E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Convertible

E46 Convertible
The E46 vert forum. Talk about dropping your E46 top here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2014, 07:01 AM   #1
Arturito_Bxl

My Ride: 320 CiC '04 M-Pack
Expert advice is needed on electronic module

Good morning,
This is my first post on this fantastic forum with so many knowledgeable people sharing experiences.
I have already had 2 BMs and now my baby is a 320 Ci cabrio E46 and I'm having the following fault symptoms:

- electric external mirrors do not work !!
- alarm triggers with no reason
- trunk lid (release button) at times fails to open
- glove compartment lock generally fails to open (even with a new OEM handle)
- internal central lock (pushdown button) sometimes fails to open

My mechanic is of the opinion that an electronic module is responsible for these flaws.
Is a new (or repaired) GM5 module the right fix for those flaws?
A big thank you for your cooperation and help.
Regards from sunny Belgium.
Arturo
Arturito_Bxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:11 AM   #2
Greg330CI

My Ride: E46 330CIc
The GM5 module controls various functions including central locking and mirror operation. The usual symptom of a failing GM5 is that the door locks fail to release / lock using the key remote and the door button inside, so you have to open the drivers door with the key and opening the passenger doors with the inside door handle. The problem with the GM5 is that the small relays that control the functions and power the actuators burn out. The relays can be replaced but it requires unsoldering them and soldering in new relays. This is quite difficult if you do not have professional soldering equipment or skills. Take a look on the Bimmerfest forum and search for GM5. There is a good write up and photos on the subjecy. You can buy the relays from a guy called Scott in the US. He can also repair the GM5 for you but not so easy if you are in Belgium. I bought the relays from him. I removed the GM5 and removed the PCB. I got a local electronics repair shop to do the removal / replacement soldering and it worked fine. If you replace the GM5, firstly they are expensive (new) and you will have to take the car to a dealer to have it re programmed to your vehicle as it has the vehicle options programmed into it. Hope that helps. Good luck!
Greg330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #3
Arturito_Bxl

My Ride: 320 CiC '04 M-Pack
Dear Greg, Thank you very much for your comments and for sharing your experience and knowledge on this issue. Eventually I've found an electronic engineer in the UK who will repair and reprogram my GM5 for one fifth of the price charged by an official dealer. With best regards from cloudy Brussels.
Arturito_Bxl is offline   Reply With Quote