E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #61
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason330cic View Post
They have scissor jacks at Northern Tool for only $5.00! I may get one of these to keep in the trunk.

You can order them online at www.Northerntool.com if you're not near a store.
the cheapest i see is 29.99?

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:33 AM   #62
xavi330i

My Ride: 2004 330i smg
I used the OEM jack twice before. Once for the front which was not to bad and the other for the rear. The rear was scary, the whole car would shift. I put that jack away and brought out my low-pro jack w/ wheels. I think the main reason for the oem jacks failing is that it is anchored to the ground . The jack needs to have the ability to move with the car. I notice when jacking with the OEM jack, the jack would bend in the direction that the car want to go. (Car is choked and e-brake on level ground) The trick with the OEM jack is to only lift car high enough to remove wheel. Also as you lift the car, make sure that as it gets to the desired lift point that it is straight. If for example it leans left, lower it down and place the base of the jack slightly more to the left and vice versa.

I have learned not to use the OEM jack for my maintenance activities. That thing is scary.
Old 05-08-2009, 07:32 PM   #63
bobby digital

My Ride: 2005 330i
Daam, every time i have to use that thing i am scared, emergency, what the f..k was bmw thinking, what if it broke on a lonely road while changing a wheel, that's what i talk about when i say the e46 seems more fragile.
bobby digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #64
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
You are scaring yourself silly. For wheel changing the OEM jack is perfectly adequate. Even if it failed. The car's weight on the opposite corner would have counter balanced the drop. On the other hand, if you use that jack to lift half of the car rather than just a corner, you are asking for trouble and it will most likely fail.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #65
bobby digital

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
You are scaring yourself silly. For wheel changing the OEM jack is perfectly adequate. Even if it failed. The car's weight on the opposite corner would have counter balanced the drop. On the other hand, if you use that jack to lift half of the car rather than just a corner, you are asking for trouble and it will most likely fail.
Strange that you say that, do you own a e46? maybe your car is different but mine has slots (at the four corners only) for fitting the jack in. I totally my be misunderstanding you, [even if it failed. the ....... balance the drop], hmmmm why did all those other cars (in this thread) not balance the drop?

I am totally lost, does anyone understand what that post was saying?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #66
GoingNuts
Just Nuts

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
Do you think a car's weight dropping on someone's leg would allow him escape unharmed ? If you explain why various posters escaped unharmed, you would have found the answer you seek.
GoingNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #67
RockLee

My Ride: 99 328i. ZSP, ZPP,
Send a message via Yahoo to RockLee Send a message via Skype™ to RockLee
It seems the jack is using window regulator technology.
Hasn't happened to me yet and I have the original jack. I only had to change the tire ONCE.
But Im feeling scared. I better go grease it.

1999 328i Sport Package, Premium Package, 5 speed, Alpine white.
RockLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #68
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
i don't trust the jack that came with the car, i bought a 2 tonner jack from autozone.
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #69
IxNay

My Ride: 2000 328Ci 5sp SP
I used my jack to change a flat. I had just left I-95 in Delray Beach, FL when I noticed the car riding strangely. Luckily I had just left the highway and was on secondary roads. I pulled into a level parking lot and used the jack to change the tire. The jack sure looked flimsy, but it did the job.

The lug wrench is another story. I tried to get the lugs off with it one time and was unable to do it even with 220 LBS of me applying my full wieght. From the force the metal on the lug wrench twisted so much that the paint cracked and peeled off at the point where it twisted. I refused to keep trying with the useless lug wrench. I had to go to a friends garage and use his impact wrench to remove the lug nuts.

Now, I know when I tighten the lug nuts I can get them off even if it is a couple of years later. But these tires were mounted at a local garage. The moral of the story is never trust a garage to torque your wheels properly. You must INSIST they do not use the impact wrench to put the lugs on.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #70
bobby digital

of all the cars i have owned, i have never seen a more fragile looking jack, and cars i have owned include three other bmw, nissan, mazda, + more. well thanks to this thread, i will now watch this jack carefully or get another to carry around with me.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #71
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
My emergency jack crapped out on me twice out of 3-4 uses. Thank God I wasn't under the car.

Last edited by JSanders; 05-09-2009 at 12:55 AM.
JSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:11 PM   #72
carbon323

My Ride: RIP
my jack itself never broke, but 2 or 3 times now when i try to jack it up, the ****3r slips and gets jammed all up in my side skirt. i literally have 3 cracks where the jackpads should be because of the stupid thing. the last time, i actually had to go to advance auto parts to buy ANOTHER jack to jack the car up again to remove the OE from the inside of my side skirt. i trashed it after that, i just keep a bottle jack in the trunk in the spare tire
carbon323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:23 AM   #73
Mikeee46coupe

My Ride: IS ON DPE's
Had mine slip twice in the first two years of ownership, after that I tossed it in the trash, where it belongs.

DPE Wheels, H&R, M3 Interior...way too many mods to list.
Mikeee46coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #74
albeee

My Ride: Fit, Z4, XJ6
has it broke on me? you mean WHEN?

got a flat on the freeway the day i put on my CSLs for the first time ...tried the jack, and the car falls. called roadside assistance, who came and tried for the second time, and it failed again. it worked the third time, and im really tempted to throw that pile of junk out cause its simply weighing down my trunk but i want to get a replacement one first. out of all the things that could fail in our e46s, this is one where all the horror stories you read here are every bit as true as they sound.
albeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 03:59 AM   #75
aaae46

My Ride: 03 330i
A tip for anyone who absolutely HAS to use the OEM jack

Quote:
Do you think a car's weight dropping on someone's leg would allow him escape unharmed ? If you explain why various posters escaped unharmed, you would have found the answer you seek.
Just wanted to say that GoingNuts is an idiot for saying this...fail...

Anyway, I had 2 instances where the OEM jack screwed me over. If I had not positioned my tire underneath hub assembly, the car would have fallen on my leg. It definitely is not a joke. The problem is that the higher I went the more it would tip over backwards. I had to place the channel locks from the trunk tool kit on the ground first (acting as a makeshift shim) and put the base of the jack over the tool's handle to tilt the jack about 30degrees toward the front of the car. By doing so I was able to raise the car up and towards the front, instead of vertically. Don't use the box-end wrenches, they are too small. The channel-lock's handle is long enough to make the base of the jack more stable.

But for peace of mind, my old Nissan scissor jack fits nicely on the side of the spare wheel in the trunk. I just wrapped the jack and handle in felt to prevent it from scratching my trunk to hell.

It might be a PITA to store a jack like that around, but it could be the difference between being seriously injured and driving home safe.
aaae46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #76
Phoenixtsintsin

My Ride: 03 325i, 99 323i
I got a flat this past week. I was lucky to get off the highway.

Got the flat off ... then the jack broke.

Luckily, a good samaritan stopped to help me out. What a freakin' nightmare.

Leave it to the Germans to design a jack so complicated that it breaks when we need it most.

I broke another jack, but it won't fit under the front ... it'll fit the rear for now, but I have a feeling it won't fit with a flat tire.

I just ordered another OEM jack. Between the two jacks, I should be ok for now.

Unreal.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:44 AM   #77
nosoule46

My Ride: 01 E46 & 05 E83 (X3)
Yep the 1/2 of the white plastic insert is still stuck in one of the rubber lift caps...
I got a jack (like one for an X3) now in the trunk. Before that, I had kept a full sized hydraulic.

Last edited by nosoule46; 05-31-2009 at 04:08 PM.
nosoule46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:34 PM   #78
darkmanlfe

My Ride: rocket propelled 323
Send a message via AIM to darkmanlfe
Quote:
looking for alternative jack stand since i am traveling alot on my car these days and had 1 flat tire.

i couldnt help it but this comment.... I'd be GoingNuts too when the oem jack suddenly moves and drops my car.

lots of post, and probably all lack of common sense.

Last edited by darkmanlfe; 07-13-2009 at 01:37 PM.
darkmanlfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:51 PM   #79
tincup33

My Ride: 2003 325Ci
How can so many people be so unaware of common jack safety? It sucks that it broke on you but seriously, get your body parts out from under the car in the first place!!!
tincup33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #80
Dominancex

My Ride: FA5T 4DR
Send a message via AIM to Dominancex
oem bmw jacks are POS, i used to keep the scissor jack from my 89 corolla in the back, a lot safer.

Dominancex is offline   Reply With Quote