, but I really don't understand the sound part. I mean, just messing around, I take my entire air filter box out and rev up the engine, sure I can hear a little woosh of air when I first step on the throttle, but above 4000 rpm the engine noise drowns out the intake sound.

Are there any videos out there where the camera isn't 3 inches from the intake? Or a vid with the hood closed? Or anyone that who bought an aftermarket intake and doesn't notice a sound difference either?

So many people are wanting to buy intakes and others are replying saying the sound is totally worth it. I'm starting to feel crazy with my beliefs that aftermarket intakes are useless.
you sure are lazy lol ... lucky for you am bored rite now so here you go (it's a stock M3 with CSL airbox)


__________________
330i SMG M-Sport Paket II Euro Spec
Mods:
CF Roundels all around, Black grillz, 7000k Angel eyes,6300k HID fog lights, Hamman Lip reps, ACS roof spoiler reps, Alutech front and rear struts, BMC CDA with DIY heatshield, Pro RS braided brake line, ///M Billet Oil Cap, OEM ///M mats, ///M aluminium pedals,


Last edited by B33MER; 01-02-2009 at 05:32 AM.
B33MER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:32 PM   #18
aaronu
Content free since 1994
 
aaronu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Marysville, WA
Posts: 587
My Ride: Nothing. I ride.
+1 Nick@JLeviW.

The intake system is a direct pipeline to the combustion chambers and can produce quite a lot of noise. Stock systems are designed to meet certain hp requirements and also to meet sound level requirements as well.

For example, my 1997 SHO (3.4 liter Yamaha DOHC V8, 235 hp) had an intake baffle that took up most of the (substantial) space in the left front fender area forward of the wheel well. The baffle looked and operated the same as an exhaust muffler. Removing it produced a ton more engine sound, although it was hardly noticeable from within the car with the windows up.

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/intake1.html

When I replaced my stock 325 airbox with an aFe intake, the change in engine noise was obvious, even with the windows rolled up. Not all the change was good. Along with the more aggressive engine sound under hard acceleration came an intake whistle at low speeds and part throttle. I can barely detect it with the windows up but it's very noticeable with windows down when I'm cruising around town.

As for power -- the engine is designed with hp targets in mind and also with noise generation targets. Aftermarket intakes are under no such constraints. That's why they're generally much simpler than a factory intake design.

My aFe intake absolutely, positively makes the car louder AND faster.

When I put it on the car I did a write-up on it:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=337494

Not only do I stand by those results from almost three years ago, I can back them up up with a dyno run showing a good increase over stock hp.

Keep in mind it's a 325 with 160 rwhp stock. Dyno pull with Shark injector and aFe CAI was 176.1 rwhp. The car was pretty strong for a 325, but after the intake swap it caught me off guard a few times. Not supercharger strong but definitely a more powerful car.

I keep hearing how these boltons don't do much for our cars, and almost didn't try anything on mine. But in the case of the air intake, I have to disagree with "the experts". Based on my own experience I recommend a short ram system such as K&N, ECIS, Conforti and aFe.

Cheers!
__________________
RIP 11/25/2009


2004 Mazda RX-8 6MT, Nordic Green
aaronu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #19
Whammy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: WI -> CO
Posts: 20,099
My Ride: ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronu View Post
+1 Nick@JLeviW.

The intake system is a direct pipeline to the combustion chambers and can produce quite a lot of noise. Stock systems are designed to meet certain hp requirements and also to meet sound level requirements as well.

For example, my 1997 SHO (3.4 liter Yamaha DOHC V8, 235 hp) had an intake baffle that took up most of the (substantial) space in the left front fender area forward of the wheel well. The baffle looked and operated the same as an exhaust muffler. Removing it produced a ton more engine sound, although it was hardly noticeable from within the car with the windows up.

http://www.v8sho.com/SHO/intake1.html

When I replaced my stock 325 airbox with an aFe intake, the change in engine noise was obvious, even with the windows rolled up. Not all the change was good. Along with the more aggressive engine sound under hard acceleration came an intake whistle at low speeds and part throttle. I can barely detect it with the windows up but it's very noticeable with windows down when I'm cruising around town.

As for power -- the engine is designed with hp targets in mind and also with noise generation targets. Aftermarket intakes are under no such constraints. That's why they're generally much simpler than a factory intake design.

My aFe intake absolutely, positively makes the car louder AND faster.

When I put it on the car I did a write-up on it:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=337494

Not only do I stand by those results from almost three years ago, I can back them up up with a dyno run showing a good increase over stock hp.

Keep in mind it's a 325 with 160 rwhp stock. Dyno pull with Shark injector and aFe CAI was 176.1 rwhp. The car was pretty strong for a 325, but after the intake swap it caught me off guard a few times. Not supercharger strong but definitely a more powerful car.

I keep hearing how these boltons don't do much for our cars, and almost didn't try anything on mine. But in the case of the air intake, I have to disagree with "the experts". Based on my own experience I recommend a short ram system such as K&N, ECIS, Conforti and aFe.

Cheers!
Nice write-up. I do think it is a little expensive $/HP rate.

To each their own.
Whammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
Phantom_Tulaba
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mass
Posts: 127
My Ride: pure Hotness
I have to agree with aaronu.
I did the AFe Intake on my 325i and it made a noticable difference in response as well. I do like the sounds it makes as well. and the Whistle it makes turns heads.
__________________
Werd!

Phantom_Tulaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:37 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use