E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-19-2010, 06:19 PM   #41
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tede46ci View Post
So I need that screw?

OK. When I did this I lost 2 screws, one on each side (the bottom screws). Went to BMW dealer and they couldn't get the same screw because it has been superseded by another part $/screw, which of course doesn't work.

As far as I know, for my car there are eight screws total, 4 on each side - 2 at front/top (they are easy to do and hex screws) and 2 on the bottom (one toward front and one toward back and they are torx screws).

I lost both bottom screws toward the back where it is very tight and hard to reach. So now I have 3 screws on each side - 2 at the front top and 1 at bottom toward front.

So far no problem. But if I get the correct screws I will put them in.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:31 PM   #42
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
i hate how the washer leaks everywhere on the passenger side when u pull it

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #43
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
lol that is why i tell you guys to use a magnetic antenna. or tar jammed into the socket (if you don't car about the socket) or 3m double sided tape jammed into the socket.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:38 PM   #44
jzwu

Well, it is the torx screw that you use a torx bit for. Not sure how you can use sticky tape for that. I used the magnetic stick but it still fell off.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #45
sillieidiot

you can either use a torx or 8mm socket. whichever you want. in my DIY i just told everyone to use the 8mm.

your magnetic stick must be weak? lol i just used the ones at autozone. the pen looking ones that come in highlighter colors. all you have to do is stick it on the washer and you're good

Last edited by sillieidiot; 09-19-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #46
jzwu

Alright. Just need to get the right replacement bolts now.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #47
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Thanks for this

I need to replace the rubber boots for the headlights and also wire in AEs. I figured it would just be easier to remove the entire headlight assembly to do these things, especially the boots since the area is so cramped.

genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:27 AM   #48
bimmerkid330

My Ride: 2004 330ci
+1. followed his steps today. Worked like a charm. I'm at the baking stage. Took me a little over an hour to get both headlights out. Thank you so much. I'm not a mechanic. I'm actually a network/systems engineer and with instructions like these anyone willing can perform the task at hand. Again, Great write up and thanks again.
]
Old 04-07-2011, 03:06 AM   #49
sillieidiot

you're welcome man. i tried to make it as easy as possible to understand.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #50
rear_wheel_drive

My Ride: 2003 330Ci
Fantastic DIY write-up. It allowed me to replace a faulty ballast. However, the job is not quite done. Difficult as it was to pull the headlight out (non-facelifted coupe with winter package), I still haven't figure out how to put it back exactly in place. At the moment, all is fine except the corner near the kidney grill which is perhaps 1/4 to 1/2" high. That is, the gap between the trim piece and the bumper is too big. The consequence is my headlight is pointing too high and is sure to distract oncoming drivers. Any tips on how to wiggle it in place?

It seems the most important piece is to line-up the channel formed at the bottom of the headlight with the washer assembly. That pretty much fixes the left-to-right. Up and down is another question altogether.

Oh, in case this helps anyone, since this was on the driver side, I took 2 min to remove the air box with a 10mm socket and gave myself plenty of room.
rear_wheel_drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 07:29 PM   #51
sillieidiot

that sounds to me like you missed part of the plastic piece as you were pushing in the headlight.

normally when i put in a headlight, i would push it as far as it can go and it would usually get stuck near the autoleveling plug. i would push the rear of the headlight down a little bit to clear it, but not push it all the way in yet. at this point, i'm pushing down on the front of the headlight while pushing the headlight in. you should sort of feel like it's sliding into something and then it will fall into a hole (which is the ballast clearing the plastic part on the bottom and sitting in it's spot) so to speak.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:44 PM   #52
Slapsys

My Ride: 323Ci
This is exactly what I'm looking for but I'm putting in projector headlights with halo and there are a bunch of read and black wires with no connectors. Where would I wire those up to? I'm assuming they're for the Halos.
Slapsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:10 PM   #53
uddvej

My Ride: E46 M54 -04 M-sport
Thumbs Up Nice & easy 2 follow.

I shure helped alot! Thanx for great descr and pics. Very useful!

Last edited by CortinaD; 05-24-2014 at 01:54 AM.
uddvej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:42 AM   #54
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
thx so much for your help

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #55
Bjon BMW

My Ride: E46 325cic
I'm having trouble taking the lower paint trim off of the headlight..I used a screw driver as instructed with a rag but with use of force I heard a crack on the fender side of the panel. I am stuck with taking out this trim piece and need help regarding taking the headlight washer panel out? Any suggestions?
Bjon BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #56
Slapsys

My Ride: 323Ci
You have to start on the inside closest to the grill and get the tab (about 2" long) out of its slot and then pull it out towards the outside using the outside edge as a pivot. Don' go all the way, just enough to disengage the pegs that hold it in. Then use the screwdriver (with the rag) to pry out the last tab. At least that's how I remember it.
Slapsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #57
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjon BMW View Post
I'm having trouble taking the lower paint trim off of the headlight..I used a screw driver as instructed with a rag but with use of force I heard a crack on the fender side of the panel. I am stuck with taking out this trim piece and need help regarding taking the headlight washer panel out? Any suggestions?
do you have headlight washers?

you're supposed to pull from the center of the car out. when you get to the outer part with the screw driver, you want to pull on the trim (basically put pressure on it) and then nudge the flat in slowly. when it can't go anymore, then apply more force. sometimes you will hear a loud pop/crack, but it should be fine if you don't overdo it.

if you have headlight washers, i suggest you do it with a friend. it will help a lot.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:10 PM   #58
Bjon BMW

My Ride: E46 325cic
Yes I have a headlight washer. Im sending pictures maybe you can see what I am doing wrong.

btw, I am also having a tough time pulling out the headlight plugs. Is there a button to push or pinch? or do you just wiggle the plug until it gets loose? I have been pulling it but it just won't budge.

Also on the driver's side of the 4mm bolt it's hard to reach the side near the air box. did you take out the air box for you to get into the bolt? and the one near the kidney grill is also hard to reach.

Sorry for the numerous questions.

FYI The magnet was very helpful for the passenger side bolt near the kidney grill.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (3).jpg
Views:	140
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	419489   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).JPG
Views:	140
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	419490   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (1).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	419491   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	419492  

Bjon BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #59
boltan
Banned User

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Thank you so much for making this! Just Just went outside and did it and it took mabe 20 mins, thanks again!
boltan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:48 AM   #60
ATACINC

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3 Cabrio
Send a message via AIM to ATACINC Send a message via Skype™ to ATACINC
Well I am ablout to start this project on my M3 VERT wish me luck
ATACINC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e46 headlight removal