E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #141
Brilliant

My Ride: E46M3 Blk/Blk
Thanks for posting about how to get those lights out. Its about 4 hours too late for me though. I mangled mine getting them out. TIS really doesnt show what needs to be done. Its opposite I think, or at least how I read it. Anyway... new housings on the way.
Brilliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #142
mekaneck

My Ride: 2003 325xi
I personally think it's ten times easier to just remove the C-pillar liner with the light still attached to it. There are just two snaps near the top of it, so if you grab up near the top and pull it'll come right off.
Here's a post of the back of the trim so you know where the snaps are.

2003 325xi Black
mekaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:46 PM   #143
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
yea you can do it that way too i guess. iono it wasn't so bad my first time. just take it easy, and if nothing is happening add a little more force and keep going until you got something.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 03:52 AM   #144
rapper4u

My Ride: 320 CI
Hi there ... kinda new here and new to the BMW family ... my little problem is that as many of u guys i did replace all my interior lights with LED lights ... everything works fine beside the "bulb check light" which is on for both reverse lights ... i've read about that 40 Ohm resistor but that one was for the footwork lights ... any idea how can i solve the problem ? i got a '99 320 CI
rapper4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:32 PM   #145
sarconi11

My Ride: 2002 Black 325i
Hey guys I ran into the common problem where a few of my rear LEDs wont turn on. I went ahead and purchased a resister that was suggested on this thread, but my problem now is Im not sure where to put the resiter or how to install it. If anyone can give me feedback on how to fix this it would be greatly apreciated!
sarconi11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #146
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarconi11 View Post
Hey guys I ran into the common problem where a few of my rear LEDs wont turn on. I went ahead and purchased a resister that was suggested on this thread, but my problem now is Im not sure where to put the resiter or how to install it. If anyone can give me feedback on how to fix this it would be greatly apreciated!
Did you try reversing the bulb positions? Most LEDs I have come across have polarity.

I am running all "low powered" LEDs all around and they work fine--still have yet to find license plate LEDs that are the closest in color and brightness with the latest E92's. Then, all I need is sidemarkers and front corners with LEDs and I'll be fully converted to LEDs (except the fogs and DRLs/high beams).

I have not had the need for any resistors at all, except whatever came with the eagle eyes for the rears, but for all internal LEDs, I have no resistors and it all works fine
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:23 AM   #147
sarconi11

Yes I have tried switching bulb positions and its no help.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:35 AM   #148
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 330ci
^ You need more resistance on the interior circuit
Mike@F1 AutohaŘs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #149
sarconi11

Yes and thats done through a resistor correct? I just need to know how to install this thing, considering my electrical skills are probably not up to par ha.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:23 AM   #150
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapper4u View Post
Hi there ... kinda new here and new to the BMW family ... my little problem is that as many of u guys i did replace all my interior lights with LED lights ... everything works fine beside the "bulb check light" which is on for both reverse lights ... i've read about that 40 Ohm resistor but that one was for the footwork lights ... any idea how can i solve the problem ? i got a '99 320 CI
you shouldn't have a bulb out warning for the reverse lights at all. are you sure it's even that?

Old 05-31-2010, 12:25 AM   #151
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarconi11 View Post
which ones don't turn on? usually the ones that's comes on with the center dome light will be out. if the center dome light is still on, it could be the polarity of your bulbs. if not, then i would just use one incandescent bulb and go around and stick it in each spot until you can find one where they all light up with that bulb in place. then that is where you want to put the resistor.

most people have this problem in the driver's side footwell so you might want to try there first.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #152
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
Did you try reversing the bulb positions? Most LEDs I have come across have polarity.

I am running all "low powered" LEDs all around and they work fine--still have yet to find license plate LEDs that are the closest in color and brightness with the latest E92's. Then, all I need is sidemarkers and front corners with LEDs and I'll be fully converted to LEDs (except the fogs and DRLs/high beams).

I have not had the need for any resistors at all, except whatever came with the eagle eyes for the rears, but for all internal LEDs, I have no resistors and it all works fine
most of the LEDs sold won't come close because they are using neutral white LEDs. and most vendors use cool white. the OEM LEDs are not that bright tbh. you just see more of the plate because it has more usable white/yellow light

Old 06-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #153
Black n Tan

My Ride: 01' 330i, VW Corrado
Hey guys, I installed this kit the kit from khoalty on my 330i and everything works fine except the two license plate lights. They work fine but they cause a bulb failure light on my mfa. Any help?
Black n Tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #154
profor

My Ride: E46 320d 2003
hide somewhere normal bulbs and wire them parallely to LEDs
profor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 01:46 AM   #155
Spee D

My Ride: '02 325ci
first time doing a DIY to my car... and im a little confused.

exactly how would i install a resistor.

Also, I have the 5 light problem (dome, 2 rears, both footwalls). At first, the dome and left side light where working but when i switched over to the right one it would turn on. Eventually, it lead to the dome and left light now working. Also, the two footwells worked once i got them in but suddenly shut off. I tried putting one of the stock bulbs in them and nothing happened.

This is how we chill

Last edited by Spee D; 06-22-2010 at 01:52 AM.
Spee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #156
pez319

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i TiAg
Hey guys, this is my first post, I just joined. I really want to do this swap. I found 37mm Festoon LED bulbs on amazon for $8 each. I was wondering if the 2mm is really going to make a difference? I figure I can just bend the contacts inward to hold it in place.

Thanks!
pez319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #157
sillieidiot

no it won't make a difference if the bulb is smaller. if it's bigger than, it's harder to make work.

Old 10-27-2010, 02:21 PM   #158
pez319

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i TiAg
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
no it won't make a difference if the bulb is smaller. if it's bigger than, it's harder to make work.
Awesome! Thanks for the write up too...
pez319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #159
sillieidiot

no problem. i also have a vid of me taking out the rear if you have trouble with that. it's hidden somewhere in this thread. i wasn't able to edit it in my original post

Old 11-09-2010, 04:44 PM   #160
nightrunner20

My Ride: will eat your dust
Send a message via AIM to nightrunner20
This is so frusterating. Installed all led lights. Now the interior lights won't work at all. None turn on when door is opened. I'm guessing I blew a fuse or need more resistance