E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-23-2016, 08:33 AM   #1
Astheros

My Ride: BMW
Recs on Small or MidSized SUVs

so i think we will be needing an suv soon due to some great news i got recently.

having said that, i am looking to get a small or mid sized suv but not really familiar with those. i know crvs and stuff are great but after owning a bmw for 4 years i would rather go a little on the higher end of luxury and comfort.

i love the new BMW X1 but i dont think i want to buy a new car bc of depreciation. i am looking to stick to 2012 and newer. i am considering the following BMW X3, Mercedes GLK, i would consider Audi but i have NO knowleadge of those cars.

any recs from you guys. do you use any of these? experience with any of these?
i am trying to stick to 30k since i figure i can prob squeeze about 10k from returning my car to stock and selling it. thanks
Old 05-23-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
benzfreak

My Ride: my ride
Mercedes new GLC, wife just got one. Great car. All the reviews were great on it also.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #3
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
In before the jeep brigade

flickher

Want something 3D printed? PM me

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #4
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Great news meaning your wife/fiance is pregnant? Be an adult and get a loaded brand new CRV.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #5
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
In before the jeep brigade
Old 05-23-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
Beat you by 2 minutes, that was close.

flickher

Want something 3D printed? PM me

What's this about a brownie in motion?
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:45 AM   #7
Astheros

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Great news meaning your wife/fiance is pregnant? Be an adult and get a loaded brand new CRV.
why does someone always have to come through with the rational train of thought.

edit: i had forgotten about the HRV though. its actually a very good looking car. i hate that the CRV looks like a damm egg.

Last edited by Astheros; 05-23-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Astheros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:46 AM   #8
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
I was going to recommend the Pilot.

Nice looking vehicle, nice interior but won't make you cry as bad when you kid projectile vomits all over it.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:51 AM   #9
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I was going to recommend the Pilot.

Nice looking vehicle, nice interior but won't make you cry as bad when you kid projectile vomits all over it.
Another 10K, but if you want a 7 seater, it's definitely on a short list. Very smooth vehicle.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:52 AM   #10
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astheros View Post
why does someone always have to come through with the rational train of thought.

edit: i had forgotten about the HRV though. its actually a very good looking car. i hate that the CRV looks like a damm egg.
That's what makes the CRV so useful....the "egg" shape means lots of SMART cargo space....unlike infiniti cars, which have sexy roof lines are have worthless cargo space. The HRV is one of the dumbest things honda ever came out with. I forbid you to buy an HRV.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:59 AM   #11
Astheros

Quote:
That's what makes the CRV so useful....the "egg" shape means lots of SMART cargo space....unlike infiniti cars, which have sexy roof lines are have worthless cargo space. The HRV is one of the dumbest things honda ever came out with. I forbid you to buy an HRV.
if i were to go honda, id get an HRV. its our first child and my wife is a small woman. i am only 5'7 and if i am going to go the economy route, then go big or go home right. plus i think the HRV is so much better looking than the CRV.

i have driven my friends CRV a new model and the steering is so damm sloppy. its like the wheel is missing some bolts or something. hate the feel.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:02 AM   #12
NFRs2000nyc

Wut? The CRV steering is from the civic...ultra quick and responsive. The HRV cargo space is going to make you want to put a bullet in your head. A stroller will eat up the entire thing. You WILL regret it.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:05 AM   #13
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Isn't the HRV basically a lifted Fit? Doesn't sound appealing.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:13 AM   #14
Stankia

My Ride: V8
Quick, wife got pregnant get an SUV for no apparent reason!
Old 05-23-2016, 11:33 AM   #15
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
Isn't the HRV basically a lifted Fit? Doesn't sound appealing.
yup.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:35 AM   #16
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
Quick, wife got pregnant get an SUV for no apparent reason!
Try going grocery shopping with an uppababy vista and bassinet in the trunk of a sedan and see how you like it...or how your back feels loading a kid into a sedan vs an SUV designed as a family car FIRST. Or visiting friends without kids, so you have to pack half your house.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #17
Stankia

My Ride: V8
Quote:
Try going grocery shopping with an uppababy vista and bassinet in the trunk of a sedan and see how you like it...or how your back feels loading a kid into a sedan vs an SUV designed as a family car FIRST. Or visiting friends without kids, so you have to pack half your house.
lol get a wagon then. I have a huge dog with a huge cage, a baby can't possible be more difficult to transport.
Old 05-23-2016, 11:50 AM   #18
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
lol get a wagon then. I have a huge dog with a huge cage, a baby can't possible be more difficult to transport.
Its not a matter of difficult. Its a matter of convenience. First, bending DOWN rather than reaching up to load your kid into the carseat is very uncomfortable. Is it the end of the world? Of course not, but it is uncomfortable. Strollers that he'll be using for a newborn like the uppababy vista....

are large and bulky, and tall, so unless you have the "egg" shape like the CRV, the Wrangler, or any other box SUV, you have to lay it down....and unless you have a 7 seater, there isn't enough depth to do it lengthwise without putting down the rear seats (which is how most wagon people have their dog cages)...so most end up putting it across their trunk, then the bassinet on top, eating 100% of cargo space for just the stroller. Can a family make due? Of course. Is it a constant and a never ending hassle? You bet your ass it is. It's his money and he can buy whatever car he likes, just giving him advice, I've been through it twice, and while we love our CRV (130k and going strong) I want a 7 seater because you can't ever have enough room when you have kids, simple as that.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 05-23-2016 at 11:52 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #19
GMrc51

My Ride: 2001 325 coupe topaz
Quote:
Interesting, that's what my neighbors did
GMrc51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:01 PM   #20
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Can attest.

The RRS with much larger proportions is very limited in the usefulness of it's cargo space because of the dropping roof line. The evoke, forget about it. I think the HRV is a little better than the Evoke, but same principe.

Nothing worse than thinking, "Yeah, i've got an SUV, i can haul that home no problem." Only to find out in the parking lot of that store that you SUV doesn't have an opening large enough to fit the item even though the item, if it were built inside the vehicle, would fit fine.

Well, i'm sure there are a few things that are worse.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote