E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to DiceyOne
Question Does ABS Sensor = Wheel Speed Sensor?

Okay simple question. Are wheel speed sensors the same thing as ABS sensors?

I had my car at the dealership years ago when DSC light and brake light were on. The report was that it was a bad right rear wheel speed sensor. Of course immediately after i had this scanned all of the warning lights turned off so i figured the problem sorted itself out and i never fixed it. Currently i still get the same warning on average one time every four or five months. I decided to just replace the stupid thing anyway since it was on my to-do list and i price checked a few well known places online and the part costs ~$100 ($106 on realoem p/n 34521164652). yesterday i was at the dealership picking up a small cable for my SRS and asked the guy to give me a price check on that same p/n. It came back as being $18 and in stock! I asked him to double check and it was true. This made me believe that I could have the wrong p/n or i didn't know what a rear wheel speed sensor actually was since i was just assuming that it was an ABS sensor.

So am i making an error thinking the ABS sensor and the speed sensor are the same thing? Did the dealership make an error when pricing this part?

thanks,
-joe
DiceyOne is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Sam 330ci

My Ride: 03 530i
Send a message via AIM to Sam 330ci
Not exactly.

I have replaced the wheel speed sensor ($99), which, if broken, brings with it the DSC/BRAKE/ABS light. This is likely what went off for you every four or five months.

The brake PAD sensor ($9) is different and simply trips when your pads are toast. The light this brings is a different light than the ABS light on your dash. The ABS light is the yellow "ABS" letters lit up, but the brake pad light is a circle with two smaller semi-circles on the left and right side of it, also yellow.

Both are in the same area (behind the wheel, brake rotor area,) both look similar, but are priced as I pointed out and perform different functions.

HTH.

-Sam
Old 01-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam 325i View Post
Not exactly.

I have replaced the wheel speed sensor ($99), which, if broken, brings with it the DSC/BRAKE/ABS light. This is likely what went off for you every four or five months.

The brake PAD sensor ($9) is different and simply trips when your pads are toast. The light this brings is a different light than the ABS light on your dash. The ABS light is the yellow "ABS" letters lit up, but the brake pad light is a circle with two smaller semi-circles on the left and right side of it, also yellow.

Both are in the same area (behind the wheel, brake rotor area,) both look similar, but are priced as I pointed out and perform different functions.

HTH.

-Sam

thanks but i am definitely not talking about the pad wear sensor. I gave the parts guy at the dealership a part number to look up (34521164652), and he wrote down for me, $18 plus tax. I also have the result sheet from the scan from bmw and it clearly states "right rear wheel speed sensor".

-joe
Old 01-06-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
Sam 330ci

Old 01-06-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
DesertMotorWorks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2004 330CI
Yes, the ABS Sensor and the Wheel Speed Sensor are both the same part.
DesertMotorWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertMotorWorks View Post
Thanks for the quick and reassuring response. I will certainly be buying this at the dealership. I might even buy a few of them and pawn some on Ebay to cover the cost of my own.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
Sam 330ci

I got mine at Tischer for $80 or so..I'd recommend them.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:32 PM   #8
Jason@Tischer
Your #1 OEM BMW Part Source

My Ride: '02 Dinan 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Jason@Tischer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertMotorWorks View Post
This man speaks the trufe. They are one in the same.

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Jason at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter | YouTube
Jason@Tischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM   #9
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
Wheel speed sensor is a wheel speed sensor ABS sensor is to generic of a term and could mean ABS wheel speed sensor. Could also be any number of 8 or more other sensors or components in the ABS system

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
cheech320

My Ride: Is TiAg
Ya they are the same part just different names.
There is now way the dealer is going to sell this part for that price unless they made a mistake, in which case you are going to end up getting the wrong part.
Who knows though youn may get lucky if they just have the wrong price listed in the ERA system.

Photobucket
cheech320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
DiceyOne
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech320 View Post
Ya they are the same part just different names.
There is now way the dealer is going to sell this part for that price unless they made a mistake, in which case you are going to end up getting the wrong part.
Who knows though youn may get lucky if they just have the wrong price listed in the ERA system.
I am fairly certain that the mistake is on their end. If the roads are not too icy tomorrow I will venture out that way and try to purchase the sensor. All I know is that they are selling p/n 34521164652 which it part #21 here

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...40&hg=33&fg=30

for $18. If it indeed looks like this

http://catalog.autohausaz.com/autoha...0194510ATE.JPG

then i will buy it and run like hell.

-Joe

Last edited by DiceyOne; 01-06-2009 at 05:32 PM.