E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Bavaryan

My Ride: 330i w/out park.
Upgrading suspension on Sport Package 330i

Trying to figure out which way to go with suspension. Car has 160k on it, sport package and all original suspension components except LCAB.

Looking for a slight drop(1" or so from the sport package ride height). Car will not be daily driven and will only be used on weekends/cruises/occasional track use(autox most likely, maybe some road racing practices etc).

Like to be around 600.00 for the combo, and also looking for tips on what other bushings I need to be replacing at this mileage. I figure I'll go poly for the LCAB this time around, new front control arms, but what else? The rear stuff seems like a royal PIA so unless I really need to I'd like to avoid, however if necessary will rebuild as well. I'm budgeting for about 1k in rebuild crap(separate from springs/struts/shocks) as far as bushings, control arms etc.

Thanks In Advance,

Last edited by Bavaryan; 12-01-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Bavaryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Tbone8ty

My Ride: 2003 330i
powerflex RTABs

endlinks and swaybar bushings

Black 2003 BMW 330i 5-spd Sport Package
Tbone8ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #3
Bavaryan

Power flex for all of those?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #4
Tbone8ty

no just rtabs,

end-links and sway bar bushings u could go stock. depending on what u want.

i really noticed powerflex rtabs....definitely recommended those. plus they will last alot longer and alot easier to replace.

also check rear shock mounts.

there are alot more bushing to replace but those are the main ones i can think of...

RTAB, FCAB, rear shock mounts, endlinks and sway bar bushings.

Last edited by Tbone8ty; 12-01-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Bavaryan

Thanks, this is not a cost be damned rebuild project so I appreciate the main items. I'll most likely be replacing all subframe bushings too when I install reinforcement kit and new diff, but not trying to get crazy and replace every bushing on the car!

Old 12-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Tbone8ty

oh i agree im in the same boat.

just do the main ones. im thinking about doing front shock mount bushings now.

but i was particularly impressed with poly urethane RTAB bushings (powerflex) u could go other brand or OEM

can really feel the difference. though mine were pretty sloppy.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
Tbone8ty

oh and for struts and springs...

i have stock springs and bilstein's...its a pretty good setup but no drop.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
Bavaryan

What is your mileage at?

Old 12-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
Tbone8ty

i have 147k

i did lemforder FCABs and lower control arms, powerflex RTABs, and RSM rear shock mounts at around 135k.

bilstein's were put on around 90-100k

it handles very nice...still looking for a little more so I may do a swaybar setup. that's why i mentioned new end-links and bushings because that might be all it will take to stiffen it up again.

then eventually coil overs (but don't have extra money for that yet...maybe when the bilstein's crap out)

eventually i will have to do all the other small little control bushings

Last edited by Tbone8ty; 12-01-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #10
bee-em-dougle-u

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG5384 View Post
Trying to figure out which way to go with suspension. Car has 160k on it, sport package and all original suspension components except LCAB.

Looking for a slight drop(1" or so from the sport package ride height). Car will not be daily driven and will only be used on weekends/cruises/occasional track use(autox most likely, maybe some road racing practices etc).

Like to be around 600.00 for the combo, and also looking for tips on what other bushings I need to be replacing at this mileage. I figure I'll go poly for the LCAB this time around, new front control arms, but what else? The rear stuff seems like a royal PIA so unless I really need to I'd like to avoid, however if necessary will rebuild as well. I'm budgeting for about 1k in rebuild crap(separate from springs/struts/shocks) as far as bushings, control arms etc.

Thanks In Advance,
If you want an upgrade rather than just a restoration, you might try bigger anti-roll bars. I put a set of Turners on my car (27 mm front, 21 mm rear, pretty close to stock M3 bar dimensions) and I'm thrilled with the results. They do impact ride quality a bit, but man, my car corners flat! (mine's a non-Sport package, but with H&R Sport springs and Bilstein Sport shocks).

2002 BMW 325i sedan
Manual gearbox, but of course!
Tasteful mods
127K miles and counting
bee-em-dougle-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #11
Bavaryan

Sways are an interesting idea, but I think I want a slight drop as well. I'm having no luck figuring out which springs would accomplish what I'm after though as they all compare to non sport suspension models.

Old 12-10-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
Check out the Koni Shocks with Eibach springs. I believe they give about 1" drop on sport suspensions. I recall reading another thread on this recently. I know Tire Rack has them and may have additional info on amount of drop.
Max'd out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Probably out of your price range but you should read about the Koni FSD setup. Hands down on the the best setups that don't compromise the ride quality. At the end of the day you can upgrade all your other parts but if you don't have a good strut/spring setup to match its pointless. It's like having super light weight wheels wrapped with budget tires.

As for bushings, you need to ask yourself what you really want. If the car is going to be used as an everyday, stick with OEM. If you plan to drive only as a weekend/track car, the Polys might be the better option. Both are good options, just depends on how you plan to use the car.
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:25 PM   #14
Bavaryan

More interested in performance and road feel than comfort. Decided on a drop just trying to figure out which combo to go with. I have also decided on poly for rtabs, rear diff mounts and fcabs. meyle hd control arms will also be fitted. I'm thinking stock for steering links and maybe some upgraded sways depending on how much I blow on the engine and cosmetics.

My goal is t have an ultimate driving machine that makes me happy to have a dedicated dd for my daily use.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
SoCaLe39

My Ride: 06 M5 & 03 325i
Which combos are you looking at?
SoCaLe39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
bimmernate

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
eibach pro kit is MINIMAL drop for cars with sports suspension. Basically, the front drops 0.75" and the rear drop is negligible. You will still have fender gap all the way around. How far do you want to go?

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills
bimmernate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:13 PM   #17
Bavaryan

Maybe a wheel gap of one finger at most, so I'd guess about an inch lower than stock sport pkg. I have a list written down at home but can't remember, pro kit was on there and I think h&r race.

Last edited by Bavaryan; 12-12-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #18
bimmernate

Quote:
Maybe a wheel gap of one finger at most, so I'd guess about an inch lower than stock sport pkg. I have a list written down at home but can't remember, pro kit was on there and I think h&r race.

Eibach pro kit is basically a wheel gap of 1 finger in the rear and 1.5 fingers in the front. H&R race drop is going to be much more than the eibach. (but ride quality will be compromised)

2003 330i ZHP 6MT
Performance: Koni Sport Struts/Shocks, Eibach Pro-Kit, 17x9 Apex ARC-8, TMS Sway bars, M3 Strut Brace

Aesthetics/Functionality: TSX Projector retrofit, 20% Tint, OEM Aux Input, Clear corners, LED taillights, M3 Steering wheel, Black kidney grills

Last edited by bimmernate; 12-12-2013 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
Bavaryan

Anything between the two? Not wanting to slam it just a more aggressive look with improved handling. When done right I'm thinking the ride quality won't be too terrible , am I being delusional?

Last edited by Bavaryan; 12-12-2013 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #20
bimmernate

Quote:
Anything between the two? Not wanting to slam it just a more aggressive look with improved handling. When done right I'm thinking the ride quality won't be too terrible , am I being delusional?

Are you going to continue running 17s? If so I think you would actually be the happiest with the H&R race or eibach sportlines since they will drop you more to where you want and the ride quality shouldn't be too bad. I have not found anything really in between. I really like my setup, great combination between handling and comfort, but I think you'd think that it is still a tad too high.

2003 330i ZHP 6MT

Last edited by bimmernate; 12-14-2013 at 01:24 PM.