E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 02:06 AM   #101
eld4au6

My Ride: 00 323it
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoule46 View Post
I got a jack (like one for an X3) now in the trunk.
Do you think that one is any better? The one on my moms old x3 was a joke. Broke and slammed the car onto the asphalt.

There is a reason the jack has never been out of the E46.
eld4au6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:09 PM   #102
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
i haven't use my jack since i bought my car last 2003, it still looks new
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:16 PM   #103
seigi009

My Ride: 03 325i
Has your jack broke on you?

Well, I'll speak for the minority here and say that I have used my jack about 16 times so far and haven't had any problems with it yet.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by seigi009; 04-29-2013 at 03:17 PM.
seigi009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #104
IrunBimmer

My Ride: 323i

Mine dropped my car while I was working on it. Thankfully I had a friend sitting next to me and shoved my rim under the car before it fell on me. I bought a set of jack stands that same day

IrunBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #105
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrunBimmer View Post
Mine dropped my car while I was working on it. Thankfully I had a friend sitting next to me and shoved my rim under the car before it fell on me. I bought a set of jack stands that same day

Damn you were asking for it. Don't work under a car with just a jack of any size supporting it. I don't even like just jack stands.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:52 PM   #106
IrunBimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
Damn you were asking for it. Don't work under a car with just a jack of any size supporting it. I don't even like just jack stands.
Was my first car pretty much first time ever working on a car too. Learned my lesson. And did you just say you don't like just jack stands? What is more secure then a jack stand?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #107
WDE46

My Ride: 2004 330Ci OBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrunBimmer View Post
Was my first car pretty much first time ever working on a car too. Learned my lesson. And did you just say you don't like just jack stands? What is more secure then a jack stand?

Nothing except maybe a lift. I mean I use them with no problems, but they still make me nervous. If I have the wheels off, I generally put them under the car with me. I also try REALLY hard to push the car off the stands before I get under it from several angles.

Common Sense is officially dead.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:33 PM   #108
IrunBimmer

Quote:
Nothing except maybe a lift. I mean I use them with no problems, but they still make me nervous. If I have the wheels off, I generally put them under the car with me. I also try REALLY hard to push the car off the stands before I get under it from several angles.
my jack stands look like this http://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_19560.jpg

so im not to worried about the car going anywhere, i also put pegs behind the wheels to keep it from accidentally rolling anywhere
Old 04-29-2013, 04:37 PM   #109
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Only used it once and when I jacked up the car high enough I put my spare under the side skirt.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:18 PM   #110
Sweetness
E46 is strong with this one

My Ride: '01 325i
I have two different jacks, and stands, but I used my OEM jack one time to help me out with Rear Spring Replacement. I needed it to jack up the rotor housing. It collapsed almost 7 times. I wrapped a heavy rag around the white part and then it didn't slip anymore. If I ever blow a tire, I'll just call a family member to bring my floor jacks to where I am at. Gotta love rural areas. Hell, even Pittsburgh city streets it will be possible! God bless you DC, NY and LA boys
Sweetness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #111
IchLiebeAutos

My Ride: 2001 330i
The first and last time I used my jack was changing my tire on the side of the highway. The white part shot off into the darkness and the car dropped down...luckily the car wasn't very high off the ground.
IchLiebeAutos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:52 PM   #112
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
Quote:
I'm with you on this. It's kind of like going outside during a thunderstorm. Low probability, but better odds than winning the lottery.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #113
PH03NIX46

My Ride: '03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Only used it once and when I jacked up the car high enough I put my spare under the side skirt.
This is what you should be doing.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #114
IrunBimmer

i drive with w 3-ton hydraulic jack with 1 stand all the time. its a pain in the ass but when something goes im set