E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
sigep

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Update on My Check Engine Soon Light

So i picked up my 2004 330i ZHP from the dealership and they indicated that it could be one or two things: 1. Possible Secondary Air Valve or 2. Reprogram software with latest software SIB 12-30-06 7561520. I heard of the 40.1 update but not the 7561520....can anybody tell me what version is this software? Also the fault code was 2761. They did not change out the Secondary Air Valve but they Reprogramed my car with the SIB 12-30-06...I tried to do a search for the SIB but I could not find anything on that SIB. I guess if the Service Engine Soon light comes on again it has to be the Secondary Air Valve.
sigep is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
tradingflare

My Ride: needs a mechanic
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigep View Post
So i picked up my 2004 330i ZHP from the dealership and they indicated that it could be one or two things: 1. Possible Secondary Air Valve or 2. Reprogram software with latest software SIB 12-30-06 7561520. I heard of the 40.1 update but not the 7561520....can anybody tell me what version is this software? Also the fault code was 2761. They did not change out the Secondary Air Valve but they Reprogramed my car with the SIB 12-30-06...I tried to do a search for the SIB but I could not find anything on that SIB. I guess if the Service Engine Soon light comes on again it has to be the Secondary Air Valve.
Does the "Secondary Air Valve" you mentioned in your post have something to do with the Secondary Air Pump? Or, are they one in the same?
tradingflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 PM   #3
sigep

It indicates Valve....not pump.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
jbeurotech
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E46 with 254K
That code is commonly a software issue. If everything check out software update is the first step. If code repeats then very close inspection of the secondary air valve and secondary air mass meter is needed

Seth Thorson
Service Manager/BMW Tech
JB Eurotech Service "Your Reasonable Dealer Alternative"

General Questions can be sent to appointment@jbeurotech.com

1. Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
2. Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
jbeurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
sigep

Thanks for the feed back. I just wish I knew what software they used. I hear alot about the 40.1 software update. The tech idicated that he used the the software update as per SIB 12-30-06 with 7561520. If anyone knows what or how to decode my software update please chime in. I have a 2004 330i ZHP and i know they had a few software issues.....I hope this is the correct update. Also, they wanted to charge me over $200.00 for the updated software. I told the service advisor that the software update was a SIB and that I should not be charged. My service advisor talked it over with the manager and they did not charge me. I think that is fair due to the software being updated. Thank You BMW of Corpus Christi.....Great Experience with dealership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
That code is commonly a software issue. If everything check out software update is the first step. If code repeats then very close inspection of the secondary air valve and secondary air mass meter is needed
Old 10-07-2008, 10:25 PM   #6
sigep

Does anyone know what the latest software update is?
Old 01-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #7
sigep

Well I was taking in my 2004 330i ZHP to the dealer for a coolant flush and to replace my fuel filter when my Service Engine Soon Light came on again. I took my car to BMW of Corpus Christi where another Fault code of 2761 appeared. Since they have already updated my software they are going to replace the Arresting Valve at No charge. Has anyone had there Arresting Valve replaced and what does it do? I am very pleased with my local dealership BMW of Corpus Christi as they are taking responsiblity for the problem.
Old 01-11-2009, 12:27 PM   #8
sigep

Has anyone had the fault code 2761?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:43 PM   #9
sigep

Today BMW of Corpus Christi installed Arresting Valve at no charge due to being a previous problem. I also had my differental fluid changed with Royal Purple. Previous my Service Engine Soon Light came on and they updated my software and know replaced Arresting Valve at no charge. I know they are alot of dealerships with bad experiences but I have had Excellent service at BMW of Corpus Christi. I hope this repairs my fault codes. Also, what does the Arresting Valve actually do anyway?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:18 AM   #10
sigep

I was thinking about changing my transmission fluid which I have an automatic. I have a 2004 330i ZHP are those ZF trannys or the GM trannys? Was thinking about using either Royal purple or AmsOill ATF.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #11
gttriley

My Ride: '04 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sigep View Post
Has anyone had the fault code 2761?
I'm not sure why you say code 2761 indicates valve, not pump. The Peake Research manual gives you a code definition of "Secondar (sic) Air System."

I just got this code last week. It turned out to be the secondary air pump relay. As soon as I put in the new relay, the SES light went out on the dash. This is the salmon colored relay behind the glove box. You need to remove the glove box to get to it. The part number of the relay is 12631742690. It's $6.66 at Tischer BMW.

To remove the glove box, remove the 3 screws along the top, direclty behind the glove box door, then remove the two on each side near the strut and strap that hold the door up. Finally, there's one other screw on the bottom right side of the glove box. Pull the entire box straight out to remove.

Last edited by gttriley; 01-20-2009 at 07:06 PM.
gttriley is offline   Reply With Quote