E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 01:55 AM   #21
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
I was going to use the BMW once jack but decided not to after seeing how flimsy it looked. That thing looks like some plastic little toy. Then I tried my bigger Craftsman jack and it didn't fit under my car, so I had to drive up on some boards to get enough clearance.

The best thing to use is a good low profile jack with one of these jack pad adaptors from ecstuning.com, I just bought one and it works perfect.

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 07:47 AM   #22
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
I never find the need to have my leg or foot under the car while it's jacked up for wheel change. Any reason why lots of you have your leg or foot under the car ? Can you describe the sensation on your body when the car fell, and also tell us do you now have a limp ?
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:01 AM   #23
lamaker

My Ride: 2005 325ci
happened to me as well....crack my sideskirt...spend Saturday fixing the side skirt with bondo and factory paint...fun times...
Old 01-13-2009, 09:22 AM   #24
Agarde

My Ride: 330ci
it didnt happen to me, but i was thinking that previous owner was a fool. now i learn that its not his fault at all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1417.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	298447  
Agarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #25
JK1150

My Ride: 2004 325CI
this thread is comforting to me as I bought my car used and the jack was broken when I pulled it out once to use it. I was wonder wtf my car has been through that a jack broke...
JK1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #26
that_one_guy

My Ride: 3er Schaltgetriebe
Can someone recommend a good light replacement spare jack to keep in the trunk? When I saw the BMW jack I was astonished at how shitty it looked and thought "I hope I never have to use that to change a spare". My Hondas both had much better spare jacks.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #27
JoeVert

My Ride: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agarde View Post
it didnt happen to me, but i was thinking that previous owner was a fool. now i learn that its not his fault at all
don't let him off the hook too easily, it looks like he jacked the car up by the side skirt instead of the proper way. That doesn't looks like he just dropped it.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #28
madchef

My Ride: '04 ZHP Sedan MB/NB
For those of you who had their jack break, how many times are you using the thing? Sound like you are using it as your full time jack, and not an emergency jack?
Old 01-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #29
bansheeman

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to bansheeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46_619 View Post
So I was jacking up the car on a flat surface.. I made sure the foot of the jack was straight/leveled and the white piece fitted onto the cars part where it is suppose to go, under the side skirt area. As I was jacking up, the jack made a sound and broke! It dropped the car and when I looked at the jack, the white portion that attaches to the car snapped on the side! Just wondering if this has happen to anyone...
Yeah a few weeks after I got my car I got a flat and the car fell on my hand and broke it. They are a piece of ****.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #30
samBROchill330i

My Ride: Dinan 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by madchef View Post
For those of you who had their jack break, how many times are you using the thing? Sound like you are using it as your full time jack, and not an emergency jack?
+1, curious...i can understand using a jack quickly to take some tires off...but usually when im under a car (not mine) I'll just use jack stands after jacking up
Wheels: Staggered 19" V710s on T1Rs
samBROchill330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #31
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Same thing happen to me jack did a gangsta lean when I got the car up after a flat. So I called roadside assistance. I felt like a pansy.
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:38 PM   #32
TireFryer23

My Ride: 00 323ci
Send a message via AIM to TireFryer23
wow... lafabritto and I switched wheels on these jacks. I was a little worried about it but had no other options. Im glad it lasted.

I never even used it on my old e46 considering I would go through rubber faster than I had a chance to puncture it. (hence the screen name)
TireFryer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #33
Clean_3

My Ride: E46
yup seconds after i had moved from underneath the car. Yes I did have stands and wood blocks but woah it scared the shiet out of me!

Try snooping through her things and finding out where she stashed your ballz...
Clean_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:52 PM   #34
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
wow i can't believe how many problems you guys have had

i'll be more careful in the future
Old 01-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #35
e46_619

My Ride: always breaks down!
Send a message via AIM to e46_619
wow guys all these stories. I used my jack only 3 times through its lifetime.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #36
ZeHP

My Ride: 330i ZHP
long story short- YES. i have saved it each time by lowering it fast enough once i see it slip, i try to never use it though. it is a horrific style of a jack. none like that i have ever used have been reliable

"It's pretty much an M!"
"No it's not."
ZeHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #37
hongchu

My Ride: bmw328ci
THAT NOT NOT A DEVICE FOR JACKING UP CARS, ITS A DEVICE FOR JACKING THE DRIVERS UP... LITERALLY.... im just astonished how bmw sells their cars for so much money yet comes with the shitiest car parts and tools.
hongchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #38
Lemonsqr

My Ride: 2001 TiAg 330i
E46 OEM jack is one scary piece of German engineering!!! Only use it for emergencies, which reminds me, I need to go get a scissor jack and leave it in the trunk.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #39
swoobies

My Ride: '03 M3
wow i have been wondering about this for a while. i had to jack up the car recently and i stood there looking at that piece of sh*t wondering "is this really going to hold up this?" good thing it didn't snap when i used it, or else it would have been serious
swoobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #40
that_one_guy

My Ride: 3er Schaltgetriebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonsqr View Post
E46 OEM jack is one scary piece of German engineering!!! Only use it for emergencies, which reminds me, I need to go get a scissor jack and leave it in the trunk.
That is what I plan on doing. Any good recommendations?