E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #1
New_2_BMW

My Ride: '03 325xi
New Paint...how should I protect it?

Due to some harsh road rash (thanks Mr. 18-wheeler), I just had my entire car repainted, new windshield, head lights, stone-guard, the works (thanks Mr. Allstate, $6000+). So, the question is how do I keep it looking new. The color is Oriental Blue and it shows EVERYTHING. I've seen some others with the same color on here and their cars look amazing! Any advise? Thanks
New_2_BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:46 AM   #2
DetailDan

My Ride: Jeep
Send a message via AIM to DetailDan
There isnt much you can do with it until the paint cures. There are some body shop safe glazes you could use which offer some short time protection.
DetailDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
New_2_BMW

Thanks Dan. I know there is not much i can do to it because its new. I guess what i was looking for is what is the best product to put on it, as i don't think i will need to do the 3, 4, and 5 step processes that i read about with compounds, sealants, polishes, glazes, wax, etc. I probably should have been more specific. So it sounds like i all i will need is a glaze (not a wax) to protect the paint in the near future. is there a time frame for curing? after that, will i need to do all of the above processes, or just stick to the glaze until it starts to show signs of swirls?
Old 01-03-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
I honestly wouldn't put anything on it till it cures. After that, I would put some 3m clear bra on that car

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #5
DetailDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_2_BMW View Post
Thanks Dan. I know there is not much i can do to it because its new. I guess what i was looking for is what is the best product to put on it, as i don't think i will need to do the 3, 4, and 5 step processes that i read about with compounds, sealants, polishes, glazes, wax, etc. I probably should have been more specific. So it sounds like i all i will need is a glaze (not a wax) to protect the paint in the near future. is there a time frame for curing? after that, will i need to do all of the above processes, or just stick to the glaze until it starts to show signs of swirls?
Ideally, you shouldnt need to do any polishing because the body shop should have done it properly, but we all know how that goes. You cant use sealants or waxes on new paint because the paint needs to out gas, thats the curing process. You can call Meguiars and talk to them about putting a glaze on fresh paint. Otherwise, I would wash it weekly and make sure nothing sits on the paint for a long period of time. Curing time is generally about ~90 days or so, but Id call the body shop and ask them. Once its cured, Id apply a sealant or wax, and polish if needed.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:35 PM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Assuming the paint was not baked the car will most likely have to wait 30 - 90 days before it can be protected. Consult the body shop for a more specific time frame. After the paint has cured I would protect the paint with a sealant and if you want layer a wax on top of it. Sealants tend to last a lot longer than a wax and they make the paint look really shinny and reflective. For the best protection I recommend the Chemical Guys Jetseal 109. It protects for a solid 4 - 6 months and makes the paint look outstanding. Best of all this product is on sale for the month of January so you can save $10! After than you can layer a coat of wax on top of it for additional protection. Waxes provide a very strong form of protection, but they just don't last very long. The Dodo Juice waxes offer some of the more longer lasting formulas. I'd suggest looking in to them or if you prefer a cheaper option looks at the Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax. This will help protect the paint some more and add some extra deep gloss! Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help!

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #7
New_2_BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
I honestly wouldn't put anything on it till it cures. After that, I would put some 3m clear bra on that car
That's included "stone guard" is what I wrote, but that's what I meant. And I agree, glad they are footin' the bill for it though.

Thanks everybody. I will talk to the shop and get some Jetseal 109 on order. I'm just concerned because they already told me that that color of blue is hard to do and they they have to polish the *%$& out of it after painting, so it will always show marks. I'll post pics when I get it back next week. Thanks all.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
DetailDan

Sounds like they dont know what they're doing....
Old 01-04-2009, 06:57 PM   #9
New_2_BMW

that's what i was wondering. didn't know where to take it, so i called the dealership and asked where they get their body work/paint done and that's where i took it. i'll see on tuesday how well they did. i keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
DetailDan

Good luck! I hope it works out.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #11
LABMW13

My Ride: M3, 330i, '89 325i
Its Orient Blue, not oriental...i would let cure for a week (min), something my shop didn't tell me. Also I put a 3M invisible shield over my front bumper to help protect it some they have this for hoods, fenders, and head lamps. My shop told me that there is nothing i can really do to prevent hairline scratches on that blue other than to put that shield over it.

M3: SSR GT3 Wheels, H&R Coilovers, JL 12" W6, Eisenmann 83mm, SS Headers, 4.10's, CF CSL Trunk & Diffuser, Euro Front Bumper, Hamann CF front lip, 3000k Fogs, NX 125 Shot
UUC Parts: SSBC Brakes, Lines, Sway bars, 8LB Flywheel, twin disc clutch, Evo 3 Shifter, RK7A Shift Knob, CF E-brake, Rasp-X Mid Pipes
Coming Soon: VRS Vented Race Hood & VCSL CF Roof Panel
LABMW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
New_2_BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABMW13 View Post
Its Orient Blue, not oriental...i would let cure for a week (min), something my shop didn't tell me. Also I put a 3M invisible shield over my front bumper to help protect it some they have this for hoods, fenders, and head lamps. My shop told me that there is nothing i can really do to prevent hairline scratches on that blue other than to put that shield over it.
haha...thanks man! Yah, they are putting the clear bra (invisible shield) on tomorrow morning . Sweet car, BTW! I know that blue is a hard color to care for, but damn it looks good!
Old 01-06-2009, 01:05 AM   #13
LABMW13

My Ride: M3, 330i, '89 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_2_BMW View Post
haha...thanks man! Yah, they are putting the clear bra (invisible shield) on tomorrow morning . Sweet car, BTW! I know that blue is a hard color to care for, but damn it looks good!
Thanks, its my favorite blue from BMW along with Interlagos Blue. What kind of shop is putting the shield on? Most places I went to wouldn't touch the thing because its too much work to make it perfect.

M3: SSR GT3 Wheels, H&R Coilovers, JL 12" W6, Eisenmann 83mm, SS Headers, 4.10's, CF CSL Trunk & Diffuser, Euro Front Bumper, Hamann CF front lip, 3000k Fogs, NX 125 Shot
UUC Parts: SSBC Brakes, Lines, Sway bars, 8LB Flywheel, twin disc clutch, Evo 3 Shifter, RK7A Shift Knob, CF E-brake, Rasp-X Mid Pipes
Coming Soon: VRS Vented Race Hood & VCSL CF Roof Panel
LABMW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 PM   #14
New_2_BMW

Picked my car up today! Didn't realize how much I missed it. As for where to take it, start by asking the dealership. I took my car to the shop that my dealerships sends their bodywork to. They (body shop) in turn subcontracted out for the invisible shield...not cheap $600 for the shield and labor. I noticed that the shield is not like the one I originally had on there. The new one is cut different and seems to cover less. Don't know why.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #15
Shuskan3

My Ride: 2004 M3
Any pictures?
Hardwired V1 ~ Turner Motorsport Front and Rear Sways w/ Ground Control Endlinks ~ Powerflex RTAB’s ~ OEM BMW Performance SSK ~ ZHP Shift Knob ~ Painted Reflectors ~ Bluetooth ~ Satellite Radio ~ CDV Delete ~ Clutch Stop ~ Euro Tray ~ 19” CSL Wheels ~
18” OEM Wheels for the track

Shuskan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #16
New_2_BMW

Working on taking pictures this weekend.