E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 05:06 PM   #1
HardTech

My Ride: 330CI ZHP
Trying to figure out why my car is worth now. (Not what you think)

Ok, this isnt asking what I should sell my car at. I know look at all the books and blah blah blah. No this is related to an insurance issue.

I was involved in a accident last year on July 5th. Long story short is girl tries to hit me and does and almost tries running me into a concrete barrier at 70 mph , then runs, gets tracked down by me and witness. Girl is cute so cops let her go without so much as a warning. She NEVER files it with her insurance. While waiting for the police report I have to file on mine. They pay for all the repairs but I cant sue due to it being my own or file diminished value claim. Finely 3 months go by and my insurance ships it off to the other. They said the claim is done and they paid.

The insurance is still going as they other company has finely gotten to "Diminished Value" claim (after months of yelling). They told me if the car is repaired correctly then I have nothing to fight on. They are coming to look at the car Tuesday and need to provide something for my defense in claiming this.

I say since its a 2005 CPO its going against other CPO's that have no accident history. I would think any buyer/dealer would take off 1-2k for knowing it had a 5k+ accident. None of the online stuff offers what an accident does to the value of the car. This accident resulted in 50% of the car being resprayed. (front bumper, hood, front right fender, rear bumper, rear right fender, trunk). It also included getting the front suspension fixed, and a wheel fixed and re-painted.

What do you say guys, im not sure how I would prove anything. But I would say 10-15% the value of the car.

Like I said, I wish I could have sued her, he she ran, then got off from the cops even with a witness. Never claimed it with her insurance and said it never happened even with a police report filed. That day sucked because she stopped me from seeing a friend who I have not seen in 5 years. He off in the military and only gets home about once every 5 years.
HardTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
First off, your writing is fuxxored.

Second, and it might be too late but, your best bet is to probably contact a lawyer.

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:30 PM   #3
HardTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIDLOCK View Post

Second, and it might be too late but, your best bet is to probably contact a lawyer.
lawyers cost money... being unemployed well kills that ability. Unless anyone here wants to take it on. It is a VERY open and shut chase. Police reports point it to her fault, and the witness said she hit me, ran me off the road and then ran. Its a open close case.

As for the writing being f'ed up, meh so it is. All I strive for on the forum is that it can be understood.

And for the people that says its to long, to hard to read here is simple take.

Teen hits and tries to kill me in car.
My insurance pays, so I cant file extras.
Her insurance pays mine and says its done.
I tell them I had a diminished value claim and the honor that.

With 50% of the car being resprayed and 5k+ damaged how do i prove my car is worth less than another CPO that has no accident report or any re-spray?
Old 01-10-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
GRIDLOCK

My Ride: E36 / E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardTech View Post
It is a VERY open and shut chase.

And for the people that says its to long, to hard to read here is simple take.

Teen hits and tries to kill me in car.
My insurance pays, so I cant file extras.
Her insurance pays mine and says its done.
I tell them I had a diminished value claim and the honor that.
If it's a "VERY open and shut chase", who was chasing who?

Teen hits and tries to kill me in car You would have to prove that in a court of law.

My insurance pays, so I cant file extras. Oh well, sounds like your screwed there.

Her insurance pays mine and says its done. Oh well.

Have an EVAP code? Replacing gas cap did not fix? Give me a holler, I can do a smoke test for ya.
GRIDLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #5
inlinesicks

My Ride: E46, Jeep, Subaru
Quote:
inlinesicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #6
HardTech

Quote:
If it's a "VERY open and shut chase", who was chasing who?

Teen hits and tries to kill me in car You would have to prove that in a court of law.

My insurance pays, so I cant file extras. Oh well, sounds like your screwed there.

Her insurance pays mine and says its done. Oh well.
Bah.. case if thats better?

I can prove it... witness statement.. Again lawyer cost $$$ unless i can pay in fruit.

I had the rent car for about 2-3 weeks before my insurance even got the police report. 27.80 x 18 = 500+ before I could even get anyone to pay anything. I didn't have 500 and could not deal with this at the time due to purchasing a house. So let my ins pay for it because atleast that way it would be sitting on them. I still came out of pocket $60 at the end of it all due to this, could have been worse as they tried to stick a weeks worth on me.

Again none of this matter unless a lawyer here wants to do something. How do I go about finding out how much less my CPO is worth vs a clean history one.

You tell me guys if I was selling the car and you where buying it, and the carfax report showed a 5k+ accident. How much less would you offer than a completely clean one?

For reference its a 2005 330CI ZHP (Auto)
Old 01-10-2009, 11:03 PM   #7
HardTech

Anyone work at a dealership or anyone gone this route?
Old 01-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
vladvm

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardTech View Post
You tell me guys if I was selling the car and you where buying it, and the carfax report showed a 5k+ accident. How much less would you offer than a completely clean one?

For reference its a 2005 330CI ZHP (Auto)

I won't even pursue the purchase and look somewhere else. A $5k+ accident can mean $20k for all I know. You should just keep the car.

BMW 325i
vladvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:17 AM   #9
ToddInLou

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
Being right isn't the issue unfortunatly. It's being right in court that matters. I doubt her insurance really wants to take care of you, why would they as you aren't thier client! Look on the bright side that you were not hurt. I was in an accident in my truck and the teen girl's insurance will not even pay my medical and PT bills. Lost value on your car isn't easy to get in most states. I think the only way you will get anywhere is in the court system but first if all you are after is lost value look up if your state recognizes lost value claims as not all states do.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
thatsonlyme

My Ride: 2001 330Ci Sport pkg
moral of the story is: if you hit someone, just run, don't file a police report and just deny anything happened. sad but true.
thatsonlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
chasz17

My Ride: 2005 645Cic
If it was repaired CORRECTLY, using BMW OEM parts, you insurance company warrantys the repair for life. A reputable dealer, on a trade, will not give you less, again if it was repaired correctly.
By the way, good luck on a diminished value claim if all of the above conditions are met. It is VERY rare that you will prevail.
BTW, I am the sales manager at a very large dealership.
I hope it all works out for you.
chasz17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
HardTech

Good to see an answer, I have posted a few other places and it seems dealerships have no issues but private parties do. But 60% of the private parties that ive spoken to wouldn't even put an offer on it, the other 40% dont care as long as I provide where/how it was repaired.

The biggest problem I guess for me is it kept its CPO status because she only damaged parts that didn't have to be welded, or the frame directly.

This is gonna be a hard issue to get through, because obviously it has hurt the sale of this car private party wise but not dealership wise. Ultimately this car accident cost me my job, seeing a friend for 5 years, and selling the car out right. Thanks for the inputs though, it may help me pick how I will fight this battle.

If i could go back in time I would have gotten her or my self in the back of the cruiser(heh i would have felt better if i smacked her). Why with my story, as well as an eye witness she got served nothing is beyond me. Then to never report it and tell my insurance company I was lying...

Her - Win
Witness - Fail
Cops - Fail
USSA - Fail
Farmers - Fail
Me - Fail
Old 01-12-2009, 01:56 AM   #13
TxTorqueMade

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via Yahoo to TxTorqueMade
I truly dont understand all the drama. Firstly, why did a teenage girl try to "kill" you. Secondly, life sucks sometimes. If your car is running and no problems, keep it. If you want to sell it, sell it. Who knows, there is probably noob just around the corner that never heard of Carfax.

Me....... I'd just move on bud.
TxTorqueMade is offline   Reply With Quote