E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 03:54 PM   #1
Jabboure36

My Ride: 03 540i/6
Send a message via AIM to Jabboure36
service engine soon light came on for two days...then went off?

Does that still mean i should still service it? if i take it to autozone can they still get the codes? it was on for two days everytime i turned on the car....but today for some reason it went off when i got off work...the whole way home there was no light! maybe its the sensor? i doubt but hopefully...any takers?
Jabboure36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:55 PM   #2
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
buy a scan tool?

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
gripen

My Ride: M3 sc
quite possibly your gas cap was not tightened properly
therefore throwing on the check engine light (gas vapours escaping)

and you filled the car with gas at some point and retightened gas cap
and when you put it through several drive cycles (cold engine-->warm engine-->cold engine = 1 drive cycle),
the computer realized it was your gas cap and turned off your check engine light
Old 01-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #4
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

My Ride: E90
No sense in guessing.

Have a look at the article titled "Is your check engine light on?" linked in my signature.

ken@bimmertools.com if you have any questions.

Good luck and happy new year!

Ken

Bimmertools is under new ownership! Please welcome Taylor@bimmertools.com.
Click Here to say hi.
ken@bimmertools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
Dre325

My Ride: 2001 325i
The exact same thing just happened to me. For one day last week, my "Service Engine Soon" light came on. It went on on my way to work in the morning and was still on when I drove home that evening. However, when I started my car up the next morning, it was gone. I did not get gas or do anything to my car in the mean time. Will the code still show up if I have my OBD read at a local autoparts store? I'm not going to buy a BMW specific scan tool b/c I don't plan on having my car much longer (and since the light isn't on anymore, I'm not sure I even have an issue to address). Anybody have some advice?
Dre325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:20 PM   #6
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
its could be anything , a faulty sensor, for me most of the time a check engine light that goes on and off points to the o2 sensors.

even a pin hole in the boot of your spark plug coils that once in awhile randomly fires on the cyclinder block instead of the plugs that casue a misfire code..then runs fine until a certain condition...

just get a peake tool, its really is worth the small fee. i have mine and it works on all of my bmws

"And all of my limitations begin to fade away. In this place I have freedom It's here I wish to stay.
Thoughts become distant feelings, I'm going with the flow. I'll just sit still now and begin by letting go...
begin by letting go...."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
MrTXM

My Ride: 2000 E46 328ci
Check engine light is different from service engine light. Service engine light means it's time to change your oil and reset. Check engine light means cancel all dates with girlfriend and save money to fix ride or get a OBD2 code reader and find out what's wrong.
MrTXM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:19 PM   #8
vladvm

My Ride: 2002 325i
stop driving until you read the code. can be catastrophic or simplas as gas cap.

BMW 325i
vladvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #9
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladvm View Post
stop driving until you read the code. can be catastrophic or simplas as gas cap.
It's rarely 'catastrophic', and you can certainly drive the car. If the performance feels ok and the light is not flashing, the car should be safe. If you feel anything unusual - misfires, unresponsive throttle, noises - THEN you should stop driving until it can be looked at.

Click Here to say hi.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:39 PM   #10
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTXM View Post
Check engine light is different from service engine light. Service engine light means it's time to change your oil and reset. Check engine light means cancel all dates with girlfriend and save money to fix ride or get a OBD2 code reader and find out what's wrong.
The terms are interchangeable. Some E46s have the 'check engine' icon, some have 'Service Engine Soon' in text. They are both the same warning - there is a fault or trouble code that needs to be read.

There is a separate oil service countdown that is a reminder, that is not a 'service engine soon' light.

Ken

Click Here to say hi.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
320driver

My Ride: 320ci Coupé Exe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken@bimmertools View Post
No sense in guessing.

Have a look at the article titled "Is your check engine light on?" linked in my signature.

ken@bimmertools.com if you have any questions.

Good luck and happy new year!

Ken
This is a brilliant tool I have to say.
I ordered one and I live in Holland Europe, after a few weeks I received it and used it without any probs.
My Engine light was on for a short while and after that it didn't return anymore so I was wondering what it was of course. I own a 320Ci from 99
I found out with the Peake tool that it was a 'bad fuel' code D5 so VPower from Shell sucks!
A few days ago I've read a German article about this type of fuel and the reviews were not good
Sure you can put this fuel in your car once in a while but not all the time it seems... So I went back to Euro95 Unleaded and now the enginelight stays off, it's very easy to reset your SES light with this tool as well
Now there was no need to go to the dealer and I could do it myself, this tool is a good investment

Freude am fahren
320driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
ken@bimmertools
Is NOT A Mechanic

Thanks for the kind words and great endorsement!

Cheers.

Ken

Click Here to say hi.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
320driver

My Ride: 320ci Coupé Exe
Thank you Ken for providing a great tool and save me the money to go to a dealer

Freude am fahren
320driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:45 PM   #14
Arsevader

My Ride: '90 325i, '02 325it
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320driver View Post
I found out with the Peake tool that it was a 'bad fuel' code D5 so VPower from Shell sucks!
A few days ago I've read a German article about this type of fuel and the reviews were not good
Sure you can put this fuel in your car once in a while but not all the time it seems... So I went back to Euro95 Unleaded and now the enginelight stays off,
Funny how here in Canada, Shell V-power is actually the best fuel as it's the only one that has no ethanol at all.

+1 on the Peake tool though. It's well worth the $100.

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:18 PM   #15
poppian

My Ride: 02/325Ci
Same here, my engine light been on for sometime now but for some reason whenever the weather get into the + <---like today the light goes off. This been going on for awhile now (on n off) n
yes i am going to get my brakes,oil n a scan done next week but for now does anybody have any idea wat it could be ?. Thanks in advance n sorry to butt into this thread.
poppian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 08:50 PM   #16
snowie007

My Ride: 2000 323i
my CEL light did that when my exhaust cam positional sensor was dying....
snowie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #17
poppian

Funny u mention exhaust,when i start the car for the first few minutes i can smell gas fume comming from the tail pipes.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #18
charliehuang7

My Ride: 2000 323ci
if its coming on and off, you got a problem, not a big one, but you got one. It could be a faulty sensor that is sometimes working properly and sometimes not, it could be multiple faulty sensors and they take turns, it could be a vaccum leak, gas cap not capped right.. and so on..

just cause the light goes off does not mean you dont have the problem anymore..it could just be because its not triggering it.
dont doubt your car computer, its actually quite smart. if you ever get a chance to get it hooked to the G1 unit, you will be able to see how many times the computer has recorded the fault of a specific problem.
charliehuang7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:50 PM   #19
Griff330

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppian View Post
Funny u mention exhaust,when i start the car for the first few minutes i can smell gas fume comming from the tail pipes.
That doesn't seem right. Maybe a Cat problem?
Griff330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:37 PM   #20
poppian

i check the cps and the connector that plug into the font of the engine the the isulator is peel off, i can see the four color wires.Two of the wires i can even see the copper inside of them but like i said the cel light comes on go.Friday it went off due to the warm weather we had here (+2)n i tell u car drive wicked.Could it be the cps ?

Last edited by poppian; 01-24-2009 at 09:39 PM.