E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-05-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
gray325

My Ride: '05 325xi
car smells like hot garbage...can't get rid of smell!

front passenger side carpeting stinks like a rotten, moldy sandwich (no idea why- carpeting got really wet from recent snow storm but it doesn't smell like mildew, it just smells like rotten food!)... Had the carpeting shampooed and then a few days later had the interior steam cleaned... still smells awful! just the passenger side carpeting (mostly front, smells a little in back but not sure if it's just wafting from the front).

I have two boxes of baking soda sitting on the carpeting itself and am going to vacuum it all up tomorrow... but if that doesn't work I need help with ideas of how to eliminate this odor.

I'm even considering replacing the carpeting completely- has anyone done this? (or have better ideas?)
gray325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
sounds like the episode of Seinfeld and his smelly 5 series

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #3
RangerX

My Ride: '03 330i / '04 Z4
Send a message via AIM to RangerX Send a message via MSN to RangerX
Quote:
Originally Posted by gray325 View Post
front passenger side carpeting stinks like a rotten, moldy sandwich (no idea why- carpeting got really wet from recent snow storm but it doesn't smell like mildew, it just smells like rotten food!)... Had the carpeting shampooed and then a few days later had the interior steam cleaned... still smells awful! just the passenger side carpeting (mostly front, smells a little in back but not sure if it's just wafting from the front).

I have two boxes of baking soda sitting on the carpeting itself and am going to vacuum it all up tomorrow... but if that doesn't work I need help with ideas of how to eliminate this odor.

I'm even considering replacing the carpeting completely- has anyone done this? (or have better ideas?)
Dead body?

That sucks, pull the carpet up perhaps and check?

RangerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #4
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
does the girl friend ride without shoes on?

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
SHK&BAK3

My Ride: rustles jimmies
Old 01-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
Team_Persia

My Ride: '05 ZHP 'Vert - SOLD
febreze works wonders
Old 01-05-2009, 08:30 PM   #7
gray325

My Ride: '05 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwclubofquebec View Post
sounds like the episode of Seinfeld and his smelly 5 series
That's exactly how I feel... i'm getting paranoid that I smell like rotten sandwich whenever I drive it now!!

anyone know where I can find replacement carpeting (curious to see what it will cost)... and also how hard is it to take up the carpeting...?
gray325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
Mike@F1 Autohaüs
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 330ci
You need to stop gettin' booty in that back seat. You should learn how to leave the windows down to let the stink out!
Mike@F1 Autohaüs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Change your cabin filter?
The filter where your windshield meets your hood/dash?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:53 PM   #10
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
Lift up your carpet and clean up the pool of "hot garbage" from the floor pan. Might as well pressure wash you entire carpet too.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #11
mimalmo

My Ride: 04 330i ZHP 6MT
Remove the front seat since most of the smell is from that area. It comes out with just a few bolts and allows you to make sure you get this done once and for all. Do all of your cleaning stuff again but make sure that you get the carpet and pad as dry as possible.

Leave too much water in there and it will get nasty smelling again. Anybody that has accidentally left a load of washed clothes in the washing machine for a couple days knows what I mean. All that wet fabric without a way to effectively dry gets stanky no matter how clean it was when wet.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
ProchaineStation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
Remove the front seat since most of the smell is from that area. It comes out with just a few bolts and allows you to make sure you get this done once and for all. Do all of your cleaning stuff again but make sure that you get the carpet and pad as dry as possible.

Leave too much water in there and it will get nasty smelling again. Anybody that has accidentally left a load of washed clothes in the washing machine for a couple days knows what I mean. All that wet fabric without a way to effectively dry gets stanky no matter how clean it was when wet.
yea bacteria likes water

Old 01-05-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
glovesoff

My Ride: 1999 328i
you know, we could help you better if you posted a video

Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM   #14
sgtfury40

My Ride: 2003 325i
Had a convertible once and left the top down overnight. Cat got and pissed on the passenger floorboard. Replaced the carpet. Nothing worked to effectively get the smell out. You will most likely have to do this, because now you are over-sensitive to the smell and it's gonna drive you crazy.
sgtfury40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
sean96gsr

My Ride: '08 135i
The smell should come out of the carpet, no need to buy a new one. Remove the passenger seat so you can really get at the carpet.

Mix OxyClean with a little dish detergent and a lot of water in a bucket. Use a scrub brush and scrub the **** out of that carpet. Then scrub with fresh water to get rid of any soapiness left in the carpet. The carpet should be pretty wet now. Lift up the carpet and clean underneath. Now blot the carpet and the floor underneath with lots of clean towels. Dry it with a hairdryer. That should do the trick.

<---- worked part time at a detail shop in college.

Currently running: 330i ZHP w/ Dr.Vanos Kit & UUC TSE3

Last edited by sean96gsr; 01-05-2009 at 09:53 PM.
sean96gsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:48 AM   #16
light403

My Ride: 330ci
I had some weird fish smell in my carpets before and it went away over time and if its hot then just leave your windows open a little to air it out, it may take a week or so but it will eventually go away or you could just leave it outside in the sun. Thats what I did to my carpets in the summer.
light403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:24 AM   #17
ProchaineStation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfury40 View Post
Had a convertible once and left the top down overnight. Cat got and pissed on the passenger floorboard. Replaced the carpet. Nothing worked to effectively get the smell out. You will most likely have to do this, because now you are over-sensitive to the smell and it's gonna drive you crazy.
you sure it was a cat and not some jealous yaris owner?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #18
Crashspeeder

My Ride: 2004 TiAg M3
Send a message via ICQ to Crashspeeder Send a message via AIM to Crashspeeder Send a message via MSN to Crashspeeder Send a message via Yahoo to Crashspeeder
Someone threw up in my car and that cleaned right up. It took all summer but the smell went away. I cleaned the hell out of it and she later rented a carpet shampooer and went to town on the carpet on the passenger side. Like I said, it took some time but it went away once it was cleaned thoroughly. Are you sure it's the carpet? You may want to thoroughly inspect the car and find the source of the smell before you start "fixing" what aint broke.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #19
samBROchill330i

My Ride: Dinan 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
Change your cabin filter?
The filter where your windshield meets your hood/dash?
DIY in sig or gtfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean96gsr View Post
The smell should come out of the carpet, no need to buy a new one. Remove the passenger seat so you can really get at the carpet.

Mix OxyClean with a little dish detergent and a lot of water in a bucket. Use a scrub brush and scrub the **** out of that carpet. Then scrub with fresh water to get rid of any soapiness left in the carpet. The carpet should be pretty wet now. Lift up the carpet and clean underneath. Now blot the carpet and the floor underneath with lots of clean towels. Dry it with a hairdryer. That should do the trick.

+1
Wheels: Staggered 19" V710s on T1Rs
samBROchill330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #20
matterhorn

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean96gsr View Post

+1 - should also check to see if the insulation in and around that area is affected as well - you can clean the carpet all you want, but if the insulation is nasty then you are still going to have the smell for quite a while ...
matterhorn is offline   Reply With Quote