E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
WilkesE46

My Ride: 04' 330Ci 6SP
Adj. Fuel Pressure Regulator

Just out of curiosity, since most E46's feature a fuel pressure regulator built directly into our fuel filter (I was examining my replacement unit this morning and noticed it), is there anyway to hook up an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for situations where we have hit the stock limit?
WilkesE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:20 PM   #2
WilkesE46

Any thoughts?
Old 01-14-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilkesE46 View Post
Just out of curiosity, since most E46's feature a fuel pressure regulator built directly into our fuel filter (I was examining my replacement unit this morning and noticed it), is there anyway to hook up an adjustable fuel pressure regulator for situations where we have hit the stock limit?
That's a pretty vague question.

What are you planning on doing that you "think" you might need one.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
WilkesE46

well I was thinking, in the case of forced induction, how have others dealt with fuel issues? How would we go about installing an adjustable unit in our cars? Is it possible? That was really my question
Old 01-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
I have a little trick we use at the shop, the fuel pressure regulator on the stock fuel filter is adjustable...... but only once maybe twice and only up.
The way most regulators work is they adjust the spring pressure on the backside of the diaphram sooooo. Get a bar clamp as long as the filter, your gonna use this to squeeze the regulator. Take a 16mm or so size socket and center it on the end of the regulator, on the other end take a piece of wood 2X4 and drill 2 holes in it where the two hose connections need to stick through cause you DON'T want the press on the end of the hose connections. Jig this contraption up in the car with a pressure gauge on the outlet end and fire up the pump, or you can just cycle the key to kick it on. Crank in on the bar clamp and watch the pressure rise .

I know this sounds like an accident waiting to happen but it really works and if its worth it to you I have found that with a straight through design muffler a little pressure helps, I run my 330 at 60psi. But with stock exhaust any more pressure and its wayy too rich.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #6
WilkesE46

haha, thanks for the DIY f1004fun, but I was actually eyeing an adjustable fuel pressure regulator from SARD racing out of japan to potentially place on my 330ci. I was hoping you guys would be able to let me know how this might be done:
Old 01-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
WilkesE46

So do you guys think that SARD unit would be able to fit? If so, how? This regulator seems to be in my budget
Old 01-20-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
NickG@TechniqueTuning
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 330ci Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1004fun View Post
I have a little trick we use at the shop, the fuel pressure regulator on the stock fuel filter is adjustable...... but only once maybe twice and only up.
The way most regulators work is they adjust the spring pressure on the backside of the diaphram sooooo. Get a bar clamp as long as the filter, your gonna use this to squeeze the regulator. Take a 16mm or so size socket and center it on the end of the regulator, on the other end take a piece of wood 2X4 and drill 2 holes in it where the two hose connections need to stick through cause you DON'T want the press on the end of the hose connections. Jig this contraption up in the car with a pressure gauge on the outlet end and fire up the pump, or you can just cycle the key to kick it on. Crank in on the bar clamp and watch the pressure rise .

I know this sounds like an accident waiting to happen but it really works and if its worth it to you I have found that with a straight through design muffler a little pressure helps, I run my 330 at 60psi. But with stock exhaust any more pressure and its wayy too rich.
What you did, raising the fuel pressure, was a complete waste of time and money. By raising the fuel pressure, you richened up the mixture. The ECU will detect this richer mixture (via the oxygen sensors during closed loop operation) and adapt to it (lambda adaption will be negative, ie, it's pulling fuel out). The net result, after lambda adaption settles, is the EXACT same fueling and mixture that you had with the stock fuel pressure regulator.
NickG@TechniqueTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:19 PM   #9
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
On the other hand, you can raise it enough that it'll just keep setting off the check engine light.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:38 PM   #10
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
I forgot to mention that I have a Unichip installed, I have tuned that adaptations back to zero and adjusted the open loop to an even 13:1, I use the OT-1 from Innovate to datalog a wideband input and the DME's fuel trims with RPM to read back and adjust the Unichip. We have been doing the supercharged Mini's like this also and it's been working pretty good.

As far as the fuel pressure deal I wanted a better spray without spending any money so I just bumped up the pressure.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjustable, filter, fuel, pressure, regulator