E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 03:03 AM   #1
DHNT2005

My Ride: is a money pit.
Clear coat chipping in some areas - Help!

There are two areas on my car that have obvious clear coat chipping. I bought this car used from an Acura dealership here in Portland, and it looks like the car originated in New York. I garage my car, so I don't understand why it would be chipping. Does anyone know how to fix this? or do I need a repaint?
DHNT2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 AM   #2
DetailDan

My Ride: Jeep
Send a message via AIM to DetailDan
It has to be repainted.
DetailDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 PM   #3
DHNT2005

just a layer of clear coat?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:24 AM   #4
Steve@ASPTuning
ASPTuning

My Ride: 01' 320i
Is your clear coat like flaking off? or like rock chips?

If their rock chips you should get the Dr. Color Chip repair kit. It works wonders!
http://drcolorchip.com/

Thanks,
Steven
ASPTuning
Steve@ASPTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 AM   #5
Ian B

My Ride: 2003 330 Clubsport
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHNT2005 View Post
There are two areas on my car that have obvious clear coat chipping. I bought this car used from an Acura dealership here in Portland, and it looks like the car originated in New York. I garage my car, so I don't understand why it would be chipping. Does anyone know how to fix this? or do I need a repaint?
This is what you need to find a friendly, reliable SMART repair guy for !
Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
DHNT2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@ASPTuning View Post
Is your clear coat like flaking off? or like rock chips?

If their rock chips you should get the Dr. Color Chip repair kit. It works wonders!
http://drcolorchip.com/

Thanks,
Steven
ASPTuning
Its starting to flake off, it wasn't as bad before but it starting to really become noticeable. I am also noticing really tiny bubbles in the clear coat within the same area. I'm starting to think that this car had been repainted... question is, are dealerships such as Acura allowed to sell a car like this...?

but about Dr. Colorchip, I was thinking of purchasing this when the weather gets a little better... I could use some work on my hood lol!

Ian, did you mean someone like a technician or someone of that sort to have been there before I purchased the car from the dealership?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Some times clear coat just fail.......For no rhyme or reason
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #8
DHNT2005

My clear coat = fail

rather than getting my car painted, do you guys think I can buy BMW touch up paint which comes with the clearcoat bottle and apply some that way?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
M0nk3y
Banned

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
My clear coat = fail

rather than getting my car painted, do you guys think I can buy BMW touch up paint which comes with the clearcoat bottle and apply some that way?
No, once Clear Coat Failure has occured, the only way is to repaint..........
M0nk3y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
Ian B

My Ride: 2003 330 Clubsport
Quote:
Its starting to flake off, it wasn't as bad before but it starting to really become noticeable. I am also noticing really tiny bubbles in the clear coat within the same area. I'm starting to think that this car had been repainted... question is, are dealerships such as Acura allowed to sell a car like this...?

but about Dr. Colorchip, I was thinking of purchasing this when the weather gets a little better... I could use some work on my hood lol!

Ian, did you mean someone like a technician or someone of that sort to have been there before I purchased the car from the dealership?
My local BMW dealership (I wouldn't use them for anything else mind !) have a SMART repair team, they can do small areas like scuffs, scratches, stone chipped areas and blend them into the existing paint. I am not sure exactly how they do it but they always look great and you can't even tell that it was done. Unless you are talking about tiny little rock chips which you can fill with touchup and polish flat, you need to get the area properly repaired. Over here it normally cost 80 - 100 as they normally need to go up to a crease/line/joint in the body, otherwise it may be noticeable. But so far I have had some done on bumper, wings and body (both plastic and metal areas) and the results are amazing !