E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #1
TheMagicalHindu

My Ride: '99 323ci +'00 328i
So I'm the victim of a hit and run.. and my car is totaled

So yesterday I went to DC and parked my car on a street at 11AM and left it there for the day, came back at around 9PM and my car looked like this:

Went to einstein BMW and Maaco and my car is apparently totaled and MY INSURANCE WON'T COVER IT

Well ****. My car runs perfectly well (drove it back from DC to the body shop, etc. etc.). There is coolant leaking though. So I guess I shouldn't drive long distances (and I've decided not to drive at all).

So after bitching for about a day and some change I've decided to make the best out of this opportunity and try to fix it or at the very least part it out since everything works. So in this thread I will follow my progress for anyone who is interested.

Step 1: Take everything off on the front that I can and identify the problem(s).

Problem 1: Headlights. They work fine, turn on and off and whatever but the clips at the top are broken. REF IMAGE

Problem 2: Hood/grills/etc. gonna buy a new one, whatever.

Problem 3: Coolant leaking. It seems to be coming from the lower radiator hose, but I haven't identified it for sure yet. Here are some images, anyone know what it could be? 1 2

Problem 4: Bumper is undamaged, good news! But I need to remove it though, and the two long screws seem to be stuck. Maybe I am too weak to remove them, but I think they are bent from the top side? Not sure ( REF IMAGE of screws -from online, not mine obviously ). Any suggestions?

Problem 5: Hole in my air intake REF IMAGE. Easy fix

Problem 6: Secondary air intake is missing clips and is very loose (was existing issue before this 'accident') REF IMAGE

Problem 7: The radiator got pushed into the connection between the engine and something, I'm not sure what it's for, is broken. REF IMAGE Anyone know what this is?

Problem 8: I have no idea what the **** I'm doing. The harded DIY I've done to this point is like washing my car.

Problem 9: Windshield washer fluid thingy doesn't work. (Existing problem). It was leaking but it worked but then I took it out and fixed the leak and it stopped leaking but stopped working... I think I might have got cold air into the system which supposedly can freeze the spray nozzles or something. Not sure.

Final Problem: It's about to rain badly. This is what my car looks like on the front. There are exposed electrical connections (like head light bulbs, nothing major). Is this an issue? REF IMAGES: 1 2 3

GOOD THINGS:
1) Hood works, latches and everything. Even need to use my latch release under the steering wheel for it.
2) Car runs well.
3) Headlights may not need to be replaced since they do work well and only 2 of the 4 bolts are broken.
4) Radiator (metal part) seems to be undamaged.
5) Front fan, all blades are working running/rotating fine, not damaged.
6) I get new things Might upgrade my hood and lights to angel eyes and maybe a paint job, body kit? tints? who knows!? If I get the radiator fixed and everything, I'm going to have some fun with this.

Last edited by TheMagicalHindu; 04-14-2014 at 05:20 PM.
TheMagicalHindu is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-14-2014, 05:13 PM   #2
TheMagicalHindu

SHORT VERSION OF WHAT IS WRONG:
Old 04-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
TheMagicalHindu

This is the biggest issue, I have no idea what it is/how to start on fixing it. Tips appreciated.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
lszlszx

My Ride: 328i, XC70
I can't believe the sonfbitch drove away after doing that. Any security cameras nearby?
The piece that broke is the connector for the front fan.

The push pins for the air intake that you can't take out, pull the pin in the center with pliers, it's that simple.

Last edited by lszlszx; 04-14-2014 at 10:16 PM.
lszlszx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
sneakyRedPanda

My Ride: 2004 325i
Send a message via Skype™ to sneakyRedPanda
Yeah, you need to ask the nearby buildings and check for security cameras. Those rivets you pointed out, use needlenose pliers and pull the center pin up, that will let you pull the whole rivet out.

Nexus 7 In-Dash DIY /// 2004 325i /// Titansilber /// Style 72 /// Angel Eyes, HID Projectors
sneakyRedPanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakyRedPanda View Post
Yeah, you need to ask the nearby buildings and check for security cameras. Those rivets you pointed out, use needlenose pliers and pull the center pin up, that will let you pull the whole rivet out.
Good luck trying to get any security camera footage. My car was damaged right underneath a security camera and nobody would do anything to look at the footage. I contacted the police, the people that owned the building, and my insurance company, nobody cared or did anything to help.

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:46 AM   #7
TheMagicalHindu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason330cic View Post
Good luck trying to get any security camera footage. My car was damaged right underneath a security camera and nobody would do anything to look at the footage. I contacted the police, the people that owned the building, and my insurance company, nobody cared or did anything to help.
That is my experience right now too.. but it was a residential part of DC so few cameras in the area. Police/insurance are no help.

I got a '99 323i today, thinking I could take out the radiator/hood etc, because I got it cheap because ALL the dash lights and everything was on...

But **** it turns out that the guy had just installed a new battery and he gave up on it? Half the lights went off on my drive home and I went to autozone to get the codes read and I only got one code (low transmission fluid).

Myabe I should just keep this car?

Old 04-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #8
TheMagicalHindu

If anyone is curious you can take a broken window regulator off a 323i and swap it for a working one from a 328i.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
TheMagicalHindu

Ehh little stuck here. Can't access one of the radiator screws because of the way the impact was ... Anyways here's where I am now.

Had to remove the bumper in an unorthodox way as well, might have to replace the whole thing.. it looks alright from the exterior but bent a little on the inside.. which will mean a new hood/hood latch probably won't line up when the new hood/etc arrives so I will have to replace that as well.. I guess I won't have as much pocket money for a little bit

Here's some more pictures http://imgur.com/a/IenLd

Last edited by TheMagicalHindu; 05-07-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:55 AM   #10
TheMagicalHindu

Also if anyone is curious a 328i GM5 works on 323i without any issues.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #11
lilmenace91
OEM ///Member

My Ride: hookedup CIVIC Si
Send a message via AIM to lilmenace91
dude perfect opportunity to facelift your car bro.

the removal for all the damaged stuff doesnt look too bad.. few bolts screws tabs ... i think u can use this situation to make ur bitch extra hot. extra new lookin'

-------------------------------------------------------
E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
window tints 35% all around
dynavin w/ android

^^^^^ this is upsetting i need more to add to the list.
lilmenace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
TheMagicalHindu

Thats the plan

I think I'm gonna swap the tranny while I'm in here, it neeeds to be done.
Old 05-07-2014, 04:55 PM   #13
lilmenace91
OEM ///Member

My Ride: hookedup CIVIC Si
Send a message via AIM to lilmenace91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagicalHindu View Post
Thats the plan

I think I'm gonna swap the tranny while I'm in here, it neeeds to be done.
keep us posted on the progress. i m really psyched to see how it turns out.

best wishes

-------------------------------------------------------
E46 330Ci 2004
sports pkg
cold weather pkg
window tints 35% all around
dynavin w/ android

^^^^^ this is upsetting i need more to add to the list.
lilmenace91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
TheMagicalHindu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmenace91 View Post
keep us posted on the progress. i m really psyched to see how it turns out.

best wishes
I definitely will. Got a weird problem today... not sure what the cause is but the car won't turn over. It clicks like there is a weak battery but my multimeter seems to think that isn't the case.

I'm going to try the battery from my other one later today after work.

Possible causes:
1) Battery. I think this is very likely considering I haven't driven this car so I do have the potential battery drain without it being recharged while driving..

2) I don't have a GM5 in this car at all, I don't think that should stop me from driving but maybe... the key I am using's corresponding GM is in my other car, not sure how big of a deal that is. I remember reading that the wrong transponder will stop the car from being started for security reasons... so maybe something like that is happening.

3) Maybe some sort of safety mode? I am not sure if BMWs have this, but my radiator is probably completely drained by now (every time I moved it after the accident I lost a little more from cycling fluid -- I only moved it one or two feet at a time (up/down ramps or stuff like that). I've also just removed the bumper and a lot of the components around there so maybe I took off something more important than I think it is?

Last edited by TheMagicalHindu; 05-09-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
MR2Aaron

My Ride: 2005 325i
Try cleaning the terminals on the battery cables at the battery. Get a little piece of 200ish grit sandpaper and rough each terminal up just a little.

Testing with a multimeter at the battery won't tell you whether the electricity is getting to the place you want it.
MR2Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:06 PM   #16
TheMagicalHindu

A few updates for today. Only had a couple hours after work and before it got dark but took the radiator out, got it up on ramps (Yes it was the battery as I suspected, thanks Aaron).

Also had some questions about hoses before I continue just pulling them off. Anyone know what these 4 hoses are? I just want to know what to expect when I pull it off, doesn't look like its coolant hoses.. I doubt oil goes in there.. not sure what else it'd be. Air?

Old 05-09-2014, 11:29 PM   #17
TheMagicalHindu

More importantly, decided to facelift it!

Going with a GTR Hood (keep it black): http://imgur.com/C8IoGBe
These headlights and tail lights: http://imgur.com/vUjpTnT
And I think I'm going to black out the bumper and throw on this lip: http://imgur.com/B9UoFfO

Might keep the silver headlight trim though, and then have a bit of silver touch on the front with the silver grill.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:51 PM   #18
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
The heavy siver metal pipes are AC dont disconnect them!

The second set is power steering.

If you don't know this you need to get someone who does to help you do this safely...

Last edited by dwtaylorpdx; 05-09-2014 at 11:54 PM.
dwtaylorpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:58 AM   #19
TheMagicalHindu

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwtaylorpdx View Post
The heavy siver metal pipes are AC dont disconnect them!

The second set is power steering.

If you don't know this you need to get someone who does to help you do this safely...
I mean if I break it I'll be in the same spot I started in I figure I might as well do what I can and try to fix it myself. Worst case scenario I've learned some new things for my other one.

I guess that means I don't need to/shouldn't replace the black part it's connected to ?

Last edited by TheMagicalHindu; 05-10-2014 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:20 AM   #20
dwtaylorpdx

My Ride: 2005 330xi
If its still under pressure your dumping refrigerant, the stuff can cause frostbite.. And its very toxic for your lungs..

Also if you don't know some of the details and don't have a coach, how do you know if you have created a hazard?

I'm not saying don't do it yourself, but if you don't know what the parts of an AC system are, there is some
stuff in there that's just as important. Get a good manual too if you don't have one,
at least a Haynes will show you what the parts are, or use the online parts fiche services.

You also need to understand the electrical harnesses involved in the stuff your tearing apart, ABS and other fun stuff lives in there..

I've gone to friends places not to work, but to drink their beer and teach them basics..
"Cheap Date" LOL