E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Inspection Service reset for older models (1999 - 2000) ALTERNATE METHOD

Hi,

Along with my 01 330, I have a 99 328i and I was trying to reset the Inspection Service counter since I just changed my oil.

Well after spending way too long trying to jump pins 7 and 19 as mentioned in this DIY below, with no success, I found another way around it.
This is the DIY I tried to follow with no success:
http://www.my330i.com/lof.php
Quote:
A. Model Year 1999 to Mid-2000: You should have the older round 20-pin DLC connector under your hood behind the battery terminal, you need to use a small length of wire to connect (short) pins 7 and 19 for 3-5 seconds with the ignition key in position 1 (Accessory).
I searched all over this forum for an answer and finally figured it out.
Here's the solution, for those that have not yet figured it out.

Instead of trying to jump pin 7 (service indicator) with pin 19 (Ground)...... do this:

Jump a wire from Pin 7 and hold the other end of the wire to a ground on the car, like a bolt in the engine bay like the strut tower bolt.

Hold for 10-15 seconds while the key is in position 2.

There you go! All set!

This works way better than the 2 pin method.

Hope this helps someone out in the future.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #2
Kris.R

My Ride: 2012 Dodge Charger
Nice write-up bro!

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-Abraham Lincoln-
Kris.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #3
TKC

Thanks man! I just thought I'd put it up and save someone time in the future. If I knew this would have worked I could have saved myself a lot of time running between my car and e46fanatics
Old 06-15-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
radev87

My Ride: E46 318i SE
hello mate, I want to ask is this to reset only the service light ? can I somehow reset the engine maintance yellow light coz is on for no reason, I went to the garage 2 times they reset it for me and said there is no problem, so I want to reset it myself coz it came up again.
because I know that 3 secounds is for OIL service and 9 secounds for Engine service, but what do they mean by engine service, also in the other post they said that timing is very important otherwise it wont work, but you say to hold it for 10-15 secounds.

sorry about my english I am Bulgarian.
radev87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 03:17 PM   #5
TKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by radev87 View Post
hello mate, I want to ask is this to reset only the service light ? can I somehow reset the engine maintance yellow light coz is on for no reason, I went to the garage 2 times they reset it for me and said there is no problem, so I want to reset it myself coz it came up again.
because I know that 3 secounds is for OIL service and 9 secounds for Engine service, but what do they mean by engine service, also in the other post they said that timing is very important otherwise it wont work, but you say to hold it for 10-15 secounds.

sorry about my english I am Bulgarian.
What year is your car?
Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 PM   #6
dco5000

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323ci
Followed the instructions to the letter and worked perfectly on my 2000 323cic built 01/2000.
dco5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
grafiksguy

My Ride: 2010 328xi
These resets can be maddening. I've had resets go smoothly where I got it to work on the 2nd try and others where it seemed to take 20 minutes and endless tries. I've used copper electrical wire and all different ways of grounding the second wire (19). Personally I think it has less to do with quality of the "ground" (which is what the 19 pin is and the battery terminal can substitute for) and more to do with the OBC's sensitivity to the time duration of the reset. Seems like you need to get the timing just right. I've got a change coming up and I'm contemplating getting a Peake tool to make the process easier.
Old 09-18-2009, 12:22 AM   #8
e46bluehulk

My Ride: 99 e46 328i
I picked up a 99 328i about a month ago, and I just changed the oil today after learning how to from this forum (awesome site!). Anyways I tried the pin 7 and grounding for 10sec technique and on my gauge it went from "inspection XXXXX miles" to "oil service 15,525 miles." Well just wondering if I did it right?
e46bluehulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #9
TKC

Sorry, just saw your post. Yes, you did it right.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #10
darrenkellum

My Ride: 1999 BMW E46 318 CI
This just worked for me on a 1999 318 CI. Thanks!
darrenkellum is offline   Reply With Quote