E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-18-2009, 11:15 PM   #21
menncars

My Ride: 2005 325i Auto
Dude, nice write-up. I'm half done but got stuck on the rear seat reading lights. Thought I was going to bust something so I came back to the forum to look for more info. I'll try your tip. Thanks.

With LEDs I noticed the vanity lights would drive me crazy turning on or off with the position of the sun shade. With a bulb, light intensity would weaken or strengthen which I found less annoying. For these lights, plus the rear plate, I simply went xeon bulb over LED.
menncars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #22
kkeddy

My Ride: 325i
um, i realized that there is dimming with the xenon bulbs, so im guessing wit the leds, it'll just turn off instantly right?
2001 m3
kkeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:04 PM   #23
JK1150

My Ride: 2004 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeddy View Post
um, i realized that there is dimming with the xenon bulbs, so im guessing wit the leds, it'll just turn off instantly right?
I got mine from JLevi, but I assume it's the same across the board. They will dim nicely to about 25% brightness and will shut off. The effect is close enough to OEM.

As for the DIY, buying from JLevi I did not have to do anything to adjust the fitment of the dome light (no dremeling or taking off the cover), it fit nicely.
JK1150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:10 PM   #24
JK1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by menncars View Post
Dude, nice write-up. I'm half done but got stuck on the rear seat reading lights. Thought I was going to bust something so I came back to the forum to look for more info. I'll try your tip. Thanks.

With LEDs I noticed the vanity lights would drive me crazy turning on or off with the position of the sun shade. With a bulb, light intensity would weaken or strengthen which I found less annoying. For these lights, plus the rear plate, I simply went xeon bulb over LED.
I got stuck on the c-pillar reading lights too. look very closely at the points posted in the DIY. FWIW, I used the following pry points in the attached pic. I stole that pic from another diy about removing the C pillar.

I've had LEDs for a while, but I didn't know that the vanity light intensified or got dimmer based on the mirror position, I thought the light went on or off even with a bulb. Can someone else confirm this?

EDIT: Pic is upside down but you get the idea. Those points worked for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0362[1].jpg
Views:	366
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	299244  

Last edited by JK1150; 01-19-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #25
kkeddy

oo ic, i live in canada, i got some led bulbs from my store (i work at car accessory store) 194 bulbs, i nvr tried them on my car, i guess ill post back if other generic led bulbs have the semi dimming function!
2001 m3
Old 01-19-2009, 03:21 PM   #26
pat

My Ride: e92 M3 / Camaro SS
Send a message via MSN to pat Send a message via Skype™ to pat
Good write-up... I did mine (ebay) about a month ago. However, I did have to use a dremmel to get them to fit.
Old 01-20-2009, 03:14 AM   #27
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1150 View Post
I got mine from JLevi, but I assume it's the same across the board. They will dim nicely to about 25% brightness and will shut off. The effect is close enough to OEM.

As for the DIY, buying from JLevi I did not have to do anything to adjust the fitment of the dome light (no dremeling or taking off the cover), it fit nicely.
yea but they are also overpriced and not as bright. already had them once before.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:15 AM   #28
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK1150 View Post
I got stuck on the c-pillar reading lights too. look very closely at the points posted in the DIY. FWIW, I used the following pry points in the attached pic. I stole that pic from another diy about removing the C pillar.

I've had LEDs for a while, but I didn't know that the vanity light intensified or got dimmer based on the mirror position, I thought the light went on or off even with a bulb. Can someone else confirm this?

EDIT: Pic is upside down but you get the idea. Those points worked for me.
yes it does do the dimming. it's cause of the switch on the side for the pivoting of the mirror position.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #29
JK1150

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
yes it does do the dimming. it's cause of the switch on the side for the pivoting of the mirror position.
ok well I can confirm that the JLevi bulb just goes on or off.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:48 PM   #30
sillieidiot

yea i get it to go on/off/barely lit/half on that's like pretty much everything you can do with a bulb lol

Old 01-20-2009, 08:29 PM   #31
kkeddy

i did half of the diys, i realized he leds i bought from my store aren't that bright, gonna exchange for something brighter! but deifnitely looks nicer lool
2001 m3
Old 01-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #32
jonmc

My Ride: 2001 330Xi
Do the LED lights pull less power from the battery? We do a lot of car camping and with the trunk and open and shut a lot, have had problems with the battery getting drained (had to have a boost).
jonmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:43 PM   #33
sillieidiot

Yes, they pull less power. How long do you leave the lights on? I left them on for an hour straight so that my friend could take pictures of them.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #34
FocusXi

Where would one find LED's that are slightly more along the lines of 8000k?

Also, there is a light that shines down from where the map light is that illuminates where the shifter area is. Its normally orange, how do you change that one as well?
FocusXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #35
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by stussystatus View Post
I was going to buy the ones from JleviSW, but those pictures gotten me. My interior looks 10x better and updated. I haven't installed the passenger footwell ones yet but will do soon. Great product Mike@F1Autohaus! Thanks for DIY Sillieidiot.

Follow sillieidiots DIY and you should be good to go! I was just so eager to installed these, even in -14deg temperature lol! Here are you teasers. Like sillie said they are not really that blue but pure white, ~5500k.
Great pics! Glad you like them

Cameras have a tough time picking up the actual Pure White color indeed.

Here are some new photos the Sillieidiot took with his friend's DSLR:

5500k Pure White

There's no blue hue in real life:

5500k LED License and Reverse:
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:45 PM   #36
kkeddy

for the led reverse, wouldn't the "bulb check light" go on .. because leds uses less power? or does the one you sell have like a built in resistor to compensate for the less power used by led's
2001 m3
Old 01-23-2009, 12:24 AM   #37
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusXi View Post
Where would one find LED's that are slightly more along the lines of 8000k?

Also, there is a light that shines down from where the map light is that illuminates where the shifter area is. Its normally orange, how do you change that one as well?
there is no 8000k LEDs for interior. blue is probably the closest. as for the 2 orange LEDs, you need to know how to solder then find the correct LEDs and replace

Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #38
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeddy View Post
for the led reverse, wouldn't the "bulb check light" go on .. because leds uses less power? or does the one you sell have like a built in resistor to compensate for the less power used by led's
apparently, there is no rear warning lights for the reverse lights to begin with. so you just plug n play (literally)

Old 01-23-2009, 10:57 AM   #39
S4M3

My Ride: M3
have you guys experienced license plate leds going out easily? I went thru so many license plate leds...they just would not last.
I wonder if interior lights will be the same.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #40
kkeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
there is no 8000k LEDs for interior. blue is probably the closest. as for the 2 orange LEDs, you need to know how to solder then find the correct LEDs and replace
i beleive there is actually 8000k LEDs for interior bulbs, you can find them...i think so. 8000k is blue isn;t it?

i just finished the led diy mod. the bulbs i used were the eurolite 194s, and for the middle on in the front when the door opens, i managed to fit a led 921 bulb in there. its a 5 led bulb, in different angles...one shooting down, and 4 different sides. the bulbs i have is not pure blue. but white-ish-blue. will definitely take some pictures tonight to show u guys!
2001 m3