E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2003, 08:31 PM   #1
pimpinCI

My Ride: E46er323ci
do radar detectors work with a tinted windshield??

do radar detectors work with a tinted windshield??

Thanks
pimpinCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2003, 08:39 PM   #2
Keeferno
Mod Junkie

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Yes they work, it shouldn't decrease the performance with radar too much. As far as detecting laser however, that is cut significantly.

PS - I don't know about the laws where you are but I'd be getting pulled over every five minutes if I tinted my windshield.
Keeferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 08:41 PM   #3
pimpinCI

once they get you in radar though, it's over. Just pull the car over and accept it.

lol
Old 02-18-2003, 08:45 PM   #4
Keeferno
Mod Junkie

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Once they get you on laser it's over, not necessarily so with radar unless it's instant on. The older types you can detect for miles before they are actually timing your car.
Keeferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:36 PM   #5
pimpinCI

RIGHT, that's what I meant to say....whoops.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:38 PM   #6
Solidsnake
Banned

My Ride: Green Civic Coupe
Send a message via AIM to Solidsnake Send a message via Yahoo to Solidsnake
Just don't tint the windows. Enjoy the stock look, besides the chicks want to know who is driving that sweet ride.
Solidsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 09:40 PM   #7
Malladawg
Beware of pwner

My Ride: 2000 323I OrientBlau
Send a message via AIM to Malladawg Send a message via MSN to Malladawg Send a message via Yahoo to Malladawg
I think it will work, but if you get the metallic tint it will definately decrease the performance.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:42 PM   #8
pimpinCI

Too late for that. I have had these things tinted for a while. It gets WAY to hot in Miami and on top of thet having black car doesn't help.
Besides having the windows tinted gives ME the option to talk with the girls I want to talk to. I ignore those i don't want to talk to and roll down the windows to all the others.

LOL
Old 02-18-2003, 09:52 PM   #9
Henry47

My Ride: w202 c280
Is your FRONT windshield tinted? If it is then it will only affect it a bit (assuming you did light tint on the front windshield) but if you didn't tint the front windshield you have nothing to worry about. With my v1, I don't worry about where the signals coming from, if it's on me, it's on me. If you're talking about the rear window's tint blocking the signal that's nothing to worry about because cops aren't going to try to clock you from behind. (if ya get what im trying to say.)
Henry47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:12 PM   #10
BobbyBimmer

My Ride: 2003 325i
Depends on the tint material used. A metallic tint will definitely mess with radar detector. stick with lumar or 3m non metallic. As for tinted front, I have a limo tint strip on my front that comes down about 2inches lower than the bottom of the mirror base and my v1 hides right behind that. It doesnt affect performance and I'm also running limo tint on back window and both back doors and 30% on both front doors
BobbyBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2003, 11:22 PM   #11
pimpinCI

True.....thanks for the info. I have a long a$$ trip to make form Boston to Miami and I need a radar.