E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-13-2009, 01:58 PM   #81
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
Last monday I came out to my car in the morning to find a flat on my drivers rear. I got out the OEM jack, looks like it had never been used before and now I know why. It keps trying to rip my sideskirt off so finally I just took the skirt off and it still wouldn't work. It kept doing what aaa346 said, tilting back at about 10 degrees and getting worse the higher it got. I finally had to borrow a floor jack from my apartment manager. I'll be getting is scissor jack ASAP.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #82
330Lover_

My Ride: 2001 330i bk/bk step
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_B21 View Post
Mine broke, fvcked up my side skirt and nearly pinned my leg under the car, of course it was @ 3a.m. and the only light i had was the glovebox flashlight.. Sh!tty night

Mine broke and fvcked up the side skirt too.

01' 330i, step, bk/bk, moon, xenon, cd, 18x8 ASA AR1, 225/40/18 all around, Koni Yellow shock, Eibach Pro-spring, Axxis brake pads, 20mm rear spacers
330Lover_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #83
azzy989

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to azzy989 Send a message via MSN to azzy989
lol yeah my car fell off the jack and the sideskirt popped off. i made sure to thoroughly check the rotor/caliper for damage before i put everything away

azzy989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:00 PM   #84
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
Was swapping wheels this past weekend with Arrows.

The tire was alllmost off the ground when we noticed the jack was starting to go up sideways!! (The bottom was twisted?!?) And we were on flat surface!

Piece of
Same happened to me. When i tried to lower it slowly it fell completely.

Luckily, I put the wheel i was changing under the car in front of the jack when i noticed it starting to fail. It held the car nicely while I was running around like a madman trying to find another jack.

I keep a low-pro craftsman in the trunk now (with jackstands).
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #85
nosispower

My Ride: 2002 330i
I have a good story too!

Changing the rear shock on my car and decided to use my floor jack to compress the LCA into place and use the OEM jack to hold up the car (I had jackstands, but I got lazy). While I'm banging on the LCA with a mallet, I notice the OEM jack slooooowly start to tip over. Car comes crashing down and I had just enough time to pull my leg and arm our from out under the brake rotor.

The rotor still got a piece of my arm though. I've got a pretty cool scar on my arm that I tell people was from a shark bite.

nosispower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:15 PM   #86
MeRon

My Ride: 325Ci
When you jack the car up from the rear, you need to put something in between the front tire of the opposite side so that the car won't shift and cause the jack to fail. I have two small pieces of 2X4 in my trunk if I ever need to use that jack. You can also buy tires wedges at part stores, and I would highly recommend those.
MeRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #87
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Mine broke on my E36, not messing with the one on the E46 now. Screw that noise.
Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 AM   #88
02gtstang

My Ride: 2005 zhp coupe
mine broke when i was jacking up my mustang and scared the **** out me. i thought at first the jack went through my expensive oil pan because there was oil everywhere but it was just the hydraulics went out. was a brand new craftsman 4 ton jack lifting the front of a 3100lb car. lol.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:09 AM   #89
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I got a flat and had to stop on a small hill. Needless to say the OEM jack failed me and my car slammed onto the rotor. Thankfully someone stopped with a REAL jack and helped me out. I promptly threw that POS into the woods.

So I've threw 2 parts out of spontaneous rage...the OEM jack and my shift knob. But that's another story which has already been told.

Oh, the OEM wheel chock is also a POS. It won't stop the car from rolling over it since it is too small.

So now I just bring a regular floor jack when I travel.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:08 PM   #90
Jon325iT

My Ride: 2002 325iT
Here's my jack breaking experience.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...195&highlight=

I got a random scissor jack from the junk yard.
Jon325iT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:39 PM   #91
rolschan01

My Ride: 2001 325i
The jack that came with my BWM is crap. I was lowering the car with the OEM jack when the jack arm bent and slipped out from underneath the car. Luckily there was no damage to the car, and I was not injured.

I am looking for a compact replacement jack for emergencies on the road - not to use for regular maintenance purposes. I don't want to drive around with the floor jack that I keep at home. Any recommendations for under $50? I am looking for a solution that works well with the rectangular shaped base given that non-BWM jacks are not likely to have the BMW jack pad.
rolschan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #92
Studdly_Studright

My Ride: 135i
This happened to me a few months ago but I was embarrassed and felt retarded that I couldn't use a jack. glad to know I'm definitely not alone! my skirt is a little messed up
Old 03-18-2011, 08:25 PM   #93
JordanBMW

My Ride: 320i 2002 steel blue
Send a message via MSN to JordanBMW Send a message via Skype™ to JordanBMW
Oem Jack broke puttin on spare tire lucky nthing was damaged
Old 03-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #94
parkblu

My Ride: 330ci 6m
Last Friday, on a flat level surface, the car dropped twice from the f... emergency jack. Thank goodness both times still with wheel on. Most of the damage was to my ears - all that steam coming out from them.

But what a lousy piece of useless junk they stuck in our trunks. How embarrassing.

A kind soul in an old GTO stopped, fished a massive floor jack (!) out of his trunk and said if I didn't need his help he'd come by when he finished his grocery shopping in 10 min or so. He saved my bacon and me from being jailed for clobbering the next BeeEmm employee in eyesight.
parkblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:29 PM   #95
TrickTizzle

My Ride: 325i
Send a message via AIM to TrickTizzle
Nope. Used it many times.
TrickTizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #96
DBrown

My Ride: BMW 325 Ci
Yep, I was swapping out my tires, using the crappy stock jack. My dad walked by and closed my door while it was jacked up. The car wobbled and fell off the jack and landed on the rear rotor. About ten seconds earlier I had my head under the car looking at the rear diff for a leak. Thank god. I always use my professional jack with jack stands around it (just to be safe).

I hope this thread serves as warning to newbies, not to trust that crappy stock jack. I was to cheap to buy a good jack at first, but is 100 bucks worth crushing your leg or arm or worse?

Last edited by DBrown; 03-27-2011 at 09:59 PM.
DBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #97
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Yes using the OEM Jack the white piece broke on me as well

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 10:27 PM   #98
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
Mine collapsed on me as I was jacking up the front driver side. Nearly destroyed my sideskirt too! (Once I realized that the jack was about to collapse, I was able to guide it just enough to miss the side skirt).

I managed to use the jack in my dad's 535xi to change out a tire a little while ago... the surface was not the best by any means, but everything went smoothly. Sure looks like the same design as the E46 jack, but maybe they changed something inside?

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 03-27-2011 at 10:28 PM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:02 PM   #99
Bimmerboi325i

My Ride: needs a wash
tried to change a flat during rush hour..pos broke on me, effed up my sideskirt. goodthing i had a tire under the car and a spare jack since i had a feeling that the oem was unreliable

jessica.
Bimmerboi325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:09 AM   #100
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Yes. On the side of the road in the morning when me and everybody else was trying to get into DC. Didn't have AAA at the time, and it was so early in the morning I couldn't get ahold of anybody.

Felt like an idiot, couldn't do anything, the only thing holding my car up from falling on the ground was the dismounted tire. I'm ready to kick my headlights in, my suit is disgusting by that point, i'm late for work, people were staring at me (yet nobody stopped to help of course)

Finally a man who worked at the Audi dealership like 45 minutes away (which happened to be where I got the car) saw me from the other side of the highway, made a U-turn and came to my rescue.

Not the BMW jack, but the Audi jack was made just as shitty.