E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #41
dreamdrivedrift

My Ride: 99 M3 & 95 325i
Send a message via AIM to dreamdrivedrift
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkodama View Post
Some intakes, like the Gruppe M intake have been shown to lose some power, intakes have zero effect on air to fuel ratio since it is electronically controlled, and the stock intake runs cooler than many since it is completely enclosed in plastic, which is a very good heat insulator. I was looking for more facts than internet hype.
Sounds like you know more than most people. People get it for the sound, if you think it's worth it, go for it. Personally I just cut a hole in my airbox and eventually I'll route something to feed cold air to the airbox.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #42
aaronu
Content free since 1994

My Ride: Nothing. I ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonspot View Post
you recommend a short ram that sucks the hot air from the engine bay and this setup will give you more HP, in the summer if i wanted to work on my car i would not drive it or open the hood for hours to cool down because they get so hot under there and this hot air will help in HP gain,.. think i'll go spend $350 right now for a intake and $500 for software?

am thinking 90-95% of your gain was software and 10-5% the intake to help with the software mod.
Actually I didn't install an intake that pulls hot air from the engine bay. I installed an aFe Magnum Force CAI.

The aFe pulls from the stock (cold air) intake duct and through grills inthe lower left front of the car. The heat shield in the kit appears to do a good job keeping hot air away from the filter.

And if you follow the link to my original write-up, you'll see that I tested the Shark software independently from the CAI. I uninstalled the software and went back to stock programming before I tested the intake.

FYI the Shark made a much less noticeable improvement. The only place that it made a big difference was 0-60 because the added redline let me shift to third at ~ 62 mph instead of 59 mph. The value of the Shark software is a very small performance improvement along with enhanced responsiveness and mileage, and most importantly it moves the redline to 7000 -- something I think is important for those of us wanting to run shorter rear gearing.

2004 Mazda RX-8 6MT, Nordic Green
aaronu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #43
eodguy83

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
I put an AFE stage 2 cold air intake on my 2005 GMC sierra before I bought my 01 325i. That was well worth the money for that. I started researching the technology with it and understanding what its all about. Then looking at doing things on a budget since I got married, you know the normal budget with two instead of one. Anyways I went ahead and put a DIY cold air intake on my bmw. I felt almost the same benifit as on my GMC. Not exactly since the GMC was twice the engine as in the BMW. Going to Auto zone it was all of maybe 40 bucks. I didn't pay anything since I someone gave me a generic cold air intake that I just modified. Its not a stage 2 but it works great.

Go to autozone and get a air filter with the intake filter on the top as well as the sides.

get some mass air flow sensor cleaner might as well get that done while you have the parts out.

Take out all of the air box but leave all of the directional air flow tubing in. This will help direct air to the filter.

Photobucket

Use just a regular hose clamp to attach the the filter directly onto the mass air sensor.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I took out the grill inserts at the bottom to help airflow. This is optional since it doesn't do too much. I took out both sides to make it even.

Attach some sort of brace, you can find this in alumium so you can mold it. I attached mine with a bolt from the original box. Works great.

This is alot cheaper then spending 250+ on something almost as simple.
Remote Start (1 Mile)
eodguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:50 PM   #44
eodguy83

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Also as for the "heat shields" if you are going faster then oh I don't know 15mph. All the heat will be moving in the opposite direction so it doens't have that much of a gain. Although I do like the look of the heat shield and the fact that it helps direct the air flow better. But to each his own. Some people like the great look of kit cold air intakes. Others like myself take pride that comes with simple things such as above.
Remote Start (1 Mile)
eodguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #45
mattmo91
Banned

My Ride: Alpine White 330ci
this does not sound good
mattmo91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:20 PM   #46
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmo91 View Post
this does not sound good
I saw this video before and decided not to buy a Cold air intake after watching it. The engine sounds like crap with that thing installed, I would be embarrassed to drive a car that sounded like that.

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #47
W///

My Ride: E30, E46, E92 M3
The sound is most noticeable when you are WOT I think. It's a lot throatier and louder as well. In terms of performance, personally I can't really tell. I'm very happy with my AFE intake.
W/// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #48
justanotherokie

My Ride: 2002 330i
I had a whistle. The air tube is a 3 piece affair. The last part has a thumb size tube and a big tube hooking into the intake. The Thumb size tube can crack and make the engine whistle like you said. It is simple to fix (if you can reach the brackets) and costs $20 at the stealership. Look around you can find some info on it.
justanotherokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #49
mkodama

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33MER View Post
you sure are lazy lol ... lucky for you am bored rite now so here you go (it's a stock M3 with CSL airbox)

Ok, that's a completely different case. That was replacing not just the airfilter, but the entire intake plenum as well. In addition to that, the M3 has individual throttle bodies and no intake runners. M54 and S54 are completely different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronu View Post
Most likely it won't do much, especially if you don't drive it on the street.

... but driving it on the street is how you will determine if it makes more noise with no intake.

mkodama -- I don't do "internet hype". I was a skeptic when I bought my intake. That's why I tried it out. For the record, I have one year toward my PhD in statistics specializing in experimental design, a master's degree in mathematics and several years math/stats teaching experience at the college level and I KNOW HOW TO SET UP A TEST.

I did everything I could to isolate the intake swap for external variables and came away absolutely convinced that the intake added power -- both from objective testing and from subjective feel while driving the car. I definitely a go before show type of person. I get a lot of pleasure out of driving a 325Ci that is quicker than it ought to be, and yes my car stilll has the Style 44's and looks very stock. And yes it's good for mid to low 14's at sea level, even with me driving.

Yeah, I know. People say all sorts of crap on the internet so believe me if you want. You asked and I answered to the best of my ability and that's all I or anyone else here can do. Make your decision and if you change the intake on your car, please post up the results for the rest of us.

Cheers,
Oh, I wasn't talking about you when I said internet hype. I was talking about the person who just said they add power and sound and made an analogy of a human breathing hot air. You on the other hand did do a very thorough write up that would make a physics teacher proud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsbma View Post
I watched a video of what dust can do the a cylinder wall. It wasn't pretty.
Link? I've also seen internet stuff saying the smaller particles that oil cotton filters let through cause the most damage. Hard to separate the truth from the hype.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmo91 View Post
this does not sound good
That's exactly what my car sounds like with no intake, but in person it isn't quite so loud.

mkodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 01:33 PM   #50
330i'm me

My Ride: 01' 330i
Send a message via AIM to 330i'm me
when you guys talk about the dinan intake, are you talking about this one?http://www.dinancars.com/store/produ...cat=412&page=1
Old 01-04-2009, 01:39 PM   #51
SaaDiesel

My Ride: 02 330i Tech 1
I was referring to the older tube style intake, I've heard nothing but good things about both though.

ZSP/ZPP/ZCW
BFP Intake, Euro Cooling Ducts, OEM Clear Lenses, 8000K HIDS
Matte Black-Grill, Headlight, Window, & Body Trim
SaaDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:07 PM   #52
Stanc3

My Ride: 99' JB 328i
More performance from my $250 intake , than my $800 exhaust..

cleans up the engine bay, and gets cold air straight through the CSL hole ..

BFP, before they went out of business.

- Albert Einstein
- Chad
Stanc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:13 PM   #53
MJRMatt330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to MJRMatt330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytprowler328i View Post
More performance from my $250 intake , than my $800 exhaust..

cleans up the engine bay, and gets cold air straight through the CSL hole ..

BFP, before they went out of business.
exactly like mine except the Dinan CF intake, and mine gets fresh cold air from the m-tech II brake duct! Isnt it nice?
Interior/Sound- Tri-M3 wheel, Leather ///M shiftknob, DICE iPod integration, JL Audio 10" Whoofers, Custom Box, JL Audio 250/1 Amp

MJRMatt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:41 PM   #54
330i'm me

so after researching dinans new air box style intake, i'm not interested in it. I want a deep grunt from the intake, and i guess the dinan doesn't really improve sound. what do you guys recommend for the best sound?
Old 01-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #55
SaaDiesel

It is very nice indeed, I too have the BFP intake and it gets fresh cold air from my m-tech I diesel duct. It really does clean up the engine bay, especially when your washer fluid tank is painted black

If you want a deep grunt try and get your hands on an older dinan (or dinan style) tube intake that actually changes the acoustics of the air flow. I think injen makes a tube intake also.

ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Last edited by SaaDiesel; 01-04-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:49 PM   #56
Stanc3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJRMatt330 View Post
exactly like mine except the Dinan CF intake, and mine gets fresh cold air from the m-tech II brake duct! Isnt it nice?
very nice!.. nice whistle at lower speeds, and a deep grunt when on it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i'm me View Post
so after researching dinans new air box style intake, i'm not interested in it. I want a deep grunt from the intake, and i guess the dinan doesn't really improve sound. what do you guys recommend for the best sound?
I might be partial, but the Dinan Tube style CF intake, or the BFP (as I have) would be my two choices, do to being "true" CAI's. It may be hard to find a BFP though... it would have to be used (which would be no prob w/ a new K&N filter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaaDiesel View Post
It is very nice indeed, I too have the BFP intake and it gets fresh cold air from my m-tech I diesel duct. It really does clean up the engine bay, especially when your washer fluid tank is painted black
After painting mine black, I ended up just taking the whole damn resevior out!! never really use it anyway, and it looks even cleaner

- Albert Einstein
- Chad
Old 01-04-2009, 02:56 PM   #57
SaaDiesel

haha thats funny man, is your dash light on for low fluid at all times?

ZSP/ZPP/ZCW
Old 01-04-2009, 02:59 PM   #58
Stanc3

yep..lol

now that I think about it... there has got to be a way to 'trick' it. hmm

- Albert Einstein
- Chad
Old 01-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #59
SaaDiesel

Could you disable the light on the cluster manually?
Is the sensor located at the bottom of the tank? far right in the pic.
Maybe you could mess with that?

ZSP/ZPP/ZCW
Old 01-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #60
330i'm me

did they not make an injen intake for the 330?
i only found them for 328, and 325