E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2009, 08:16 PM   #41
bansheeman

My Ride: 1999 328i
Send a message via AIM to bansheeman
Quote:
Originally Posted by that_one_guy View Post
That is what I plan on doing. Any good recommendations?
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

worth every penny
Old 01-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #42
Agarde

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVert View Post
don't let him off the hook too easily, it looks like he jacked the car up by the side skirt instead of the proper way. That doesn't looks like he just dropped it.
that's also possible, but if he was that dumb he should properly calling somebody to replace the tire

no idea, just that its sth that i dont like about my car.. most the time you only see it when you take pictures, but its there!
Agarde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #43
e46_619

My Ride: always breaks down!
Send a message via AIM to e46_619
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheeman View Post
wow that looks like a great alternative.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #44
dippin330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_B21 View Post
Mine broke, fvcked up my side skirt and nearly pinned my leg under the car, of course it was @ 3a.m. and the only light i had was the glovebox flashlight.. Sh!tty night

yea similar thing happened to me. the white part of my jack slipped and the jack fell sideways. Almost handicapping me!
Old 01-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #45
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
Was swapping wheels this past weekend with Arrows.

The tire was alllmost off the ground when we noticed the jack was starting to go up sideways!! (The bottom was twisted?!?) And we were on flat surface!

Piece of
werd. you really have to watch the jack as you jack it up/jack it down. it's slipped (not broken) on me like 2-3 times already. i try not to use it unless i'm stuck in the middle of the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46_619 View Post
Is it better to get a replacement jack from the dealer, or purchased a different one?
get a different one. Ken from bimmertools has some good shiet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason330cic View Post
I was going to use the BMW once jack but decided not to after seeing how flimsy it looked. That thing looks like some plastic little toy. Then I tried my bigger Craftsman jack and it didn't fit under my car, so I had to drive up on some boards to get enough clearance.

The best thing to use is a good low profile jack with one of these jack pad adaptors from ecstuning.com, I just bought one and it works perfect.

ohh those look good. maybe i'll make some with a little piece of wood. ahha
Old 01-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #46
RotaryBzzz

My Ride: E36 M3 : E46 330i
My friend had an E36 jack that broke on him and almost killed him. He, and my buddy, had been looking under the car at some work that had been done. His head was literally under the car 20 seconds before the jack broke.

I wish someone would invent a portable lightweight jackstand that fit snugly in our trunks.

Now I think of it, it's almost worth it to keep this OE honda scissor I have laying around in the car instead of these POS's.

Last edited by RotaryBzzz; 01-13-2009 at 09:23 PM.
RotaryBzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #47
iheartsole

My Ride: 04 325i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrbusa View Post
Here's a picture of my jack after it dropped my car.

Luckily the wheels were still on. The jack fell on it's side and did a number on the front brake air ducts. It also bent my passenger control arm pretty good, but thats exactly what I was attempting to replace at the time

Thats why you don't loosen the lugs all the way before it's secure on stands.
i had that same exact jack forgot the name of it, but returned it because i never used it. haha

there good for cars that are lowered/slammed , but can only handle a certain amount of weight.
iheartsole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 11:17 PM   #48
that_one_guy

My Ride: 3er Schaltgetriebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bansheeman View Post
Why in the hell did BMW not include this jack set with the e46? Does it usually come with 5ers and 7ers or something? I will have to buy one of these (or something similar)...
Old 01-13-2009, 11:28 PM   #49
///BMW5

i don't see how BMW hasnt been sued for this yet...i mean that could mean life or death...i realize its for emergencies only but if you are in an emergency and it fails and you die then i dont see how BMW is not at fault for this
Old 01-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #50
Wes328i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Send a message via AIM to Wes328i
Yup. I've had the (mis)fortune of changing about 10 flat tires in my ~3 years of driving and the jack broke on both my E46s. They are pure crap. I was so angry I brought it to the dealer and they didn't get a flying f***.

Don't every put any body parts under the car with that junk. That's a death wish. Luckily it was always with the wheel on that it fell. Just scares the crap out of you though.

2003 325i
previous: 1999 328i
Wes328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #51
e46_619

My Ride: always breaks down!
Send a message via AIM to e46_619
man I just cant imagine if you need to change the tire in the middle of nowhere and the jack fails on you. I guess theres a reason why they put that road side assistance sticker on the tool door.... after your car drops
Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #52
that_one_guy

My Ride: 3er Schaltgetriebe
Germans....
Old 01-14-2009, 01:00 AM   #53
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Blak Soldier View Post
ohh those look good. maybe i'll make some with a little piece of wood. ahha
yea i use wood for the jack stands. fits perfectly.

and the oem jack, i just make triple sure it's level. hasnt fallen yet
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 AM   #54
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
They have scissor jacks at Northern Tool for only $5.00! I may get one of these to keep in the trunk.

You can order them online at www.Northerntool.com if you're not near a store.

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:24 AM   #55
MeRon

My Ride: 325Ci
LOL, is it a bad thing that I had a good laugh out of 80% of the posts in this thread? I'm definitely NOT going to use mine.

Anyways, Hondas use those scissor jacks as pictured above. It never failed on me when I had to jack up my old Honda and the best part is there are a million of these scissor jacks at the scrap yard. Just don't say you are getting the jack for your BMW haha

MeRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #56
Kmhmuboy

My Ride: 323i
Wow I thought I was the only one. This happened to me a few years ago. I was in my buddies garage and needed the car on stands. I couldn't use his hydraulic jacks because I just lowered the car an it wouldn't fit. So I thought I could just use the car's jack and get it in the air while I position the stands under it. I jacked the car and proceeded to put a stand under the car when I heard a cracking sound. I pulled my body from underneath the car just before the car came crashing down! Luckily the stand that I left under the car really didn't damage anything because it ended up on its side as I pulled my self out from underneath. Upon inspection of the jack, I noticed the white portion of the jack that mates to the pads under the car sheared off and the lifting arm itself twisted. I called BMW NA and told them my story. They took my statement and sent a new jack and asked me to return the defective one. I don't really know why they sent another...there is no way I'm going to use that thing again. I just picked up an low-pro aluminum jack from sears for a couple of hundred bucks. Better safe than sorry!
Kmhmuboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #57
iansanderson

My Ride: 2001 330CiC
are you guys firmly applying the parking brake when you use the jack? I've never had these issues on the 3 or 7 series. although I saw a horrible fail when my bosses son just got his new 323i a long time ago. I said, "aaron.. you should pull the parking brake" he replied, "no, I don't want to put the stress on the brakes when I try and remove the lug nuts" he, of course didn't pull the parking brake and the car moved forward and fell right onto the rotor.
iansanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:06 AM   #58
FatBackNasty

My Ride: 330Ci
Used it once right after I bought the car. The white plastic piece failed and it dented my sideskirt. Make sure to use jack stand when working with not just this one, but any jack.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 AM   #59
Bondga

My Ride: 328Ci
I can't believe some of the stories on here. If you read almost any jack there is always a warning label that says always support the car on jack stands before doing any work. And if you read in the ultra supper small fine tiny print on our oem jacks it says throw this piece away and by a M mobility package
Old 05-08-2009, 11:23 AM   #60
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
only used the bmw jack once when i had a tire blow out. It worked but i was very nervous

435 Horsepower 328Ci
Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote